Fitted my short shift!

Started by Anonymous, March 30, 2006, 10:05

Anonymous

Hey all,

Fitted my short shift last night (after 2 hours - due to some hugely stupid mistakes on my part), and well impressed. Really makes the shifts sooo much better and it feels like a sturdier gearbox because of it. Easy to fit (when you're not a fool like me) and like the Corky, makes a huge difference to driving the car.

Recommend it to everyone!

Oh thanks to the spydermagazine's guide.. worked a treat!

philster_d

Did you use the same star retainer washer ?

I had it break a few days later ofter I reused it.

Anyway was a disaster stuck without proper gears. but I managed to source some now.

Ill drop you a couple of spares over for emergencies.

Philster.

Anonymous

Slurpy,
Which shifter did you buy? There's quite a few different types out there from £20 ones on ebay to £150+ TRD jobbies.
If yours went in fine then I'd be guided by your recommendation.

kanujunkie

did you fit the speedsource brass bushes at the same time??

they make a real mechanical feel to gear changes, if you want to try some then have a go on mine on saturday
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

edward.carter

i can also highly recommend the speedsource bushes for ~£15 those plus shortshifter are just amazing!!

Anonymous

What's happening Saturday is there a meet? That'd be cool, cheers Kanu.

The kit I fitted was Che's one... it feels very good, very solid. I'm not sure what you mean by the star washer.. where does that go? Is that the one that sits over the main bolt parallel to the pin at the front of the gear lever?

I forgot to replace the plastic grommet that sits over the side bar of the shifter at first, so everytime I was in gear, it would go in fine, but then wobble about like it was in neutral.. not a nice feeling!

Ernie Ball

Quote from: "edward.carter"i can also highly recommend the speedsource bushes for ~£15 those plus shortshifter are just amazing!!

Here's the link, if anyone is looking for it:  m http://www.speed-source.net/ m

karlus972

just fyi...
i installed the TRD shortshifter back in July last year (i think), and it was just easy......plug and play.   s:D :D s:D  
The shift is stiffer and more direct.....lovely.
I especially didn't want to install the gimmicky shift sticks one can find on ebay, for the hassle of the install.
If it works fine for your slurpy that's great!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Madinina Style!!

philster_d

The meet is practicaly in your back garden, see events section.

Regards,
Philster.

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Slurpy J"What's happening Saturday is there a meet? That'd be cool, cheers Kanu.

yeah its the Epsom Downs one that you've already put your name down for!!!
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Ha, I'm such a fool.. I shall be there, it's about 3 minutes from my house!

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Slurpy J"Ha, I'm such a fool.. I shall be there, it's about 3 minutes from my house!

only 10-15mins for me, surprised i've not seen you around the area
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Yeah... I actually saw a silver 2 this morning, with the Toyota kit on it and some new wheels.. wondered if it was one of our lot...

Very odd I haven't seen you about though like you say. Ah well, I shall see you on Saturday!

kanujunkie

well it wasn't mine, i've not got dressed yet let alone walked out the door

anyway back on topic
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

So yes, short shift = the nuts!

mg

Quote from: "Slurpy J"I'm not sure what you mean by the star washer..

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  With the B&M kit, you get a replacement star or locking washer.  It looks like a washer but has slits cut in it and is bevelled and is held on by friction.  It should only go on in 1 direction.  Usually they are a PITA to remove and not damage.
[size=67]2005 Silver | Red Heated Leather | TTE Turbo | TTE exhaust | TTE Lowered Springs | TRD FSB | B&M Short Shift | David\'s Style Bars | Bama Tall Deflector | Red Calipers[/size]

philster_d

Black cars go fastest, easy to miss     s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

kanujunkie

dont worry what it looks like, get one from Phil just in case and if worst comes to the worst i know where he got them from
[size=100]Stu[/size]

philster_d

whats the worst comming to worst ? me getting run over ?

heh

kanujunkie

Quote from: "philster_d"whats the worst comming to worst ? me getting run over ?

heh

your wierd Phil!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Oh I know the thing you are talking about... Mine came off and went back on pretty easily... and looks pretty stead fast on there right now, but I'll take a couple off you Phil if that's alright? You want my address? I can PM you..

Just had some dents taken out of the 2 from the previous owner today, looks all lovely now.. yay!

Anonymous

Are the Speedsource Brass Bushes better than the metal ones supplied by Che? Also what is a shifter cable brushing kit and how does this work?

edward.carter

Quote from: "kj"Are the Speedsource Brass Bushes better than the metal ones supplied by Che? Also what is a shifter cable brushing kit and how does this work?
the metal bushes supplied by che are the ones that go under the shifter cage itself. the shifter cable bushing kit, is the speedsource parts and the are two metal bushes that go on the end of the cable in the engine bay, hope that helps

Anonymous

Thanks edward,

Just wondering has anybody done a write up on how to install the bushes on the cable?

Seen the report on installing the B+M stick and the metal brushes but whereabouts is the cable, sorry but my knowledge of gearboxs and such like is non existant  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

markiii

to my knowledge no

however it is so easy with teh instructions supplied that it's almost impossible to get wrong.

Fancy rwriting teh article when you install yours? we are always looking for new articles
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tags: