How bubbly do wheels need to be?

Started by zud, September 22, 2003, 00:18

zud

I have a few small bubbles on my wheels, a bit of discolouring on the front wheels, and some rust of the hubs/disks.  But they don't really notice from more than a couple of yards away.  How bad do they need to be before Mr T will replace them under warranty?  My 20K service is due, in fact possibly overdue as I've done 19K but it's just over 12 months since the 10K (at just over 10K).  Do I mention it now, or just get the service done asap, and then go back for wheels later?  Anyone got any pics of what their wheels looked like before they claimed?  

Thanks for any advice or pics!
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

dancarbon

Sounds like your wheels should be replaced without problem, the discs/hubs will only be replaced if the rust has pread to the centre piece that meets the wheel, unless you get a nicer warranty assessor than I did.

I would take it in now to get assessed (5 minute job) and get the work done when it gets serviced, that saves being without your car more than once - though they couldn't get the rear discs for a month with mine so it had to go in twice anyway.

DC
2001 Black Manual Soft-top

zud

One (well two) other question... has anyone had wheels and/or hubs changed at TW Hawkins of Ewell?  Just wondering whether I'm about to hit them with something that's new to them, or whether they're already aware of the problems.  If so, how did you get on with them?  I've not been there yet, other than to buy some touch up paint and mats.

Anonymous

Zud, your wheels shouldn't be a problem. I had minimal bubbling on mine and they changed them without question. The discs were also changed, even AFTER my warranty had run out, but was reported BEFRE it had run out.

A good dealer should not question either problem as they are common, well known problems.

Off to the dealer with you!!!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

zud

Cheers, John.  It's booked in for the service and they made a note to check the wheels and hubs while it's there.  He didn't give much away, but equally didn't sound very surprised!  Assuming they agree to change them, i think I can feel some painted calipers coming on!  Any suggestions to go with blue?  I was thinking red.    s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

Quote from: "zud"Any suggestions to go with blue?  I was thinking red.    s8) 8) s8)

Ive seen blue before and they dont usually look that good (unless its got the words BREMBO all over it!). Red is always a safe bet and looks good on most cars.   s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

All Toyota dealers should be aware of this problem now so don't worry about it.

Anonymous

zud wrote:
QuoteCheers, John. It's booked in for the service and they made a note to check the wheels and hubs while it's there. He didn't give much away, but equally didn't sound very surprised! Assuming they agree to change them, i think I can feel some painted calipers coming on! Any suggestions to go with blue? I was thinking red.  

Kinda says to me that his reaction was one of resignation and has seen it all before. I reckon they will have to replace.......you're in there I think....

As for the calipers, I like painted ones, but much prefer the painted calipers if they are body coloured. For instance, to me, red calipers on a ablue car look a bit.....well.......strange.......

Up to you mate. Let us know what you decide............

MR2Blue

Mine's a blue2 and I've painted my calipers blue, not totally happy with the colour (Folia Tec, from Halfords), I would have preferred the blue to have been darker, Cartell has very kindly offered me some of his gold, I'm also considering black, don't know yet I might just stick with the blue.   s:? :? s:?

Definitely not red though, not with a blue2

zud

My first thought was blue, but my concern was getting one that matches the car itself.  If the caliper blue is very different from the body, then I think I'd rather have something totally different for the calipers.  I noticed that Frosts do a blue caliper paint/spray (when ordering langka)... has anyone used it or know how close it is to Lagoon Blue?

Otherwise, I still thought red might be OK... I thought that porsche calipers were always red(?)  But maybe I haven't seen a blue porsche!?

Anonymous

Ooohhh......I like the idea of Gold calipers......

Can you get gold caliper paint and where from, if anyone knows?

Anonymous

Quote from: "John Woodward"Ooohhh......I like the idea of Gold calipers......

Can you get gold caliper paint and where from, if anyone knows?

Please don't.  I personally think callipers should be black with white writing ("MR2" or "Roadster" would be really cool).

EDIT: Although the yellow ones on the silver Carrera GT look really rather nice.

Chris

[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

I have toyed with black actually. But I know what you mean about Gold. Now you come to mention it.......  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chris"like comers then...

m http://www.mr2roc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=662 m

Oh...my...God...

Very nice indeed.

MR2Blue

I've seen Cartell's gold calipers and they look good, when he told me he was doing them gold I was a bit dubious, silver car/gold calipers but it works well.

Gold caliper paint : Halfords-FoliaTec.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

zud

Well, the car's in for its service... I'll find out later today whether they'll replace wheels and/or hubs.  

In case they agree to do the wheels... what happens regarding tyres?  Do they swap yours onto the replacement wheels, or do they come with tyres?  If they come with tyres, are they used or new?  

The main reason I ask is that my tyres aren't great (I've done > 8K since i bought th car second hand), and i've got the airfield training day next month.  So I'm thinking I could keep existing wheels tyres until then.

Anonymous

They will probably just put your old ones back on.

markiii

they will swop the tyres.

I'd wait until after the airfield, order your new tyres as cheap as possibel , trey  w www.mytyres.net w  for example, and  tehn turn up at MR T with them. since it's no more work for them they will fit them for free and balance the wheels.

should save you a packet.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tags: