Major misfire plus engine management light

Started by Anonymous, September 21, 2003, 11:45

Anonymous

Guys,

First of all I'll admit to being an absolute doofus where anything under the bonnet is concerned so apologies if I come across as a knowledgless plebb.

I've a 2001 European import with 16,000 miles on the clock.  Spent yesterday morning out and about in it with no probs.  Washed and polished it in the afternoon and no sooner had I taken her out she was spluttering and misfiring like an absolute pig and the warning light on the dash was on.  (The worrying thing is that sometimes the light was permanently on and sometimes it was flashing)

When I'd washed it I had the engine cover open to get the water to run off so naturally I thought some water had gotten into the engine but a friendly RAC bloke at the side of the road spent 15 mins playing around with it and he reckons there's no fuel getting through to the No.3 plug.

Have any of you folks had the same or got any knowledge of what the problem might be?

SteveJ

Did the RAC man say what the error code(s) were - I have access to the BGB (courtesy of markiii) and we could look them up and give a more informed guestimate of the problem.

Anonymous

Quote from: "SteveJ"Did the RAC man say what the error code(s) were - I have access to the BGB (courtesy of markiii) and we could look them up and give a more informed guestimate of the problem.

He didn't Steve - in fact everything he did was manual in the sense that he didn't connect it up to any ECU reader etc.  He took out each of the coils in turn, checked the valve pressure etc.  His only conclusion was that plug 3 was bone-dry even though the injector gave all the impressions that it was working fine.    s:( :( s:(

SteveJ

I assume that the CEL is still on (is it orange or red?)

With the car being a euro import, it should be possible for your local Mr T to read the error codes, and they should also fix the car under warranty (make sure you take the V5 with you if you haven't already had any warranty work done). The big problem comes if this is a Japanese import, as the ECU seems to speak a different language via the ODBII connector

Let us know what you find.

Anonymous

R2MUL

Hope you get the problem sorted soon. Perhaps it would help next time you have a problem to look at the engine AT THE BACK OF THE CAR, NOT UNDER THE BONNET  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Quote from: "Roger H"R2MUL

Hope you get the problem sorted soon. Perhaps it would help next time you have a problem to look at the engine AT THE BACK OF THE CAR, NOT UNDER THE BONNET  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

s:D :D s:D

Hmmm talk about kicking a man whilst he's down   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    I thought it was a bit sparse under there..   s:? :? s:?  

The CEL light is orange Steve - thanks for the advice - will be waving a V5 and a spluttering '2' under Mr T's nose first thing in the morning.   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

Anonymous

Had the same problem ma son

Ploblem = Blocked injector!

Cure = simply replace the injector and clear eror codes   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

took Mr T only half a day for mine

Tags: