Oil advice and recommendations

Started by oilman, March 2, 2006, 12:11

oilman

I get asked many questions about oil so I thought a thread here for all oil related questions would be a good idea and build into a FAQ or reference point for others.

So, put your oil questions here but please give the following information if you would like a recommendation:

Make
Model
Year
Engine size/type

Any mods

Type of use (road/track)

Additional info (max oil temps, current oil used)

What do you want a recommendation for? Engine, Gearbox etc?

I hope this will help and become a useful thread

Regards
Simon
Use the code MR2OC and get 10% Club Discount
oilman\'s website: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/ - register for news and offers
email: sales@opieoils.co.ukphone: 01209 202944

Anonymous

Make  Toyota
Model MR2 Roadster
Year   2000
Engine size/type 1800 1ZZ FE

Any mods

Type of use (road/track) Fast road/occaisional track

No idea re oil temp but  water temp guage @ 1/2 way~90deg?

oilman

I would recommend 5w-40 synthetic, if you are doing trackdays make it a decent one though.

Cheers
Simon

roger

Quote from: "oilman"make it a decent one though.

Cheers
Simon

Simon, I am not sure if I am alone, but whilst the rating (5W-40) is a fairly simple idea to get hold of, how do we rate manufacturers (Castrol, Mobil, Silkoleen, Motul, Halfords etc. etc.). I reckon most will do 5W-40 and some even have different products on the same rating.

How would we (or you) rate them, and on what basis. If you are not track daying, can you afford to put in the "non" decent one?

Thanks for your help. Roger
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

Make: Toyota
Model: MR2
Year: 2000
Engine size/type: 1800 /1ZZ-FE

Any mods: No

Type of use (road/track): Road use, driven hard when warm. Mileage approaching 50k

Additional info (max oil temps, current oil used) Currently using 5w 30 semi syn as per owners manual. Car is drinking up to 1 litre every 2k at the moment on this though..  s:( :( s:(  Toyota tell me this is within tolerance!!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

What do you want a recommendation for? Engine, Gearbox etc? Engine please.

Cheers

Roo

oilman

Quote from: "roger"
Quote from: "oilman"make it a decent one though.

Cheers
Simon

Simon, I am not sure if I am alone, but whilst the rating (5W-40) is a fairly simple idea to get hold of, how do we rate manufacturers (Castrol, Mobil, Silkoleen, Motul, Halfords etc. etc.). I reckon most will do 5W-40 and some even have different products on the same rating.

How would we (or you) rate them, and on what basis. If you are not track daying, can you afford to put in the "non" decent one?

Thanks for your help. Roger

If you are seriously tracking the car then I would recommend that you look at these two race 5w-40's on our website.

Silkolene Pro S 5w-40
Motul 300V 5w-40

Street 5w-40's that I recommend are:

Fuchs Titan Supersyn SL 5w-40
Motul 8100 5w-40

Cheers
Simon

oilman

Quote from: "Roo"Make: Toyota
Model: MR2
Engine size/type: 1800 /1ZZ-FE

Type of use (road/track): Road use, driven hard when warm. Mileage approaching 50k

Additional info (max oil temps, current oil used) Currently using 5w 30 semi syn as per owners manual. Car is drinking up to 1 litre every 2k at the moment on this though..  s:( :( s:(  Toyota tell me this is within tolerance!!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

What do you want a recommendation for? Engine, Gearbox etc? Engine please.

Cheers

Roo

You would get better consumption from a 5w-40 synthetic, look at the street ones I have recommended above.

Cheers
Simon

Anonymous

i just put in castrol gtx 10/40... is that ok for the car? if not i'll get it changed asap

Model: MRS
Engine size/type: 1800 /1ZZ-FE ?

Type of use (road/track): Road use, driven hard when warm.

Mileage: 21k

Anonymous

1ZZ Hass Turbo
260bhp-ish @ 10psi
30K miles

Simon, when I spoke to you at JAE you recommended I use Motul 5W-40 for my engine, which I happily bought and used. When I took my car to Thor, they recommended a thicker oil as the engine was noisy as hell when warm, so I'm now trying Mobil1 15W-50.

I've read your explanations on why you don't need as thick an oil as most people think before, and I'm not trying to start a Opie-vs-Thor debate here, but at the moment I'm tending to side with Thor on this one. My engine is far less rattley than before (expected, obviously), but I'm just curious on your thoughts on this. Is a rattley engine a bad one? Or am I sacrificing power unnecessarily?

Anonymous

Simon,

I've been working on the car today and noticed the oil was low so i've referred to the service manual and it has two recomendations, one is 0w-40 and 5w50 every 15000km, second is 5w40 every 7500km, which should i use, i only need to top it up?

oilman

Quote from: "RoadRunner"i just put in castrol gtx 10/40... is that ok for the car? if not i'll get it changed asap

Model: MRS
Engine size/type: 1800 /1ZZ-FE ?

Type of use (road/track): Road use, driven hard when warm.

Mileage: 21k

The GTX 10w-40 is ok, adaquate.

If the car is driven hard I would look at a 5w-40 full synthetic as the quality option.

Cheers

Simon.

oilman

Quote from: "Ekona"1ZZ Hass Turbo
260bhp-ish @ 10psi
30K miles

Simon, when I spoke to you at JAE you recommended I use Motul 5W-40 for my engine, which I happily bought and used. When I took my car to Thor, they recommended a thicker oil as the engine was noisy as hell when warm, so I'm now trying Mobil1 15W-50.

I've read your explanations on why you don't need as thick an oil as most people think before, and I'm not trying to start a Opie-vs-Thor debate here, but at the moment I'm tending to side with Thor on this one. My engine is far less rattley than before (expected, obviously), but I'm just curious on your thoughts on this. Is a rattley engine a bad one? Or am I sacrificing power unnecessarily?

All the 15w-50 is doing is dapening down the noise, once an engine gets modded to an extreme they tend to be noisy, this is not a bad thing but if you are happier with the 15w-50 then stick with it.

Cheers

Simon.

oilman

Quote from: "bossman23780"Simon,

I've been working on the car today and noticed the oil was low so i've referred to the service manual and it has two recomendations, one is 0w-40 and 5w50 every 15000km, second is 5w40 every 7500km, which should i use, i only need to top it up?

5w-40 will be fine mate.

Cheers

Simon.

Anonymous

s:) :) s:)  cheers simon

kanujunkie

Make Toyota(unless someone else makes the MR2 roadster!)
Model MR2 Roadster
Year 2003
Engine size/type 1798cc 1ZZ-FE

Any mods Engine wise, dual exhaust, Apexi power intake, Unichip, RPS Flywheel, RPS Clutch

Type of use (road/track) Yep, both

Additional info (max oil temps, current oil used) Mobil 1, Motul RBF600 brake fluid

[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

philster_d

Read the label, Fully synthetic oil is best but most expensive. Semi synthetic doesnt necisarilarly mean half, just that it contains some synthetic oil and some non (even a low percentage is still called semi so buyer beware).

Phil

oilman

Quote from: "kanujunkie"Make Toyota(unless someone else makes the MR2 roadster!)
Model MR2 Roadster
Year 2003
Engine size/type 1798cc 1ZZ-FE

Any mods Engine wise, dual exhaust, Apexi power intake, Unichip, RPS Flywheel, RPS Clutch

Type of use (road/track) Yep, both

Additional info (max oil temps, current oil used) Mobil 1, Motul RBF600 brake fluid

Hi,

For your roadster we would suggest a 0w-40/5w-40 full synthetic, so the Mobil, assumin you are on 0w-40 is fine.

For the gearbox, a 75w-90 gear oil, again synthetic is best, have a look at Motul and Silkolene.

Cheers

Simon.

Anonymous

Model: MR2 Roadster
Year: 2001 31K
Engine size/type: 1.8 vvti

Type of use: Road

I want the car to runner a bit smoother with less engine noise and wear. I do drive hard and i'm burning about 500ml every 1500miles.

Many Thanks
   Ryan

heathstimpson

Make Toyota
Model MR2 Roadster
Year 2003 23K miles
Engine size/type 1800 1ZZ

Any mods Unichip/H&S twin exhaust/TRD panel filter and H&S air intake (good chance I may be going for the TTE turbo install but have a service in four weeks so will be changing the oil then).

Type of use (road/track) Road

Additional info (max oil temps, current oil used) Rubbish Toyota drop in during service.

What do you want a recommendation for? Engine, Gearbox etc? Engine & gearbox.
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

oilman

Quote from: "extremeMR2"Make: Toyota
Model: MR2 Roadster
Year: 2001 31K
Engine size/type: 1.8 vvti

Type of use: Road

I want the car to runner a bit smoother with less engine noise and wear. I do drive hard and i'm burning about 500ml every 1500miles.

Many Thanks
   Ryan

Use a decent street 5w-40 like Motul 8100 5w-40 or Fuchs Titan Supersyn SL 5w-40 and you will find the car a lot smoother.

Cheers
Simon

jonytom

Make - Toyota
Model - MR2
Year - 2003
Engine size/type 1.8 1ZZ

Any mods - Markiii air inlet pipe and TRD air filter

Type of use - road (regularly gets a good half hour thrashing on country lanes)

Just got some Mobil Super-S 10w40 semi-synthetic. Semi-synthetic used up until now (from dealer). Any thoughts?
[size=75]Black \'03, black leather, TTE lowering springs, Markiii pipe, Corky\'s plate, J-Spec steering wheel badge, club windscreen sticker, red calipers with Toyota styling, Toyota GB body kit, Goodyear F1 Eagles (GS-D3), Dev\'s keyhole covers, black (painted) J-Spec nose badge[/size]

oilman

Quote from: "jonytom"Make - Toyota
Model - MR2
Year - 2003
Engine size/type 1.8 1ZZ

Any mods - Markiii air inlet pipe and TRD air filter

Type of use - road (regularly gets a good half hour thrashing on country lanes)

Just got some Mobil Super-S 10w40 semi-synthetic. Semi-synthetic used up until now (from dealer). Any thoughts?

Hi,

Yes the oil is fine, however semi synthetic is really the cost option, the quality route is for a 5w-40 full synthetic.

Cheers

Simon.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "heathstimpson"Make Toyota
Model MR2 Roadster
Year 2003 23K miles
Engine size/type 1800 1ZZ

Any mods Unichip/H&S twin exhaust/TRD panel filter and H&S air intake (good chance I may be going for the TTE turbo install but have a service in four weeks so will be changing the oil then).

Type of use (road/track) Road

Additional info (max oil temps, current oil used) Rubbish Toyota drop in during service.

What do you want a recommendation for? Engine, Gearbox etc? Engine & gearbox.
You've forgotten me Oilman  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

make toyota
model mr2 roadster
engine 1.81zz
year 2002

no mods.

general use with some "spirited" driving

oilman

Hi Guys,

Anyone need an oil recommendation?