The Toyota Jemca Saga.. Update!

Started by Anonymous, April 8, 2006, 15:55

Anonymous

Hmm, what are the chances? I remove my pre cats, which were fine anyway, only to have the warning light come on for the first time a few days after.

It came on today on my way back from a friends house. I wasn't really driving excessively, although had noticed when in second and floored, the car slurred a bit before it got going. This only happened in second, no other gear.

I dropped down to my local MR T on the way home who ran through the diag machine and said it was to do with the oxygen sensor. I then got a bit of paper saying something was loose and it has been tightened. The light has since gone off but I've been told to keep an eye on it. He also said it was due to "this mysterious part" not being tightened that the engine was running a tad on the rich side. Any ideas what this might have been? I couldnt speak with the mechanic as he went home, I only got the revised version from the sales desk...

Still, they didnt charge me for it..

markiii

if it was a loose 02 sensor that woudl probably explain it

th error code was probably a bank too rich error
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Nothing serious then. Probably you didn't tighten down one of the 02 sensors after gutting the manifold.
Is good to know as I may be gutting mine over easter.

Anonymous

Hi Slurpy J

Just as a matter of interest, has it stopped popping when you exhaust / rev ?

Thanks
Rob S

Anonymous

Thanks Mark, put my mind at ease a little...

It still pops a little.. not as much as it did, but occassionally. I still find though, if I'm at low revs and say, in third, and I floor it, it will start to accelerate, then for a second or so, seem to lose power, then come back in again.. only wasy i can describe it is say you turn a hose on, and the water flows ok, then comes out in a large burst and seems to stutter, before flowing again.. you know?

/is probably making no sense at all!

Anonymous

Just a thought, have you re-set your ECU since you made the change. If not just disconnect the battery for 15 mins that will reset the ECU which will then re-educate itself to the new set-up. I did this after I had my new exhaust system was fiited, it made it a lot smoother.  s:D :D s:D  

On the low rev pick up I must admit my car does not like being pushed like this, so I just change down and away it goes, more noticable in the 6 speed cars due to the gear settings.

Thanks
Rob

Anonymous

Ahh, no haven't tried that Rob.. will give it a go tonight.

Cheers buddy

Anonymous

I have just been out to lunch in it, and it's basically not right. I will accelerate fully in 2nd, 3rd or 4th and just get no response from the engine.. maybea  chug, then it'll go.. but when i get to around 3.5 - 4k rpm the engine continues to rev but doesnt seem to feed any power to the wheels, ie the car sounds like its accelerating but it isnt...

Whats up with my baby??  s:( :( s:(

edward.carter

if revs are going up but speed isnt sound like clutch has gone?

aaronjb

Yep - if the RPM is going up out of sync. with the real speed then the clutch is lunched.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

No not liek that... hmm what I mean is, it'll chug and lurch then accelerate.. then just not accelerate as quickly as normal.. like it'll hover around 50mph for ages even though the engine sounds like it's trying to go faster and my foot is floored.

Could it possibly be the injectors?

Pretty sure it's not the clutch as it's not shooting up (rev wise) and not moving like it would with a clutch.. just the engine feels unresponsive and slow. Sorry for not explaining it clearly..

Anonymous

Could be spark plugs ?

Are you getting a CEL Slurpy ?

Anonymous

Not at the moment.. had one on Saturday but Toyota reckoned it was just a loose O2 sensor and it's gone since then.

The only thing that has changed recently is the new Che manifold and new air filter.

Anonymous

Any one confirm - could this be caused by a leak ? Loosing compression ?

Anonymous

I've just topped up the oil and refueled... checked there was nothing loose etc in the engine bay. If anyone else has any suggestions as to what it might be, please let me know. I'll see what it's like on the way home from work.  s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

Hmm just read this thread http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10676&highlight=rpm and this sounds very much like what mine is doing. Will drop it off to have the spark plugs checked this week..

Anonymous

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

could be some bad fuel causing a misfire or could be a dirty spark plug by the sounds of things

Anonymous

Well I refueled, topped up the oil and replaced all the spark plugs with new ones as it still did the same thing.

Basically, the symptoms are stuttering, lurching acceleration/power when on full throttle in any gear and then lack of power/acceleration over 5,000 rpm.

My thoughts are that perhaps there is a leak in the new manifold somewhere and thus, when you floor it, air is escaping as the pressure is greater than when you are gradually accelerating. That might also explain the lack of power over 5000 rpm? Just speculating though, I could be talking crap!

I've just dropped it off at Jemca in Kingston and they're going to take a look at it for me tomorrow. Hope it's nothing serious!

spit

Has this problem been with you since dropping the precats? If it has, then that would seem the obvious thing to investigate (ie anything that was dismantled/re-assembled or disturbed during the process.

IMHE the chances of a coincidental failure somewhere else are far less likely than a self-inflicted issue (but there's no accounting for bad luck!).

There's a lot of simple stuff you can do to exclude it as a contributor to the problem eg ECU reset, MAF clean, O2 clean.

That said, if it turns out to be a firing issue, its a very simple job. Sure you'll get it sorted OK.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

Nice one.. well last night I reset the ECU, replaced all the spark plugs, topped up the oil and refueled and there was still no change sadly. It may just be, like you said, new O2 sensors/cleaning them or a problem with the MAF> The issue has only occurred really since I had the new manifold fitted, so I reckon it'll have something to do with that.

Hoping it's nothing too serious, although the engine sounds fine otherwise.

philster_d

I have my old manifold here now if you wanna borrow it to test back in original config.

Anonymous

Great.

Just got a call from Toyota who have said my Catalytic converter is breaking up internally and needs to be replaced. They are calling me back in 15 minutes with a price for parts and labour.

edward.carter

dont even pick up the phone. new main cat from toyota is 6/7/£800 start looking for a 2nd hand main cat. first port of call as always is  w www.gt-international.com w

spit

Quote from: "edward.carter"dont even pick up the phone. new main cat from toyota is 6/7/£800 start looking for a 2nd hand main cat. first port of call as always is  w www.gt-international.com w

or send me a PM - I've got one lying around. J-Spec though  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  but guess thats OK for you Slurpy
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Tags: