what tyre pressure

Started by Anonymous, March 6, 2006, 19:44

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Chris_h"My quote is similar for RE040 fronts c. £80 each. I haven't shopped around yet, but it seems a far cry from the £50 I have heard mentioned for Toyos.
My recent front Toyo TR1's were £35 each from mytyres.co.uk
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

At Christmas, I bought new Goodyear F1's. Must confess, as it has been handling so well, I haven't checked the tyre pressures.   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

OK, this morning I checked and the fronts were both 28, but one rear was 36 and the other 22 !!!

(The rears are the type with the firmer side walls - maybe that is why I hadn't noticed.)

Anyway, as I couldn't remember the correct pressure I've put both rears to 28. Now I want to play with the pressures, but have no experience as to what I am looking for. What changes in handling should I expect if the tyres are over or under inflated - other than the obvious!

Thanks for any help advice you can offer.

Cheers

Nathan

Anonymous

I must admit I am not sure of what pressures I should be using so it's a case of trial and error for me.  As I mentioned on a different thread, so far the best configuration is 28 front/32 rear.

Tyres are pre-facelift stock size Toyo T1-Rs.  On post face-lift I would probably start at 28 front/34 rear...

Chris_h

I work in BAR - 1.8 to front and 2.2 to rear as per the manual.
Most cars recommend having a slightly higher rear pressure, but with the engine being rearwards, this is why you need much more in the back.

Anyway, I have now dropped the fronts to 1.65 BAR and there seems to be more front end bite and turn-in grip. The nose definitely feels more positive. I changed them 3 times today as I hooned around the country lanes and am settling on this setup for the time being - until I replace all 4 tyres at least. It has finally given me some confidence in the car which was sorely missing in the first few weeks of ownership.

With a previous car (Ford Racing Puma) small changes to the front made huge differences. Lower pressures almost always created more perceived front end grip, but reduced feedback. Raising the fronts made it quite entertaining to drive as it made the fronts more 'skittish'. However, the FRP had a ridiculous amount of front end grip to start with, so losing some front end wasn't a problem.
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

MisterK

Funny you should mention tyre pressures!!  I noticed that my left rear looked a bit down when waxing the car today (must be mad - it was pretty cold!)  Anyway, looked up the pressures in the manual - rears 32 & fronts 26.  Had to put 20lb in the soft one - no wonder it felt a bit wooly.  The 2 rears will need replacing soon.  They are as on vehicle from new June 04 & done 18K YOKOHAMA ADVAN's.  Car driven reasonably steady.  Any suggestions for how much to replace, or alternative make.  Been in touch with Silverstone performance re Turbo & Chrome Style Bar.  Must admit prices far better than Toyota Dealer but will give turbo a miss at £4k - wife said I could use the money to buy her a new car, will twist her arm for the style bar though!

Black 04 MR2 - Only extras TTE Sports spoiler, TTE exhaust & Front Spats - looking at the style bar & would love the turbo!  Not as rich as some of you!
MARK K - Original Owner/ \'Best In Class\' winner, \'Show n Shine\', MR2DC National Event 2017.

Anonymous

So can I summise that for the post 03 (15" front 16" back) the pressures are 26 and 32 PSI respectively?

How about for pre-facelift models?

Anonymous

Follwing on from this thread, I thought I'de check the tyre pressures on my 2 (picked up almost a week ago).

It was 32 front and 26 rear for a preface lift model.

I think someone read the manual wrong   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  . Having reversed that the handling is sooo much better. It also feels a lot more planted on the motorway, it felt a bit skittish before hand.

Anonymous

Likewise, we had a new pair of Toyos put on last week and my wife was complaining that the car felt really skittish.  

Turns out they put 32 in them (front)   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

Having had a search I can't really find the information I'm looking for.

A few weeks ago I had TTE springs fitted with the standard tyres on the front and dunlops on the rear and it felt like a go kart, I loved it. Following peoples opinions on tyres on this site I had it booked in for 4 new toyo t1-r's. I had them fitted and the nursed the car for 500 miles.

I can't seem to get on with the new tyres. The front end seems a bit vague and the car feels skittish again on the motorway.

It feels like the old tyres did when they were set at incorrect pressures. I currently have the pressures set to 26 front and 36 rear. Because most people on here rave about them I'm surprised by my findings. So I'm blaming me before I blame the tyres. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? any suggestions for alternative pressures?

Thanks, Ian.

rtbiscuit

i have them at 30 front, and 34 rear,

i must admit, i was really disappointed when i swapped to toyos, when ifurst drove away i thought, what have  idne these are aweful.

but once igot the tyre pressure right and the tread nice and clean they are now great.

it is difficult to fault them in the dry and the wet, there is defo improvement. must admit the 040's are good, but  ididn't like the tramlining.
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

red_leicester

rt, what pressures did you have them at to start with ?  26/32 ?
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

rtbiscuit

original was 28 front and 32 rear

Previous cars:

ChrisGB

I am using the 040s with stock pressures in. I find it is easy enough to have understeer or oversteer on demand, so stock pressures for road use would be OK with me.

Lots of talk about handling and mixing tyres. The critical time to discover what the car handles like on mixed tyres is just as one end gives up its grip. In this context, what is being discussed with handling is really about on limit handling, when the tyres are on that lovely border between stick and drift. This is a narrow band of behaviour for a tyre and as such, it would seem like a bad idea to have different tyres f/r on any car, let alone a mid engined one.

Also, different tyres work at different slip angles (to generate cornering grip). If the fronts and rears are too different, it can lead to a car where the handling balance never feels malleable, it generally gets difficult to load the rear with any conviction as the differing slip angles and resulting differing scrub will not permit the car to balance on the throttle.

I thought that the factory pressures were worked out based on load vs width vs section to provide a even contact patch and eventyre wear. You may get a bit more turn in with the fronts down a couple of pounds, but you may also get less ultimate grip and increasd shoulder wear. I never ran mine that low for long enough to notice shoulder wear, but did not like the loss of feel or ultimate understeer past the grip limit that dropping the fronts gave me.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

rtbiscuit

i up'd mine by 2 psi front and rear because the side wall on the t1-r is softer than the 040's.

i find i have no problems with excessive understeer, and i can tell when the pressures aren't right as the car feels a little skitty when pushed and not a s planted.

Previous cars:

Anonymous

Thanks RT, just what I wanted to hear! I guess I'll stop off this evening and re-arrange the pressures to 30/34 and see how I get on.

I was following an A3 this morning and he was carrying far more speed through corners than I could even dream of at the moment, so not good!   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

Thanks all!

kanujunkie

Quote from: "rtbiscuit"i up'd mine by 2 psi front and rear because the side wall on the t1-r is softer than the 040's.

i find i have no problems with excessive understeer, and i can tell when the pressures aren't right as the car feels a little skitty when pushed and not a s planted.

if your T1-R's have RF written on them then they have re-inforced sidewalls, but 2 psi is going to make no differenc to sidewall strength when compared to the cars weight acting on it laterally. However it will be enough to curl the base of the tyre causeing a reduced footprint, hence the skittishness
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

markiii

I found I needed at least 4 psi extra
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Are these RF'd T1-R's a new thing then Stu?

kanujunkie

Quote from: "simonp"Are these RF'd T1-R's a new thing then Stu?

pass, i read it on Camskills website earlier, but do you think i can find it now  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

I've got RF'd rears and standard fronts.  Markiii sugestion of upping the pressures to 30/36 has improve things slightly (thanks for the advice  s:) :) s:)  ) but still not a patch (handling wise) on RE040s IMO.  

I'm getting more grip the the wet tho - Overall I think I'd prefer better handling in the dry and drive like a granny in the wet.

Anonymous

Not sure what mine are, I'll have a look later on. If I don't get much improvement soon, I think I'm gonna have a look for some alternatives.

roger

Quite a few on Toyos website
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

mrsmr2

T1-Rs on mine are run at 28,35.  You need the extra 3 psi on both tyres to reduce the tyre wall flex and then drop the front by 1 psi to help reduce the rear grip imbalance.  

Any higher and I can't start the serious grip drop off.

RE040s were run at 25/32 as per recommendations with 1 psi off the fronts.
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

Anonymous

After extensive testing I've finally settled on about 28-30 on the front and 36 on the rear but I still don't like the tyres.

Apologies in advance for my ropey explanation of my thoughts, but here goes .......

They feel too unpredictable. When going around fast sweeping corners any change of speed forces an excessive change in turn angle. When going around tighter corners it feels like they need to move the weight of the car on the tyres first and then they turn in. I could handle the symptoms, but not in the excessive way that the toyo's perform. So as soon as I can afford to replace them I will be.

For what it's worth, I've also checked the tyres and they do have reinforced stamped on the side, so I guess they are the new ones that people have spoken about.

This is just my opinion of the tyres (Toyo T1-r's), I know a lot of people get on with these tyres, but unfortunately I wasn't one of them.

Anonymous

Yep, that's a fair review of the performance and an exact summary of the sympoms that I've have- I feel quite uneasey when cornering at anything other than medium speeds.  I'm running 30/36 to get some of the stiffness back, unfortunately understeer suffers & I loose allround grip as a result.

Did you go from RE040s to T1-Rs?

Tags: