New Engine Car not starting!! Help please!!!

Started by leon_in_uk, March 24, 2006, 15:39

leon_in_uk

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

after wasting so much time on this thread!!!!!!!!!!!

the breakers are refunding the money..... they are also going to try and get a new engine for me too.... as a refferal..

so back to square 1. the old engine, which my mechanic is getting prices for me to rebuild... and to look for another engine to see which is cheapest.

how crap is this!!!!!
For sale: 3.5 v6 Nissan murano
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
Porsche Boxster 987, lapis blue, leather heated seats, xenons,, twin pipe...
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport
Silver MR-2, newish engine, clutch new alternator. Gutted Pre Cats..... MODS.....
HKS exhaust. markiii pipe, Anthracite Alloys. Red Calipers with Spyder decals. . Lowered 40mm. 03 vents, chrome jet washers lol... and my helpful Road Angel \":)\"

leon_in_uk

GUYS PLEASE HELP!!!

my car has gone in this morning for my new engine to be fitted.. i was wondering!!! and need help on:

the engine in now has to come out due to piston slap, and the top end is screwed, misfiring etc...

it sounds the same as the old engine when it was the pre cats. a diesel sound!!

if the pre CATS are fine, DO I NEED TO BUY YET ANOTHER CAT?????????

thanks!!
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport
Silver MR-2, newish engine, clutch new alternator. Gutted Pre Cats..... MODS.....
HKS exhaust. markiii pipe, Anthracite Alloys. Red Calipers with Spyder decals. . Lowered 40mm. 03 vents, chrome jet washers lol... and my helpful Road Angel \":)\"

markiii

at the risk of confusing myself futher.

I beleive

yu are currently on

new engine
new manifold
new main cat

We told you time and again NOT to put a manifold back with precats in it,

if teh current manifold is either decatted, or by some fluke has PERFECTLY intact cats

then you shouldn't need to change the main cat this time.

UNLESS for some reason the main CAT is your original in which case you should have changed it originally.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

leon_in_uk

no, you are correct by saying it was a new engine a new CAT and new manifold...

just the top end was screwed when they sold it..

the engine is being dropped out today and i am going to inspect the pre cats. if they are in perfect condition how do i check them? just by checking they are a perfect honeycomb??? do they have to be white too?
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

markiii

Why did you put a manifold with precats back on in teh first place?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

leon_in_uk

because me and my step dad was going to gut the pre cats out within the week i got the car back.

and as soon as i got misfire and a diesel sound, there was no point. thats why i didnt do it...

the bloke at the garage was too busy and i wanted to do it anyway...

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

i really do hope my pre cats are fine in this one.................................................
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

markiii

I'm not holding my breath on the precats

if you've piston slap then you've probably dumped a shitload of oil on them which will only make them degrade quickly.

however as far as the main cat is concerned, so long as your precats are PERFECTLY intact then you shou0dl be ok evevn if teh precats are black.

however that assumes that the oil hasn't found it's way into the main cat

in which case yes you need yet another one,

markiii

Quote from: "leon_in_uk"the bloke at the garage was too busy .

too busy? to do what a proper job?, not like your not paying him for his time.

leon_in_uk

i didnt ask him otherwise he would of done it!!

just thought i would save him time and do it myself... cheaper that way.?

also have a spare manifold to practice on..
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

Liz

Quote from: "leon_in_uk"just thought i would save him time and do it myself... cheaper that way.?

Well it takes about 20 mins to gut a precat, quicker with a drill, including swilling out with water - so really don't think that it would make that much difference to the final bill.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

leon_in_uk

im gonna get him to do it this time tho....

just needed to check for the new CAT issue. GT said he has 1 for £100, which is about right.. so cheers guys, will check the pre cats tonight
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

kanujunkie

so are you actually going to do it or just say you are?

and its Adam, not GT, he's done enough for this club to be recognised by his proper name  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

leon_in_uk

OMG... adam said then  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

just typing quick, and forgot his name........  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

i am defo going to do it, wether the bloke in the garage does it or i do it ASAP, i just want a perfect engine in my car first, one which i know will work...
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

Liz

Quote from: "leon_in_uk"i just want a perfect engine in my car first,

Believe me when I say that we all want that too..
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

leon_in_uk

bet iv had the worst luck on this forum  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

Anonymous

Go to a Toyota garage. Pay them for brand-new engine + pre-cat manifold + stock cat. Get them to fit it. Ignore the huge bill.

Sorry to say this mate, but either you keep buying duff engines, or your installers are shockingly bad. How much is your grief worth compared to the money you're saving by doing this on the cheap? Go and get a quote from a dealer anyways, if for nothing than for amusement.

Anonymous

That or paint it with creasote and start keeping chickens in it -   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Sorry just could resist.

Hope the engines all fine and dandy this time round.

s:D :D s:D

leon_in_uk

me too.. im sure it will be.. and as soon as i get the pre cats out the better.
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

Anonymous

Sounds like you're a bit too late for that (again)...

leon_in_uk

huh!! dont get it?!?!? what do you mean?

whats the point of gutting the pre cats in my last manifold, i 1 the pre cats aretn mine, and 2 neither is the engine. if an agreed refund was the case....
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

Anonymous

Your old engine was fubar'd because of the pre-cats, yes? And now the new 2nd-hand one is making the same noises and you've got piston slap?

Like I said, I think you've got another screwy engine on your hands.

Do yourself a favour and have a proper read through the new pre-cat thread at the top of this forum, and try to understand the entire technical side of it.

kanujunkie

the point is that your are very possibly passing the problem from engine to engine and damaging them as you go along. I realise you're being guided by your mechanic as well but there is a wealth of knowledge and type specific experience on here that should not be ignored
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

leon_in_uk

yea.. pre cats gone, new engine in...

everything is ok, more throaty tho now the pre cats are out... yippeee. i have my car back....
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

Tags: