Why the TTE Turbo is the best design yet

Started by markiii, April 2, 2006, 09:48

heathstimpson

Quote from: "kanujunkie"well i test drove the TTET today and i've got to say the performance increase is great, there is no lag at all, the barest feather stroke on the throttle has a responce above the normal and the power only drops off at around 6K. The demo car had an issue today with the new clutch but outside of that she performs great, totaly worth the money

however

on my drive home i went off the beaton track and had a bit of a play, and here my decision on the TTET becomes vague. I love the TTET on the performance side but it lacks that noise, the character you get with NA, the roar that the engine gives off is almost totally gone and for me a sports car is more than just sheer power, its the character of it as well and the engine noise is part of that, i've not made a decsion yet but at the mo i'm not as keen as i was this morning  s:? :? s:?
Stu that is so strange as exactly the same thoughts went through my head. I loved the instant power on tap with the drive in the TTET car today, but also found it rather quite. When I roared down those B roads on my way home I felt that I would miss the sporty sounds my 2 currently has. I wonder what it would sound like with the kit added to my H&S exhaust and intake  s:?: :?: s:?:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

kanujunkie

it would be the same, the turbo restricts the resonance that the intake creates and the H&S wont have any sound to amplify, could be a dissapointment.

I realise this thread was started by Mark to promote the TTET, but i think it would be unfair to just praise it without telling people the other side of the coin, i hope Heaths and my thoughts are apparent, we both think that performance vs reliability wise then the TTET is it. The club is going to work closely with SP to promote and feedback on the TTET and if we talk performance then i for one will sing its praises, its good, really good

the court is out
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "kanujunkie"it would be the same, the turbo restricts the resonance that the intake creates and the H&S wont have any sound to amplify, could be a dissapointment.

Turbo seems to be pretty good muffler itself. I've run mine (non TTE) without any muffler and it's not even loud. The PPE manifold with a cat/muffler is a lot louder.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

aaronjb

Quote from: "Tem"Turbo seems to be pretty good muffler itself.

Tell that to my friends neighbours after we fired the Nissan up with just the turbos on (no exhaust at all)  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

You're right, though - at anything over idle (once the turbine is spinning properly) it kills any induction & exhaust stroke noises pretty much totally.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

philster_d

Please rename this thread "Why the TTE Turbo was the best design yet"   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

spit

Settle in with a brew, people, this rambles on a bit  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

I managed to get a poke around Gazz's TTET today:

Having ploughed through the manual, its amazing to see this in the flesh. The quality of install is nothing short of superb, and I had to remind myself that it hadn't always been there   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

This feeling continued on a jaunt out with Gazz at the wheel. I was struck by the refinement of the TTET. The turbo has a lovely whistle to it as it spools up, which is accompanied by a surge of power that is so incredibly smooth.

The journey back was even better cos Gazz let me drive  s8) 8) s8)  . After messing up his seat position and eventually finding reverse (  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  ), I managed to enjoy the B-roads followed by a motorway push.

First thing I noticed was how planted the car is at speed on the twisties. Is this bracing (that I don't have), spats (ditto), lowering springs (ditto) or the dampers of a newer car (sadly, ditto again  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  )? Probably a bit of everything, but what a beautiful starting point to invite a turbo install.

The gearchanges were a breeze in Gazz's car compared to mine and the turbo didn't seem to object to being spun down as much as mine does - but again that might be a sign of transmission tiredness on my car so I can't be conclusive about it.

In terms of power, I honestly couldn't tell how Gazz's TTET compared to my C2, and I suspect he'd say the same. The TTET offers no tell-tale bangs and whistles like you get with the kits (and lets face it, the TTET is not a kit). It just glides you up to speed without any fuss.

And this, I think, is Stu's point. Its an eerily peaceful performance drive! Personally, I loved it, but now I know exactly what he means about the absence of any roar or fuss that says "hey, there's some serious power going on here". But as Mark comments, there are ways to roughen the car up if thats your thing.

Finally, the big question (for me anyway).....would I swap the satin purse for the silk one? I'm sure Gazz won't be offended if I say "no", but then I went FI for the self-install and the rather masochistic challenge of running a DIY kit on a daily basis without anything dropping off or going bang  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

But if turnkey, warrantied and polished performance (and plenty of it) is your thing, and you don't want to be keeping one eye on the road and one ear on the engine, the TTET takes some beating.

Absolutely finally, lets talk money. Having seen and driven this, I'm flabergasted how the TTET comes in at £4k installed. Yes, its an indulgence rather than a necessity. But if you love your '2, put a book value on it, add on £4k, and you've got a car that'd out-perform something at twice the price.

.....and.....relax   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

ps many thanks to Gazz for entrusting me with his pride and joy. You're a star matey
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

kanujunkie

Quote from: "spit"And this, I think, is Stu's point. Its an eerily peaceful performance drive! Personally, I loved it, but now I know exactly what he means about the absence of any roar or fuss that says "hey, there's some serious power going on here". But as Mark comments, there are ways to roughen the car up if thats your thing.

thats exactly what i mean, i love being a bit of a boy racer and turning heads as this little car of ours roars like a big V engine car, its great and half of the drive for me, something i'm still not sure i want to lose, mind you with a 200Bhp+ tune, i may be swayed  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Tags: