Can the MR2 fly?!

Started by Anonymous, March 27, 2006, 23:25

Anonymous

Im sure Im not the only one but when my MR2 gets to about 100mph it feels like your driving on ice! Maybe a rear spoiler would help. It feels like any faster and it may leave the ground!    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

markiii

thats the front getting lite not the rear

a rear spoiler will just make it worse
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Yeah, it can fly no problem, but you will need to Mod.
I suggest starting with the TTE wing mod and the TRD rear flaps - plus you'll probably need a couple of jet engines, or you could just drive off a cliff - depends on what sort of flying experience you are after really.

HTH   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

In all seriousness - yours doesnt sound right. Mine is fine at speeds over 1.0 leptons - when I've had the chance to reach these on a private runway of course.

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"thats the front getting lite not the rear

a rear spoiler will just make it worse

Maybe I'll try a bag of cement in the spare wheel storage in the front!

Quote from: "Roo"In all seriousness - yours doesnt sound right. Mine is fine at speeds over 1.0 leptons - when I've had the chance to reach these on a private runway of course.

My previous car was a Seat Ibiza Cupra (the 1.8 turbo one) and this felt solid even up to about 125mph, I guess the MR2 being so light makes it feel less stable. Was quite a shock the first time I drove it on the motorway on a windy day!

markiii

I'm betting you have an early model ?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

ninjinski

Sounds like an early model alright - I'd add xtra bracing undercar but check your tyre pressures and tracking first.

26psi front
32psi rear
Sable

PERF: TTE TURBO & exhaust, BC Coilovers Markii inlet TRD brace SP Downpipe Exedy Cerametalic Clutch TRD Short Shifter w brass bushings EBC discs/pads OMP steering wheel, front diffuser
ICE: JVC headunit JBL P652s Alpine SWD1600 & 2000 woofers Kenwood 600W amp
EXTERNAL: Mr T spoiler. black brake calipers Dynamat Toyota dust caps Dev\'s keyhole covers Simon\'s hairpins
INTERNAL: Red leather Carbon sill guards TRD stickers Mongo deflectors Chrome gear & dial surrounds Gregg\'s custom logo plate Taurec gauges

Anonymous

Quote from: "Jimmyboy"My previous car was a Seat Ibiza Cupra (the 1.8 turbo one) and this felt solid even up to about 125mph, I guess the MR2 being so light makes it feel less stable. Was quite a shock the first time I drove it on the motorway on a windy day!

Ex-Cupranet user by any chance?
I moved from an Ibiza to the MR2 too. I do know what you mean about it feeling lighter.
I put this 1/3 down to the crap tyres fitted, 1/3 down to the height, weight and different sensation of driving the car, defo not as insulated as VAG products, as well built but not as solid feeling, sort of more in touch with the car - which in time you will get used to, and 1/3 down to technique - the level of smoothness required is so much greater, but this does make the car more rewarding to drive.

I reckon with a tyre change all traces of this will be gone. Certainly adapted to the car and am much smoother with power application at speed now.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

markiii

guys, you might want to have a read of this

m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0 m

specifically my comments ref missing parts on ellry models half way down page 1

philster_d

I have taken off in mine on occasion    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"if it's a 99 I'll tell you several bits that will be missing

1. look under the bumper, there should be a rubber airdam that runs most of the width of the bumper. it's about an inch thick and sits about 6-8 inches under the car

2. Bet you don't have the plastic spats that sit in front of the rear wheels?

3. Might not have the plastic spats that sit in front of the front wheels?

thess were added sometime before 2001 and weren't even on my 2001 car

cost is very low to fit them, and they transformed my highspeed handling

Cheers Mark

1) This is going to sound incredibly dumb, but its late! Im assuming you mean under front bumper? - Cant recall seeing this.

2) Cant recall seeing these

3) Have these.

Is it possible to have some and not others?! Mine is a 2000W car.

Cheers

Roo.

spit

Its possible, nay probable, that you're in the same (flying) boat as me Roo, as per the thread Markiii refers to above.

I've not corrected with these overpriced placcy and rubber thingies yet, so can't comment. But strangely enough, just shifting the toolkit and a few other odds and sods into the frunk has helped quite a bit.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

markiii

yes to all of your questiions

they do make a very big difference

Anonymous

Ok cool, thanks.

See from the other list they are £80ish.

Shall add to the to-do list.

s8) 8) s8)

loadswine

Just a thought, would a bumper or bodykit with a lower front lip do the same job as that airdam?
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

aaronjb

Quote from: "loadswine"Just a thought, would a bumper or bodykit with a lower front lip do the same job as that airdam?

If you ask Tem, he'll say yes (I believe  s;) ;) s;) )
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "loadswine"Just a thought, would a bumper or bodykit with a lower front lip do the same job as that airdam?

If you ask Tem, he'll say yes (I believe  s;) ;) s;) )

I hate to repeat myself  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Nigel, please read the thread mark linked above...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

loadswine

Thanks Tem, spot on!
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

Would anyone with the spats and front rubber air dam be able to take photos when they have a chance please.

I've been down to the car to have a look. Seems my 00 is missing the rubber air dam and the rear spats - but have the front.

Thanks

Roo.

Anonymous

I can do that for you on Thursday if no ones done it before then.

Cars gone to mates garage for the bodykit to be fitted

YIPPEEEEEEE !!!!!!!

Going to collect it thursday evening after work, will do it then  :-) :-) :-)

Just realised, thats a bit strange mines a 2000 plate too ( although mine is actually near enough a 2001 on the registration date ) unless owner before me had these added on - cant see it myself though, as the car was 100% standard when I first got it.

Anonymous

Rear Spats - could be a MY01 thing.
Bet mine is a MY00 and yours is a MY01 car - if so, that would explain the absence of these.

As I said - I have the front spats.

Either my front bumper has been messed with, or  the front air dam and rear spats were introduced to from MY01 cars on.

Indeed:
Quote from: "markiii in the other thread"thess were added sometime before 2001 and weren't even on my 2001 car

Thanks for offering to take these for me. Of course we will be wanting full pics of your car with the new kit on as well! Gunna look very very nice!   s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

Yeah I'm an ex seatcupra.net member.
Mine is a 2001 model and think it has everything thats on that list, certainly got those plastic things in front of the wheels anyway. Just had 4 new Toyo tyres fitted 2 weeks ago and the tracking done, to be honest it felt exactly the same with the old tyres which were 4 different makes (not sure why the previous owener did this!). Nothing bad's ever happened at high speeds but just makes me feel a little nervous at times! Nevermind encourages me to drive a little slower!

edward.carter

I think i have got the big plastic strip across the front but i dont think i have got the four in front of the wheels, be interesting to see the pics to see if i am missing anything as the front certainly feels light at "im late for work speed!"   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

philster_d

One of my front undertrays ripped off on the motorway and melted on the road and in the wheel.    s:( :( s:(  

So front feels more gusty than ever now.

kanujunkie

Quote from: "philster_d"One of my front undertrays ripped off on the motorway and melted on the road and in the wheel.    s:( :( s:(  

So front feels more gusty than ever now.

when was this Phil??? was it the tye-wraped one that was already damaged??
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

spit

Roo, Edward et al.

Located some rear spat pics, scribbled on by Markiii on S'chat......

The two screw-bolts in the wheel arch fasten through the plastic into a meccano-type metal bracket on the other side, so you'll need a couple of those too.

bracket 58747-17020.
RH spat 58741-17020
LH spat 58742-17020
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Tags: