Fitted my short shift!

Started by Anonymous, March 30, 2006, 10:05

Anonymous

A little two scared to take a dip without knowing more but a che shortstick and some speed source parts sound good but until today I didn't know how any of it worked?

edward.carter

Quote from: "kj"Thanks edward,

Just wondering has anybody done a write up on how to install the bushes on the cable?

Seen the report on installing the B+M stick and the metal brushes but whereabouts is the cable, sorry but my knowledge of gearboxs and such like is non existant  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

the cable goes from the gearstick down the centre tunnel and into the engine bay and the speed source bushes replace the standard rubber ones on the end where the cable meets the gearbox (just behind the airbox) see here http://www.speed-source.net/shifter_cable_toyota_instructions.htm

edit: the only tricky bit with the cable bushes is getting the old rubber ones out because they are really stiff, but a good flat headed screw driver and and good push from your thumb and they do pop out eventually!   s:) :) s:)    the new ones just drop in in a matter of seconds

markiii

thats it exactly, once you have access to them, (may involve removing teh airbox if you still have it) it's a 10 minute job with needle nose pliers and a screwdriver

this has to be the easiest mod I'v ever done
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Ok talked me into it, Should I buy the speed source metal brushes or are the pieces from che's kit ok

Anonymous

You dont get the speed source brushes with che's kit... you don't get any kind of brush. Che's kist comes with just the gear lever parts. You'll need to by the speed source bushes as well if you want to change the brushes.

edward.carter

two different things, the che short shifter kit bushes are the ones that go under the shifter cage under the actual gearstick.

the speedsource bushes go on the end of the cable in the engine bay

Anonymous

Arn't  these brushes shown in Che's kit.

Ernie Ball

Nope.  Those are the ones for under the shifter itself.

Anonymous

Ok

I'm now offically confused, the brushes in Che's kit only support the shortshifter to what for wont of another word is the deck, Yes? So do the speed source pieces connect to the cable or where, Am I being thick and will this all explain itself when I get the console off andf can see for myself. I,ve looked on the on line instructions but dont know what it is the pic are showing me

markiii

ok, back to basics

che's shifter bolts into a white plastic cage in which normally the oem non short shift stick sits

this white cage is supported from teh floor by 4 rubber bushes 1 at each corner

in order to enhance teh shift action and keep the pivot point teh same, che (and B&M if you buy theirs) supply 4 thicker metal bushings that you use instead to support teh 4 corners of the cage.

at teh other end of the gear cables (engine bay side) the cables terminate in an o shaped metal ring. this slips over pins on the actual gearbox shifter mechanism.

from teh factory the o ends of teh cables are lined with rubber bushings, the speedsource bushings are brass and replace these in order to further tighten and enhance the shift action.

that help?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

aaronjb

Quote from: "kj"the brushes in Che's kit only support the shortshifter to what for wont of another word is the deck, Yes?

Yes.

QuoteSo do the speed source pieces connect to the cable

Yes.

s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

markiii

this article

m http://www.mr2roc.org/subdreamer/index. ... ticleid=11 m

is for installing teh B&M shifter but since ches is to all intents and purposes a copy of teh B&M you it applies just as well and should illustrate the che's part of teh process

Anonymous

Thanks Guys,

50% for the answers 50% for having the patience to listen to the questions

Anonymous

I fitted mine today well yesterday and finished it today as it started to rain yesterday. Not a hard job but fiddly. make a big difference to how quick you can change gear and how direct it feels. I would recomed it to everyone

ninjinski

I know this has been discussed before just want to check - Isnt it true that the TRD short shifter is problematic with the 6-speed box? Otherwise I want one as not too keen on the off centre solution.

Just want clarification ta!
Sable

PERF: TTE TURBO & exhaust, BC Coilovers Markii inlet TRD brace SP Downpipe Exedy Cerametalic Clutch TRD Short Shifter w brass bushings EBC discs/pads OMP steering wheel, front diffuser
ICE: JVC headunit JBL P652s Alpine SWD1600 & 2000 woofers Kenwood 600W amp
EXTERNAL: Mr T spoiler. black brake calipers Dynamat Toyota dust caps Dev\'s keyhole covers Simon\'s hairpins
INTERNAL: Red leather Carbon sill guards TRD stickers Mongo deflectors Chrome gear & dial surrounds Gregg\'s custom logo plate Taurec gauges

mg

Quote from: "ninjinski"Otherwise I want one as not too keen on the off centre solution.

I thought the offset would be a problem as well, but after 6 months of the B&M, it's really is not an issue.  You just get used to it.  I still get a grin watching the wife with her 2 handed reverse selection though!  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
[size=67]2005 Silver | Red Heated Leather | TTE Turbo | TTE exhaust | TTE Lowered Springs | TRD FSB | B&M Short Shift | David\'s Style Bars | Bama Tall Deflector | Red Calipers[/size]

heathstimpson

Quote from: "karlus972"just fyi...
i installed the TRD shortshifter back in July last year (i think), and it was just easy......plug and play.   s:D :D s:D  
The shift is stiffer and more direct.....lovely.
I especially didn't want to install the gimmicky shift sticks one can find on ebay, for the hassle of the install.
If it works fine for your slurpy that's great!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
How much did the TRD one set you back Karlus  s:?: :?: s:?:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

karlus972

Quote from: "heathstimpson"
Quote from: "karlus972"just fyi...
i installed the TRD shortshifter back in July last year (i think), and it was just easy......plug and play.   s:D :D s:D  
The shift is stiffer and more direct.....lovely.
I especially didn't want to install the gimmicky shift sticks one can find on ebay, for the hassle of the install.
If it works fine for your slurpy that's great!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
How much did the TRD one set you back Karlus  s:?: :?: s:?:

I bought it from a guy on Spyderchat for 100 $ if I recall correctly. It's delivered with the white plastic "frame" and the knob   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  . You just need to take the stock frame off, and screw the new one in. The only little pain we had was to fix a tiny little piece of metal underneath the stick, but it's just a matter of patience. I am very happy with it, it's to me one of the best mods I've ever done   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Madinina Style!!

edward.carter

Quote from: "ninjinski"I know this has been discussed before just want to check - Isnt it true that the TRD short shifter is problematic with the 6-speed box? Otherwise I want one as not too keen on the off centre solution.

after a couple of weeks you honestley dont even think about it being off centre, you do get used to it  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Quote from: "ninjinski"I know this has been discussed before just want to check - Isnt it true that the TRD short shifter is problematic with the 6-speed box? Otherwise I want one as not too keen on the off centre solution.

TRD do actually list a seperate kit for a 6 speed box, see here

m http://trdparts.jp/english/list_mr-s.html m

but I've never found anyone who supplies it outside of Japan, just 5 speeds only.

roger

Quote from: "mg"I still get a grin watching the wife with her 2 handed reverse selection though!  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

I grin even more...now she's stopped driving it   s:D :D s:D
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

Your right this dosn't look to hard, Had a look today and I can see what needs changing, So I think I'll treat myself to a early birthday present with a Shortshifter from Che and a Shifter Cable Bushing Kit from Speed Source, they also do a Shifter Base Bushing Kit

I don't need these though Right?

Just wondering has anyone ever bought any of the gear knobs from them? They look a nice piece of kit but I'd probabley be able to get something similar from this end of the Pond.

edward.carter

nope you dont need the base bushes as these are included in with the che  s;) ;) s;)

kanujunkie

only difference between Che's short shifter mounts and those, is Che's are alluminium and those are brass
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

edward.carter

Quote from: "kanujunkie"only difference between Che's short shifter mounts and those, is Che's are alluminium and those are brass
Think of the weight saving   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Tags: