Started by LeeUK, March 20, 2006, 18:34

LeeUK

What type of weld is normally used for these manifold joints?  I have a MIG welder.  I'm not sure this is sufficient, joking aside I'll giving it a bash.  Who'd the guinea pig... I mean first victi... trial... erm... who's first?   s:P :P s:P
[size=100]JELBE[/size]
MR2 Roadster 2zz Track/Racecar Project ......2% complete......

MR2ROC Go-Karting Champion 2005
[/color]

Anonymous

I can weld and have my own welder, but i'm not much use as i'm miles away from most of you.  s:x :x s:x  

Lee you'll need some stainless steel mig wire and argon gas.

LeeUK

Quote from: "mr-s_turbo"Lee you'll need some stainless steel mig wire and argon gas.

I have that, is this sufficient for welding a turbo manifold though?  If so we're set.
[size=100]JELBE[/size]

[/color]

Anonymous

Yeh that's all you need. The welder needs to be a good amp rate really but 100amp+ will do.

philster_d

hmmmmm

How about a adult education course, in say,  welding and fabrication    s:D :D s:D

aaronjb

Funnily enough I was looking at (trying to find) evening courses the other weekend (Mechanics qualifications ones, actually, but that'd be good too).

Anyway.. we should get back on topic, really - we're dragging Mark's 'updates' thread about a little too much  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

kanujunkie

Quote from: "philster_d"hmmmmm

How about a adult education course, in say,  welding and fabrication    s:D :D s:D

not such a silly idea with the amount we could use of a descent welder.

p.s. your brackets are done Phil   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

philster_d

Thanks alot, potential future welding star     s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

/Philster.

Anonymous

I know a bloke who does MIG/TIG welding.. if that at all helps!   s8) 8) s8)

markiii

So whats teh difference between MIG and TIG?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

MIG welding is cheaper, requires less skill and doesn't need a lot of cleaning afterwards. TIG welding is more precise, doesn't need a filler metal, free of spatter and has low distortion.

Also, with MIG welding the wire is fed continously from a spool, whereas TIG (if used with a filler metal) is done from a single rod.

All info from here, so I'm no expert suddenly.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

dimwit

When the BMW guys welded my manifold they used a high melting stainless steel rod, they said the lower melting rods wont hold the extream temperatures of the manifold, does this make any sence?..

Slacey

Quote from: "dimwit"When the BMW guys welded my manifold they used a high melting stainless steel rod, they said the lower melting rods wont hold the extream temperatures of the manifold, does this make any sence?..
Did you get yours done locally Graham?
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

dimwit

[/quote]
Did you get yours done locally Graham?[/quote]

They done it at work for me, well at Oxford, and brought it back to work for me welded up the following day..

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"So whats the difference between MIG and TIG?

MIG...Metalic Inert Gas
TIG...Tungsten Inert Gas

Can do all four
MIG, TIG, Manual and gas
  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

LeeUK

I'm best at oxyacetalyne (can't spell it) this is probably overkill, looks damn good though!
[size=100]JELBE[/size]

[/color]

Tags: