TTE Turbo ... any more news?

Started by Anonymous, September 21, 2003, 09:57

Anonymous

as it says, does anyone have any more info?  s:?: :?: s:?:

mph

First/second week of December there should be some... will keep you posted as and when.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Anonymous

I think a few of us will be waiting with baited breath for price & availablity

s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Quote from: "SilverMSD2"I think a few of us will be waiting with baited breath for price & availablity

yup.  affordability.  around +40hp.  reliability.  

please.....

Anonymous

Quote from: "SilverMSD2"I think a few of us will be waiting with baited breath for price & availablity

And whats your guess at the price of fitting a turbo at your dealers... £6k+ ?!?   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

Yeah, wouldn't be surprised if the price is many thousands.  Boss had a letter from BMW a year or so back offering to bolt on a Super (or was it a Turbo... can't recall), to his 330.  The price was circa 9K.

Tem

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"And whats your guess at the price of fitting a turbo at your dealers... £6k+ ?!?   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

My guess...or should I say wish for price would be the same as the IS200 supercharger kit.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"My guess...or should I say wish for price would be the same as the IS200 supercharger kit.

which is? (of course, any figure you say us in the UK will have to add 75% onto   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  )

Anonymous

I'll be looking around December at maybe going Turbo.

Tem

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"
Quote from: "Tem"My guess...or should I say wish for price would be the same as the IS200 supercharger kit.

which is? (of course, any figure you say us in the UK will have to add 75% onto   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  )

I've seen it go for ~£2500, looks like £3000 is the normal price:
 m http://www.tdi-plc.com/is200.html m

(obviously turbokit has more parts and won't be the same)

Anonymous

£3000 complete - I'm in if it comes in at that.  Somehow, I doubt it though.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Jonny Turbo"£3000 complete - I'm in if it comes in at that.  Somehow, I doubt it though.

I doubt that too... remember it will have "Toyota" on it somewhere, which automaticly puts the price up!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Tem

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"I doubt that too... remember it will have "Toyota" on it somewhere, which automaticly puts the price up!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Hmmmm...that superchargerkit I mention is from TTE, just like the turbokit. Just for different cars. I don't see any reason why either would have more or less "Toyota" on it  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Oh and just for the record. That kit is 10.600 euros through Toyota (over here). Thank God you don't have to buy TTE parts from Toyota.

Anonymous

Is it worth a few of us putting together a letter of genuine interest to TTE?

OK, maybe I'm dreaming for a price of < £ 3k for a Toyota approved system.

But I'd almost definately buy it at that.

I'm not even that bothered about w'ty as that will be finished in oct 2004.  What I want is a defacto upgrade that means you can sell the car on and people know what they're buying.

Only downside I can see is that I've ordered a Boxster for 2005, and that may just be a disappointment after a 200hp 1000kg car?

mph

Quote from: "Jonny Turbo"Is it worth a few of us putting together a letter of genuine interest to TTE?
Nope, it's out of TTE's hands - it's upto the big chiefs over in Japan to make a decision.
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

Tem

Quote from: "Jonny Turbo"OK, maybe I'm dreaming for a price of < £ 3k for a Toyota approved system.

Like I said...there are more parts in a turbokit than the SC-kit. I'd be very surprised if it was under £3000...

Anonymous

My biggest fear is do I trust a local Toyota dealer to install a turbo  s:?: :?: s:?:  

I'd prefer Toyota to train 5 top dealers nationwide & make sure they do a proper job  s:!: :!: s:!:  

But as everyone has also added.....price is the major factor....I'm guessing at a £4000 to £5000 price tag.

Anonymous

Quote from: "SilverMSD2"My biggest fear is do I trust a local Toyota dealer to install a turbo  s:?: :?: s:?:  

THis is what i was thinking too... surely you would need things like a rolling road to set the car up properly.. i know my dealer aint got one of these!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

markiii

installing it should be no big deal.

Tuning it is the art.

Where I do it, I'd install myself and then go to somewhere good to tune it.

save a fortune in labour as well.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"Where I do it, I'd install myself and then go to somewhere good to tune it.

yeah, but for us mear mortals that are not gods when it comes to the mr2....!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

markiii

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

It should come with instructions, spend a couple of hundred on a good socket set and the workshop manuals.

Now all you need is patience. It's only a matter of undoing bolts replacing parts (ok theres some additional piping) and putting bolts back in. It's not particluarly technical and you certianly don't need to know a lot about engines or turbos. Just take your time and be thorough.

If you can do Ikea furniture it should be a sinch.

I'd probably get the piggyback installed if it had one, as theres the chance of stuffing up there, but everything else shouldn't be that hard.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tem

Quote from: "markiii"If you can do Ikea furniture it should be a sinch.

Someone can actually put those together?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

I would assume the piggyback (or whatever the final product will have) is pre-programmed, so all you have to do, is to plug it in. Just like the stock ECU is preprogrammed.

Obviously it will be on the safe side and you can get easy extra horses by reprogramming it sepcifically to your car. Just like you can better the stock ECU.

Personally I wish there's a chance to get it without the piggyback and get Apexi Power FC instead.

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"Where I do it, I'd install myself and then go to somewhere good to tune it.

Would it not invalidate your warranty?  After all, that's the main reason for going for the TTE one.

mph

Quote from: "Tem"Personally I wish there's a chance to get it without the piggyback and get Apexi Power FC instead.
I wouldn't ever bother with a PFC. There isn't any support for it, no software that you can either get your hands on nor, even if you did, understand. There are *far* better standalone ECUs out there.
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

Tem

Quote from: "mph"I wouldn't ever bother with a PFC. There isn't any support for it, no software that you can either get your hands on nor, even if you did, understand. There are *far* better standalone ECUs out there.

I've seen it in a friends Hon...car-whose-name-shall-not-be-mentioned-here and I like it  s:) :) s:)  I don't need any support for it, I can tune it myself...obviously only on a dyno and with a guy who knows what he's doing, but just meant I don't need any expert to change the values on PFC.

There are better options, but AFAIK none that just plug into existing harness without any cutting/soldering..?

Btw, have you checked the FC-DataLogit project?
 m http://www.fc-datalogit.co.nz/ m

I believe the 1ZZ-FE version is just about to come out (if it isn't already):
 m http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6137 m

Tags: