The Toyota Jemca Saga.. Update!

Started by Anonymous, April 8, 2006, 15:55

edward.carter

problem solved in a matter of mins   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

F*ck me! Toyota want £1300 for the two cats that have gone..

Right so GT-international or Spit it is.

Spit, you say yours is J-spec. Why do you think that will be fine on my UK 00? Sorry I'm not that knowledgable about it all!

aaronjb

Quote from: "Slurpy J"F*ck me! Toyota want £1300 for the two cats that have gone..

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Sorry - but that's rather amusing.

They've just quoted you to replace the preCATs that you just removed!

The MR2 has three CATs in total - two in the manifold (the precats that you gutted, that they want to replace) and one main CAT (in the exhaust itself).
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

I just phoned the the girl in the service dept... this is the convo we had:

M = Me    T = Toyota

M - Hi im a little confused as to what I'm being quoted from, is it the pre cats that have gone or the main one in the exhaust?

T = It's the pre cats

M = I dont want to replace the pre cats, they havent broken up, its a new manifold in there, that doesnt have pre cats fitted.

T = You haven't changed the manifold, you've added an accessory

M = No no, I definitely have replaced the manifold, it cost me £150 last week.

T = No, you have two catalytic converters in the car, both of them have gone.

M = Well I'm happy to pay for the one in the exhaust if that's gone, but I'm not giving you well over a grand just to put back what I've just removed. I could give you the old manifold back if I wanted to do that. I think the main cat in the exhaust should be £600. Is that what has gone?

T = I dont know, I'll clarify with the technician in the morning for you and call you back.. sorry about this!

Do I really want these muppets fixing my car?!?!

Anonymous

Slurpy, I thought you installed a Che header? Didn't they notice the lack of even room for pre-cats, never mind the pre-cats themselves?

I'm worried now, I've just ordered a Che header myself as an alternative to gutting, is your main cat break-up anything to do with your new header?

Rich

Anonymous

I dont even know if my main cat has broken up! I dont even know what's wrong with it now. I think they have just seen there are no pre cats and have said, yep, they've broken up, he needs new ones.

Anonymous

Doh, must have been typing this as you were typing your last message.

Still worried, think the Che header helped knacker the main cat?

Rich

Anonymous

Who would have thought MR T actually diagnosing a problem with pre-cats.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  I wonder if they actually noticed the manifold was different. i.e. there's no space for them in a Che manifold.

Anonymous

ooops a little late there amongst the flurry of posts.  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Anonymous

So confused! I still have no idea what's wrong with my car and if they really do think my pre cats have broken up, there is no way I want them to try and suss out what really is causing the problem!

kanujunkie

if the main cat has gone then give Adam(Jap GT300) a pm, he'll have a second hand one for  a lot cheaper than £600
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

I'm no expert here.  But it seems too much of a coincidence that this happened soon after the manifold swap.  I'd plump for a leak somewhere in the system or a 02 sensor going belly up after being pulled out of one manifold and stuck in the other.

Anonymous

That's what I reckon... either a leak or an O2 sensor. Will the O2 sensor cause these sort of symptoms?

I also can't see how replacing the header would cause the main cat to break up, if that's what they are saying?!

philster_d

Mine is for sale, need to recoup some losses here.

Low milage and good condition, I even have the gaskets.

Say £100 ? also if your still giving me that exhaust to give for mark ? then lets say £80   s:) :) s:)

PM me

Philster

Anonymous

Yeah nice one!! The exhaust is ready to collect so we can swap then.

If I find out tomorrow that's what I need, then I'll take you up on that buddy! Thanks

edward.carter

Quote from: "Slurpy J"T = You haven't changed the manifold, you've added an accessory
What a quality line...   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

spit

Bizarre and ridiculous treatment you're getting from MrT Slurpy.

I'll sit back and watch for now, but if you need any bits at rock-bottom prices, let me know.

.....and re. the J-Spec Cat (which you probably don't need now), I was mis-led by the MR-S in your signature line.  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

No worries. My view on it now is that I'm not paying the diagnostic fee when all they have told me is what I'd written in the notes anyway (I have replaced the manifold - thus the pre cats have been removed)

If, when they ring me in the morning, they restore any sort of faith that they know what they are doing, then I'll leave it with them. If however, they still are unable to differentiate fully, their arse from their elbow, I'll be taking it elsewhere.

What makes me laugh is there solution for the pre cats crumbling away is to replace them. Hmmm, where do you think these pre cats have disappeared to if they have crumbled away? In my engine perhaps? In which case, sticking two new ones in might not be the wisest option..

loadswine

If there is no leak, I wonder if the cat had taken some percussive damage during the changing of the manifold. There aren't that many connections to get wrong electrically with replacing the manifold.
Are all the nuts and studs in place? Leaks can be a right pain.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

So, haven't heard back from Mr T yet, but I did have a chat with a local mechanic. He suggested that because I changed the air filter and the manifold at the same time, the pre-cats, which were cleaning the air previously, are obviously no longer there, so the lambda sensor is receiving all kinds of different information than it's used to, and the mixture will be much richer. Thus, my car will lurch on full throttle etc and generall cause the symptoms I have been having. I asked if it's possible the ECU just needs to re-learn my engine set up, and he said that's "very likely".

So, is it worth asking MR T to just reset my ECU for me and then leave the car well alone, just so I can see if the problem fixes itself? I was also thining about ordering two new O2 sensors, just to be on the safe side.

Can someone also advise me, if an O2 sensor had gone, wouldn't that generate a CEL? The trouble is, I have no CEL at the moment, so it's hard to diagnose a problem..

kanujunkie

hang on a minute, i thought you'd already disconnected the battery for 15minutes to reset the ECU??
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

I did, but that didnt seem to do the trick.. I wasn't sure whether I definitely reset it or not   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Slurpy J"I did, but that didnt seem to do the trick.. I wasn't sure whether I definitely reset it or not   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

if it was off for 15mins then yes you did reset it and it would have cleared the ECU's memory
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Ahh ok, thanks Stu.. well that's annoying... Toyota are calling me back in the next few minutes.. will let you know what they say

Anonymous

Hmmmmm.........

The plot thickens.

Interested to find out what the problem is - as a 2000 owner still with Pre-Cats, the Che Manifold is probably the route Im going to take...... but want to know how to resolve the issue your having at the moment, as knowing my luck with cars, the same ( if not worse ) is bound to happen to me.

Tags: