Philster_d - powered by gas

Started by philster_d, April 4, 2006, 10:14

philster_d

Arrrrggg

my car is hesitant and bogging today at all kind of revs.

Especialy when trying to drive at a steady speed. (Didnt try flat out felt too risky)

Any ideas ?

fs I am having the worst week after the best week.   s:( :( s:(  i prefer the other order.

Everything has been imaculate to now. Did something pop off ? Its been sat for a day and thats the only thing different. It had a good run every other day.

Phil

Anonymous

I think a hose or something poped off, check all connections!

TommyD

Check all clamps and hoses. The hose connectors have a tendency to work themselves off. Check e-manage connections - might need a ecu reset. Clean the MAF, or possibly it's a dirty injector - flush through with a can of injector cleaner. All these have been causes of problems for me.
[size=100]Sable MR2[/size], David\'s Bars, TTE Rear Sports Spoiler, TRD side skirts, TRD front cross brace, Lampka rear cross brace and under bracing, Whiteline swaybars, Whiteline spings, 2\'srus Drop links, RPS clutch

philster_d

lol thanks Tommy,

i checked all hoses I could see/reach but the ones that go to the side of the engine are harder to see.

Anonymous

Check around the Throttle body, look for smaller hoses too. If want make digi pics to be able to share.

philster_d

Ill get to the bottom of things   s:) :) s:)   Im going out after dinner for another look.

Philster.

philster_d

after further investigation.

Its the pipe from the tsv that goes to behind the engine. (straight down)

Too dark now but ill be out in the morning to try to replug it.

Thx for your advice guys, can I say exaclty correct    s8) 8) s8)  

gj

Philster.

philster_d

I just cant find where this stupid little pipe goes to    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

Behind the oil cap was Marks guidance I felt all over there but I cant seem to find it, I did find a similar diameter Blue silicone one still connected around there tho ?

spit

[edited cos it was the rantings of a loon - picture retained to show the hose and where it goes   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  ]
Normally lives behind the throttle plate Phil. Sod to get to but have a finger around and you'll find it.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

philster_d

fs messenger broke now, bear with me

Nothing anywhere along the blue hose

I cant see the one marked PCV in your diagram, but there is a slightly wider pipe from around there to the top left of the engine...

spit

oops Mea Culpa Phil. The hose does have its own connection further round into the inlet manifold (and even harder to get to!) Give me a few mins and I'll photgraph it for you and show you exactly where it is......

philster_d

You are the man!

thank god cos Im depressed

spit

here y'go (and MSN'd too).

Your hose should pass between the two take offs (marked "PCV" and "Breather" in the previous pic) and down onto the TB/intake. I've marked it with an arrow.

In fact, you can see it in its entirety in the previous picture. Doh - blonde moment alert  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

spit

OK Update after having a chat with Phil. It seems we all have slightly different setups across the FI community, so maybe some of you others can help:

- Phil's Crankcase breather hose is on an air filter to atmosphere and the breather attachment point in front of the throttle plate is capped off - easy enough.

- His PCV hose from the crankcase is stock, attached behind the throttle plate.

- His Sard BOV is tapped in where the pipe-to-electric gizmo-to-charcoal canister used to be (arrowed in the photo above - sorry dunno what its called)

- so, his disconnected gizmo pipe now has nowhere to attach. I was expecting it to be tee'd with the BOV hose. Maybe it didn't pop off - maybe it was always left dangling after install?

Can it be left dangling? I suspect it can but I'm afraid I don't know enough about the gizmo or the canister or what they do to say for sure.  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

philster_d

OK really feeling more like this pipe should just be off, seing these great pictures and looking for hours.

I reset the ECU and its driving fine, although, I only went around the block.

In a minute I need to pop over to Slurpy's so I will report back after that.

Cheers,

/Philster.

Slacey

Quote from: "spit"Can it be left dangling? I suspect it can but I'm afraid I don't know enough about the gizmo or the canister or what they do to say for sure.  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Yes it can - Hass set theirs up like that but I reconnected mine. That VSV pipe isn't the problem.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

spit

Quote from: "Slacey"That VSV pipe isn't the problem.

VSV ! That's it!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  thanks Sean - I had a mental block over the name of the thing..... me'n'phil still not got the foggies wot the binoculars case actually does though  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Phil - I'm back now - it was a lovely view  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

markiii

Quote from: "Slacey"
Quote from: "spit"Can it be left dangling? I suspect it can but I'm afraid I don't know enough about the gizmo or the canister or what they do to say for sure.  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Yes it can - Hass set theirs up like that but I reconnected mine. That VSV pipe isn't the problem.

they do your sure?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

philster_d

Well it was fine over to epsom and back, a bit dull.

While there Slurpy cleaned my MAF for me with his new wonder spray (1600 pounds worth per can)

And its even clearer, next job is the plugs.

Cheers all,

Philster.

Slacey

Quote from: "philster_d"And its even clearer, next job is the plugs.
Were they not changed as part of the install?
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

philster_d

Nope

I fitted iridiums yesterday.

I had a flashing engine light, miraculously outside Dans house, so he read the codes - about 4 in all, my known error - the o2 heater circuit, and the others where missfires.

Then on the way back over to Marks I also had another incident of the car degrading unbelievably, like the symptoms I described before bogging all over.

The final solution last time was to reset the ECU so this time I pulled onto the hard shoulder and reset it again.

A few minutes later set off and it was fine so it doesnt look like an air leak after all?

I had a flashing orange engine light later (miraculously again outside Markiii's house   s:lol: :lol: s:lol: ) so he got his code reader, but there was no codes to be read ? ? ?

Any ideas ? Ste's idea that the banks are fighting seems plausible ? Dans car was also ignition mapped at Thor, mine isnt.

Also, on reflection, maybe I should stay away from their houses   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:     s:lol: :lol: s:lol:     s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Philster.

Anonymous

IIRC, when I had flashy CELs I also did get a code every time, but according to the BGB a flashy light is alway a bad misfire.

FWIW Phil, I also felt a slight bogging of the engine when I drove it at low revs and then went WOT. No way near as bad as mine used to be when running Jay's map, but it was definately there on occaision.

You sure there's no air leak between the MAF and fuel rail?

philster_d

Quote from: "Ekona"You sure there's no air leak between the MAF and fuel rail?

Well no, but I dont know how I can tell ?

Ive exhausted the MK1 eyeball search   s:( :( s:(

markiii

I;m not convinced an air leak would cause a misfire cel

sure it would run lean or bog, but ignition should be ok?

Ste, did you get anything liek this with your 02 issue?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Only real way to tell is to do a pressure test on the whole system manually, with a pressure guage and pumping the whole thing up to pressure whilst blocking off the exhaust. For now, I'd be tempted to remove the MAF and any couplings upward of it, and re-make every joint yourself just to eliminate anything.

Tags: