'Sludgy' gear change

Started by Anonymous, March 6, 2006, 16:36

Anonymous

Hi all,

Whilst out for a blast yesterday, I noticed that gradually my gears were getting harder to slot home. Whilst they still slot in without any grinding or noise, it feels like I have to put extra pressure to get the stick to where it needs to be to enter each gear. Sludgy is the best term I can use: It kinda feels like the gearbox is full of treacle.

Now my understanding of how a gearbox works is minimal, but it doesn't feel like there's anything mechanically wrong. I brought this topic up with the guys at work (not experts by any means, but they've been through their fair share of ripping cars apart and modding them), and one of them suggested that it could possible be the gearbox oil: Basically, with the extra heat I'm now producing, I could have boiled the oil and this is causing the problem I now have. Possible?

I have no idea what oil is in there (bad, I know): It was definately replaced when I had the clutch changed by a small garage near me, but then it has been back to Toyota since to have the gaiter on the gearbox driveshaft replaced (would they have changed the oil then?). This is not really the ideal week to start having problems with the car, what with Anglesey at the weekend and all, so I'm a little unsure of where to go form here.

Is it the oil? Would a simple change to anything be worth a try? What should I ideally be putting in there? Is it possible my gearbox is knackered or on it's way out? Any help is appreciated.

Dan

roger

Not sure, but can I add another thought? Are you still using the original rubber gear cable bushings?

If it is very hot in there, maybe they've gone all mushy and causing a sort of lag between lever push and gear engagement.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

Yeah, I am still using those... That's a good point actually, as I think Sean has the brass ones and he's driven his car way more than I have mine with the turbo on.

I've had a play with the shifter mechanism by hand from the engine bay, and it seems to be OK from that end. TBH, I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to be looking at when people say the bushes...  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Anonymous

have you installed a short shifter - with mine i had to regrease the ball joint at the bottom of the shifter stick- made a world of difference.

I guess you could check as it may be this on an OEM stick too?

Anonymous

I do have a short-shifter - a C's one to be exact - but I promise you I put about half a ton of grease on the bottom of the ball though. Got more on me mind, but that's another story...  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Shifting to any of the first 4 gears seems to be the hardest, but they're all sludgier overall.

spit

Dan - the brass bushes for the gear linkage are shown/sold here:  Bushy

I'm 7500 miles in and haven't noticed a problem with the high-mileage stock rubber ones, but its worth a poke around (although, if anything, the C2 would suffer heat more because the turbo is mounted a$$ over t!t which brings the exhaust closer to the gearbox).

Changing the gearbox oil is a relatively quick and dirty job, so worth a punt, although I recall ?Tem? mentioning in another thread that you won't feel the benefit for 100 miles or so.

Worst case scenario, I suppose, is that your oil level wasn't fully replenished by MrT when your gaiter went - or it became contaminated..... but as with most of my posts I'm just guessing   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

OT PS Your package arrived today Thanx.

Ste
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

Glad you got it, bud.

And thanks for the linky, I now know exactly what I'm supposed to be looking at!  s:D :D s:D   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

I think I might try a gearbox oil change if I can fit it in this week, and get some new shifter bushes from Mr T for now (I'll get those brass ones eventually, but I need a quick fix this week).

Don't let that put people off suggesting other things though, in case I'm being silly again and missing the obvious.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

roger

Quote from: Ekona, and get some new shifter bushes from Mr T for now (I'll get those brass ones eventually, but I need a quick fix this week).
quote]

Got a set of brass ones sitting in the garage, I want to keep them, but you can borrow them, Dan.

Trouble is I'm off out now, not back until late. I'll take them to work and we can talk tomorrow if you would like them posted to you.
Roger

Anonymous

That would be great, Roger! I'll PM you my address, and then I'll get a set of new ones on order and get them posted straight to you if you like.

/me hugs Roger all manly-like

spit

Quote from: "Ekona"/me hugs Roger all manly-like

You're doing nothing to scotch those rumours Dan  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

Why bother? I started them...  s8) 8) s8)   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

markiii

not sure if it is your oil, but redline mt90 transformed mne
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Well, the car is in the local garage getting the oil replaced with MT-90 (not Redline sadly as they couldn't get hold of the stuff quick enough, but another brand), and thanks to the kindness of Roger I'll be able to put the brass bushes on tomorrow/Thursday.

I really hope this fixes it, as I don't fancy replacing the gear box...  s:( :( s:(

Two's Company

Dan - Are you not still in warranty? Or is it a Euro import?

Slacey

Quote from: "Two's Company"Dan - Are you not still in warranty? Or is it a Euro import?
I don't think that really matters - 10psi of Hass boost put paid to any warranty on the drivetrain! (EU imports are covered anyway in the UK for warranty claims, for reference).
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

roger

Quote from: "Ekona"/me hugs Roger all manly-like

Taken me 24 hours to see this...   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

I'm not into 3somes you know...well not with 2 other blokes, anyway.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Roger

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey"
Quote from: "Two's Company"Dan - Are you not still in warranty? Or is it a Euro import?
I don't think that really matters - 10psi of Hass boost put paid to any warranty on the drivetrain! (EU imports are covered anyway in the UK for warranty claims, for reference).

Oh I dunno, they replaced the gaiter bit by the driveshaft under warranty, and the soft-top... If worst does come to the worst, I'll ask the question regardless of what the probable answer will be.  s8) 8) s8)

@Roger:  s:( :( s:(   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

roger

Dan,

Still having gear lever / box problems?

If so another thought.....i think somebody had this before.

Whilst they were messing about with the gear lever, what had happened was the main spring thing (see the two ends poking out from the sides of the vertical bar....

were not fitted right. Any chance yours might be broke??

This was probably more a difficulty in actually getting the lever into gear, rather than something from the gearbox end........but you never know...........
Roger

Anonymous

Thanks Roger, but I've just got the car back from the garage and the oil change seems to have sorted it. The shifting is perfect now in every gear, so it looks like either my gearbox oil was knackered and crap, or I had indeed 'boiled' it beyond use.

I've not put your brass bushes in yet (came today, ta!), but I'll take them with me to Anglesea just in case I need to try them. Stu, can you still bring your rubber ones with you too please?

Thanks for the help all.

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Ekona"Stu, can you still bring your rubber ones with you too please?

already packed mate  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Slacey

I had new gearbox oil in yesterday too, although I wasn't struggling lkike you Dan, is has transformed the shift action - a job not to be overlooked IMO.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

markiii

told you

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Yeah, okay: You win!

@Stu: Ta!

Also got Kirk's mounts in which I reckon help as well, although I got a hell of a shock when I first turned the car on and the whole thing shook like I was passing Warp Factor 5!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Tags: