New Engine Car not starting!! Help please!!!

Started by leon_in_uk, March 24, 2006, 15:39

leon_in_uk

just found out that he has configured my ECU to run with my engine, he sadi it weretn far off. but charged me £30..

i am going to take it to toyota anyway.. dont you think that its the 2000 reg ecu not working the best with 2004 engine.
For sale: 3.5 v6 Nissan murano
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
Porsche Boxster 987, lapis blue, leather heated seats, xenons,, twin pipe...
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport
Silver MR-2, newish engine, clutch new alternator. Gutted Pre Cats..... MODS.....
HKS exhaust. markiii pipe, Anthracite Alloys. Red Calipers with Spyder decals. . Lowered 40mm. 03 vents, chrome jet washers lol... and my helpful Road Angel \":)\"

edward.carter

like mark said though, you cant configure the ecu, not even tte can change the ecu, so i just think he was having you on mate

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "leon_in_uk"just found out that he has configured my ECU to run with my engine, he sadi it weretn far off. but charged me £30.

Sounds like mechanic speak for "I plugged it in!"   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Simon

Anonymous

and hoped for the best.......... but obviously there are problems  :-) :-) :-)

Anonymous

maybe a shot in the dark, but do you think that maybe the rev counter is out ? and his 5.5k rpm is actually hitting the cut out at 7 ??

edward.carter

good idea

...but would hitting the rev limiter flash a cel?

also surely you could tell by the sound whether it 5 or 7k revs

and if it was out by 2k wouldnt it stay on 0 revs untill you got to 2k?

leon_in_uk

no its not that cus the light does come on. and it doesnt hit a limiter. and its revving fine on idle..
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport
Silver MR-2, newish engine, clutch new alternator. Gutted Pre Cats..... MODS.....
HKS exhaust. markiii pipe, Anthracite Alloys. Red Calipers with Spyder decals. . Lowered 40mm. 03 vents, chrome jet washers lol... and my helpful Road Angel \":)\"

philster_d

just go see the guy who sold the engine and try the proper 04 ecu

leon_in_uk

thats what my thought was mate.

i did ask him and he wants £100 for it.

might just go and get it.. is it plug in and play? becasue if i spend £100 for that and its not the case then i can still sell it on ebay!!

so paying £50 to toyota and £100 for an ECU might just do the ECU jobby..
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

leon_in_uk

guys sorry for asking yet another question but how do i install the ECU? where can it be found and can i do it myself without fcuking my car up
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

dimwit

Its located behind the storage bins, passenger side, you'll need a special type key to undo the support bracket bolts though..Its just a plug in of the connections as far as i know..

markiii

the immobilsor is in the ecu, if you swap it your keys won't work a new ecu is useless without it's keys

oh, and your mechanic is [edit by mod] sadly misguided if he said[/edit by mod], "mapping and tuning to me.. to get the best out the revs.. " [edit by mod] as it's impossible to map or tune the standard ECU in any way [/edit by mod]
  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

aaronjb

Quote from: "markiii"the immobilsor is in the ecu, if you swap it your keys won't work a new ecu is useless without it's keys

Damn good point - although.. doesn't the J-spec ECU come sans-immobiliser? In which case, you're safe as long as the engine came from a Japanese import..

Please, someone, correct me if I'm wrong there  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

markiii

correct, if it's a J-spec ECU then it won't have an immobilosr

of course teh next question is will it work on a UK car?

ODBII could be an issue

so could the fact that it won't expect a 3rd 02 sensor.

I don't know of anyone whos tried and found out.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

philster_d

*flounders around out of depth*

aaronjb

Quote from: "markiii"of course the next question is will it work on a UK car?

Hmm - good point.. One would assume that it would just ignore the extra O2 sensor (afterall, the pinouts are the same, aren't they?).. but who knows  s;) ;) s;)

One thought - the car not wanting to rev over 5.5k.. I wonder if the VVT isn't kicking in properly?
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

markiii

having given this some more thought;

Had you gone to Toyota and they had replaced your engine, they would not have replaced teh ECU, hence your OLD ECU would work perfectly with your NEW engine.

so forget about ECU incompatability.

this means 1 of 2 things has occured

1. Your mechanic hasn't got it all wired back up properly.
2. Your mechanic has in some way damaged your old ECU

either way guess where I'd be heading   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I'me tempted to go with SteveJs comments and assume it's a faulty earth causing electrical noise

this cause some odd issues when we did Adams 2zz swap as well.

markiii

Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "markiii"of course the next question is will it work on a UK car?

Hmm - good point.. One would assume that it would just ignore the extra O2 sensor (afterall, the pinouts are the same, aren't they?).. but who knows  s;) ;) s;)

One thought - the car not wanting to rev over 5.5k.. I wonder if the VVT isn't kicking in properly?

possibly, but it won't be expecting to see a voltage on teh ECU pins and they could theoretically be used for something else on a Jspec so you could seriously screw it up

ref the VVTI I would expect it to rev over that fine even without it, but it would just be down on power.

Are we sure this engine has VVTI though? the 1zz has been made without it. come to that could the impact (not sure why the donor car was written off)have damaged teh internals? or knocked teh VVTi gear out of alignment?

Another thought is the throttle body, it houses the TPS, is this Leons original or teh one that came with teh engine?

leon_in_uk

right booked in for 1 hour at toyota, said they could do for 30 mins for £37 + VAT.

then when i said the light only comes on briefly and goes off, and the reader doesnt read anything, they said they are going to do an active test and inspection etc..

so 1 hours labour £69.82 + VAT...... suppose its got to be done...

he suggested that it was the VVTI cannister that werent in lock position. said if it was that and it werent in the corrct position then it would do the same as my problem..

but again thats by the timing chain and need to get the engine out again..
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

aaronjb

Right, if people want to argue semantics over what can or cannot be said then please feel free - but do it on another thread.  This is a thread that's meant to be technical in nature, and here to help leon sort his car out after a nightmare time of things.

FWIW, Mark's comments were based solely on how Leon described whatever the 'tuner' may have told him.  If Leon's comments are accurate (and we can only assume they are) then the tuner did, indeed, tell him he was doing something that's impossible on these cars - they ECUs are 'fit & forget' and the most you can do is read codes or sensor data via OBD-II.  Perhaps it was simply a bad choice of words on the tuners part, but even so, mark's comments are still valid on that basis.

Anyway - end of discussion.  If you want to continue to argue semantics then do it on another thread or via PM.  Further discussions on that WILL be moderated and this thread WILL be trimmed back to technical-only posts.

Aaron <mod hat firmly on>

leon_in_uk

thanks aaron..

could it be the below then the cannister?

Quote from: "leon_in_uk"
Quote from: "leon_in_uk"right booked in for 1 hour at toyota, said they could do for 30 mins for £37 + VAT.

then when i said the light only comes on briefly and goes off, and the reader doesnt read anything, they said they are going to do an active test and inspection etc..

so 1 hours labour £69.82 + VAT...... suppose its got to be done...

he suggested that it was the VVTI cannister that werent in lock position. said if it was that and it werent in the corrct position then it would do the same as my problem..

but again thats by the timing chain and need to get the engine out again..
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

markiii

I'm not really sure what he means by VVTI Cannister tbh

but it could certainly be VVTI related.

if it's by the timing chain it can just about be doen with teh engine in place

however, the extra time it will take to do it that way probably negates the beneifit if your paying main dealer charges

aaronjb

Ok, apparently I was talking to myself in my last post, so I'm splitting all the cruft off elsewhere. </mod>

[edit] I've culled what I believe was all of the non-technical cruft from the last day on this thread.  If I've killed something that someone thinks shouldn't have been, feel free to PM me about it.

If people continue to argue over semantics or chit chat on this thread then I'm liable to move on to formal warnings, regardless of who you are. [/edit]

leon_in_uk

toyota have cheked my engine.. they said they think it is the engine/VVTI..

said it just was puffing black smoke when the VVTI kicked in. said was working fine up till then..

they said its the engine!! sticky valves, something like that..

i have just paid £275 for fitting a useless engine!!

there is 3 months warranty on the engine and brought it 3-4 weeks ago.. the bloke who sold it sounds like a right del boy.. and a hard knock aswell..

what do i do.?? go round there tomora morning and ask for a refund???
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

markiii

or get a price for fitting new valves and get him to cover that cost?

problem is if he gives you a refund your out teh costs of installing teh engine, and he might want it back if refunding you.

I almost suggested using the valves from your old engine, but as you haven't posted to say you found out what was wrong with it yet, that might just make matters worse.

that said I'm not sure I buy there explanation, VVTI only changes valve timeing and not lift.

so if they stick during VVTI kick in then they should stick before as well.

Tags: