Just had an engine failure - without precats though!

Started by Anonymous, March 23, 2006, 15:39

Anonymous

Good luck mate, let us know how you get on.

karlus972

good luck man, and don't give up!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Madinina Style!!

aaronjb

Quote from: "Richie"I decided to inform him I'm an electronics engineer and he's a teaboy with buzzwords   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   and is obviously talking out his bum.

Look out for any extra scratches/dents when you get it back, then...  s:? :? s:?
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Just been in for an update. Have been told that the parts will arrive tomorrow which is when work should begin on it.

I should expect the car back next week or the following week  s:D :D s:D

They have supplied a brand new short block as opposed to a reconditioned one as there were none available.

I'm still not impressed that the car has been left to sit on the street outside the dealership untouched for the past few weeks, but hey, I'm just glad things are finally moving on with it.

Anonymous

best off luck the service we have had from mr t at Helensburgh has all ways been good. our car is 3 years old in july and have not taken pre-cats out.Have been offered 2 year warranty with anold clark for £250. and this covers cats and engine.

Anonymous

Woooh! My car is ready for me to collect! cant wait, will be going along this afternoon to get it. Shame I've got to go back to work though, won't finish till 7.30pm tonight.

They have done it relatively quick for a toyota dealer, they only started working on it on tuesday last week, so thats them completed all the work within 8 days.

Just hope everything is ok on it, will be doing a good inspection on it prior to collection.

Richie.

Anonymous

picked up car in my lunchbreak and all I can say is... Wow...

A big thumbs up to Helensburgh toyota, who have done a spot-on job!

Received my car back with a full comprehensive valet carried out on it, including waxing and tyre shineyness!

engine seems nice and smooth, very responsive and quieter than ever. just a pity that I have to run it in over the next 1000 miles.

My car had a scratch on the back bumper when it was put into them, which has mysteriously disapeared whilst the car has been away, they must have thought it was their doing, and repaired it before I noticed lol. They have done a great job though so I'm over the moon.

Nearly had a panic attack when he showed me an invoice for £497.00 for a new manifold as my "precatalysts were missing" but he said that my extended warranty is paying for this new manifold   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   so I was quite happy.

I'm a bit reluctant to gut my new manifold though, bearing in mind that there is a brand new one on it at the cost of £497.00 - i may just try and pick up a free / cheap second hand one. In fact Im quite reluctant to tamper with the car again after the problems I've just had. I have a feeling I should leave it well alone.

My old engine was supposedly very clean, however when they measured the bores with a micrometer, they were excessively worn, but not ovular nor scored.

my only minor gripes were that they left my car sitting out on the street outside the garage whilst  awaiting approval, and I always had to phone them for an update, as opposed to them phoning me. perhaps if i didn't phone them they would have called me eventually, but I like to be kept in the loop, so to speak.

Sadly, Im working till 7.30 tonight too, so not out enjoying the sunnyness at present either   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

Richie   s8) 8) s8)

aaronjb

Quote from: "Richie"ovular

A friend of mine did warn me that folks from Helensburgh were a bit odd, but I didn't realise you had your own language  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  (ovular = of or relating to an ovum.. ovums in your engine?)

Anyway - I jest.. glad you've got it back and all is well, good luck for the break-in period, and fingers crossed that you now enjoy many years of trouble free top-down motoring  s:) :) s:)   s:) :) s:)   s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

Anonymous

lol, you caught me out there. should just have been "Oval"

cheers though!

now just need to sort out the "do I gut or dont I" dilemma

aaronjb

If you're worried about gutting then I reckon go for a Che's - can't go wrong with that  s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

the thought did cross my mind  s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

I've been watching this thread with some interest due to my "high" oil consumption although my precats were removed intact a couple of months back.

I might fall into the "worn bore" category

Was your main cat re-tested as you indicated it would be earlier on? - i was interested whether the oil consumption had ruined it and it needed changing.

I know cats can get destoryed by oil but is it burnt or unburnt oil that does the damage?

BTW - Congrats on getting your car back all sorted!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Jaso"I've been watching this thread with some interest due to my "high" oil consumption although my precats were removed intact a couple of months back.

I might fall into the "worn bore" category

Was your main cat re-tested as you indicated it would be earlier on? - i was interested whether the oil consumption had ruined it and it needed changing.

I know cats can get destoryed by oil but is it burnt or unburnt oil that does the damage?

BTW - Congrats on getting your car back all sorted!

They indeed carried out an emissions test, which it passed, however as they have replaced the manifold for one with new precats, its possible that this is doing the emissions work so it doesn't really prove my cat or not.

I'm not sure whether its the burn't/unburnt oil that does them the most damage, however I imagine both would have a negative effect. Perhaps somebody else could elaborate on this?

Cheers for the congrats  s:) :) s:)

Tags: