Clutch noise

Started by Tem, September 22, 2003, 18:19

Tem

Some sort of creak/squeak when I press the pedal down. It only comes during the final two inches or so and only when pressing it. It kinda sounds like it's coming from the pedal itself...but when I open the door, it sounds like it's coming from the engine bay. Pretty hard to trace it, since I don't have a co-driver to help out right now  s:) :) s:)

Any ideas what it might be or how to find the cause?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

You could spray the area where the pedal swivles with WD40 or similar then push the pedel a few tilmes to see if the squeek has gone?

Slacey

Mine did this for a while, but has since fixed itself....   s:? :? s:?
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Could be clutch cable Tem. My old Mk1 had a similar thing happen. Could hear it down at the pedal, butthe sound from outside was from the engine bay. A bit weird.......took it to Mr T and they said that it is common for them, especially if they are left outside, for the cable to "dry" out i.e. the internal lubrication fails a little. Nothing detrimental too much, but they did recommend a cable change, which cost me about £70 IIRC.

It might NOT be that with yours, but the problem does sound similar.....  s:? :? s:?

SteveJ

Quote from: "John Woodward"Could be clutch cable Tem. My old Mk1 had a similar thing happen. Could hear it down at the pedal, butthe sound from outside was from the engine bay. A bit weird.......took it to Mr T and they said that it is common for them, especially if they are left outside, for the cable to "dry" out i.e. the internal lubrication fails a little. Nothing detrimental too much, but they did recommend a cable change, which cost me about £70 IIRC.

It might NOT be that with yours, but the problem does sound similar.....  s:? :? s:?

The MkIII (Roadster) has a hydraulic clutch, so the 'noise' may well be air in the master cylinder - this can produce some strange noises as it is squeezed through the small outlet on the cylinder, and should eventually find it's way back into the reservoir - hence Sean's 'fixed itself'

HTH

Anonymous

I have this, can you feel it in the peddle as well?

Darth Paul

I've got this one as well. It's definately coming from the pedal, but there are a couple of places where it 'hinges'.

I've tried WD-40ing – the sound went for a day only to return. I'm going to use Teflon cycle grease next, and if the noise is still there I'll get it sorted during the car's next service.

Bloody irritating – and embarrassing when there's a 'not usual' passenger – to have to explain that your groovy sports car can't stop making stupid noises.  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

DP

Tem

Quote from: "bigun007"I have this, can you feel it in the peddle as well?

Yes.

Quote from: "Darth Paul"I've tried WD-40ing ? the sound went for a day only to return.

Yeah...well, I tried greasing the moving parts of the pedal before asking. Sometimes it seems to help, sometimes it doesn't. Then again, sometimes the noise is there, sometimes it isn't. I can't figure out if it's the outdoor temp or moisture that makes it appear and disappear. But I don't think greasing the pedal really helps at all  s:? :? s:?

And yeah! It's bloody annoying when a casual passenger points it out!  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Air in the cylinder actually sounds like it might cause this...never thought of that...should I air the system like brakes, or..?

Tem

From SC...

cool_apple:
"More precisely the sound is from the clutch plate. Sound seems to transmit thru pedal. But after listening carefully, it's from the plate.

Was told the only way is to remove clutch plate for service. Been advise to do so when i change it . otherwise it can be left as it is."

BenVic:
"I had this at 12k miles - the clutch pressure plate then went at 15k miles.

At first we (myself and the dealer) thought it was comming from the pedal itself so it was put down for investigation. Before I got there the clutch went.

A few arguements later it was fixed on warranty but it fell apart again at 21k miles (this time a bearing went) which was another warranty job."

dmc:
"My clutch squeaks when I press the pedal too. I finally realized it wasn't coming from the pedal but from the slave cylinder. I had a buddy sit in the car and press the pedal while I stood under it. Seemed to me that the pushrod from the slave cylinder to the clutch fork was causing the racket where the rod and fork met. I couldn't find my stethoscope to check for certain, but it seemed a likely culprit as the boot that covers all that mess was torn. Now I just have to figure out how to pry the clutch fork away from the slave cylinder and keep enough hands free to get some grease in there."

Anonymous

SteveJ wrote:
QuoteThe MkIII (Roadster) has a hydraulic clutch, so the 'noise' may well be air in the master cylinder - this can produce some strange noises as it is squeezed through the small outlet on the cylinder, and should eventually find it's way back into the reservoir - hence Sean's 'fixed itself'

Well, thats knackered MY theory then!!! I didn't know that. Shows how much I still have to learn about my car then, doesn't it?!!!  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Anonymous

Mine seems to get worse after a HARD drive - up to redline in 1-2-3

Tem

Quote from: "bigun007"Mine seems to get worse after a HARD drive - up to redline in 1-2-3

Oh sh*t...sorry...but now that you mention it, mine started to make the noise after the last trackday. I hope it's just a lack of grease and not a sign of something more serious  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

i have this noise as well but i use a silicon based grese to lubricate the contact points on the hinge of the pedel

SimonC_Here

So glad it is not just me.
Complained about this in that last service (30k), they said "no problem sir, we will fix that".

Still happens   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  , and it does sound just like air in liquid thanks SteveJ, I am going to print this out and take it to them!

Simon

Anonymous

hay guess what... mine has started to squeek too!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

*note to self... start a 3rd page of complants for my 10k service   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  *

Slacey

Seeing as there are anumber of comments about problems after hard use, do you reckon North Weald might have somrthing to do with it?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Oh, and mine has been fine for ages (and still is) too   s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey"Seeing as there are anumber of comments about problems after hard use, do you reckon North Weald might have somrthing to do with it?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Yeah, im going to blame it on Andy thrashing my car round the airfield!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Tem

Oh btw...about my noise...maybe it had something to do with a VERY worn clutch. The plate was pretty much totally gone and the metal had been scraping against the flywheel already  s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

Haven't had mine checked out yet   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Its becuase i only see the car at weekends sometimes every other w/e (When i'm back from Uni as i aint taking the MR2 into Hull City Centre)

Will get it sorted soon but as the car has only done 6000 miles i guess it'll have to be b4 the service lol

Anonymous

well i was out in the car last night and it was making the usual nasty squeek so when i got home i opened the car door to see if i could hear anything outside the car when pressing the clutch (hopefully not so it was just the peddle or something....) DOH! pressed the clutch with teh door open and a REALLY LOUD squeek/creak came from the under/back of the car.... oops!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Looks like the clutch will be at the top of the complaints list for the service now then!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Slacey

<whisper>

Don't mention North Weald!

</whisper>

Anonymous

I had something like that with my old car and they reckoned it was a worn out clutch cable, and wanted around 200quid to change it.  I didn't pay.  They didn't change it.

Anonymous

Quote from: "phil4"I had something like that with my old car and they reckoned it was a worn out clutch cable, and wanted around 200quid to change it.  I didn't pay.  They didn't change it.

well on a car that has done 10k and is only 8 months old they can pay for it themselves!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"
Quote from: "phil4"I had something like that with my old car and they reckoned it was a worn out clutch cable, and wanted around 200quid to change it.  I didn't pay.  They didn't change it.

well on a car that has done 10k and is only 8 months old they can pay for it themselves!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Oh yes.

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "bigun007"Mine seems to get worse after a HARD drive

Mine is very hit and miss when it happens. I've barely driven mine recently, let alone hard. I notice mine happens when first reversing out the garage or in parking spaces.

And typical, when you get Mr T to listen to it all he can say is "I can't hear a thing sir".

The number of squeaks and rattles my car makes and then goes quiet when Mr T looks at it is driving me mad. I'm sure Mr T thinks I'm making it up half the time   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Tags: