Fixing My molten Roadster

Started by markiii, March 13, 2006, 08:47

Anonymous

I'm no expert on welding by any means, but I'm a dab hand with a soldering gun and those bits look like they've never been near a flame in their life. How I didn't spot that the many times I've actually seen those bits in person, I'll never know.

You'd expect to see bits of weld still stuck to either the pipe or the flexi if welding had taken place and it had simply come apart under stress, but there's nothing there at all.

Weird. Or maybe not, going on previous Hass work. I can say stuff like that now I no longer own one.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

markiii

my mate theorised that they may have been sweated on, get it really hot attach and the as it cools it contracts.

which while possible seems stupid for where it goes, the whole joint is going to be under tension every time you drop the hammer.

good news is I emailed teh pics to H&S today and Ian reckons it can likely be welded.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

kanujunkie

excellent news Mark, that should save a bit. Do you still need a hand with finishing it off?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

markiii

please

just need to sort out when, as soon as I've got teh exhsut welded
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

spit

Just revisited the C2 flexi. Unless its welded inside at the distal ends of inner and outer flange its the same arrangement as yours Mark. Are H&S going to split the outer flange from the DP and do the same, or try to weld it around the lip of the flexi mesh?  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

markiii

at this stage I have no idea

I'll lety you know the result

Anonymous

interesting guys, especially for someone who now owns their stuff  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Mark, any chance of that template for the rh brace (nice pic), my right foot has gone all light lately

markiii

no probs I've templated it, I just need to get it uploaded to scale

Anonymous

Nice one, have you also got a picture of the $1.50 brace the guy from spyderchat spoke of, I'd like to see that out of interest, to compare to dans £100 one:)

markiii

UI'd say they are identical Dan got fleeced on teh price though his was for both a left hand and right hand brace.

the left hand is still on your car

markiii

right just got back from H&S and teh good news is that for £20 they managed to fix it   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

the bad news is that the Hass exhaust is actually mild steel not stainless, I can't find anywhere on teh Hass website where it actually says stainless but that was certainly my expectation.   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

the humorous news was watching Ians face when he saw teh exhaust, I don't think he new wether to laugh or cry, but uiffice to say impressed he was not.

looks like a new exhaust may be in teh offing next year, but at nearly a grand including new cat, teh old cash flow just won't cut it this year.

Anonymous

we will have to do something together (possible discount?) I definately want something better in the exhaust department

markiii

sounds good, won't be for a while though

markiii

coouple more updates

Ste,

they fixed teh flexi by drilling several holes through teh flange that had seperated. Pushing them back together and then weldeding teh hoels and teh seam.

Steve,

Turbo template below. I've added dimensions in places to allow you to size it right

the hole on teh right with 2 circles has 2 bolts welded to it to space it sufficiently. This allows it to bolt through the mounting hole below teh pulley mount on teh block. The other 2 holes goe between teh exhaust flange (off teh turbo) and teh bolts holding it together.

spit

Clever fix!

Looks like you're on the home leg now Mark. Go for it matey  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

thanks mate, and good luck. Will you be all done for JAE?

kanujunkie

Quote from: "turbo steve"thanks mate, and good luck. Will you be all done for JAE?

he will be if i've got anything to do with it  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

And for anyone who is interested, the 'dollar fifty brace' for the rhs from across the pond. Just a couple of loose nuts are used as a spacer, not even welded I believe.

markiii

more updates  :-) :-) :-)

here is teh close up of teh flexi as fixed by H&S

I then spent an hour with teh drill and a cleaning attachement removing all of teh rust from teh exhaust.

looking much better I'm sure you will agree.

I then painted it and added some polished stainless tips (£9.99 each courtesy of ebay  :-) :-) :-) )

looking even better

next job is to wrap and seal, however as I didn't buy sufficient wrap I'm waiting for more to arrive tommorow to complete the job.

in teh interim I resoldered teh injector pins (2 were mullered) installed the breather filter and crankvent (see below)

and finally put back teh plastic cover with some stainless fasteners.

it's starting to resemble a car again  :-) :-) :-)

kanujunkie

jeepers Mark, at this rate i wont need to come over on the 15th!

nice job on the exhaust BTW, hat off to Ian @ H&S once again for a job well done,
[size=100]Stu[/size]

markiii

I'm prototyping teh manifold heatshield we discussed at the mo

I'll bring it along on Saturday and see if it will fit teh C2  :-) :-) :-)

Anonymous

Looking good Mark, how much wrap do you estimate using for the system?
And what width are you using (2 inch??)

markiii

I bought 55ft of 1" and it didn't even do half

so I order 110ft of 2" that should do it  :-) :-) :-)

markiii

ok manifold heatshield is now prototyped, just need the sheet ali from stu to get this done properly.

I also just fabbed a replacement heatshield for teh coolant bottle as teh stock won't fit with teh Hass exhaust

markiii

having a productive day here

car is booked into Paintec for teh 10th July to have front TTE bumper, new rear bumper, spoiler, and headlights painted.

result.

Tags: