hood material

Started by Anonymous, June 3, 2003, 14:30

Anonymous

whats the hood on my mr2 made of? and more importantly can i use autoglym's fabric hood kit on it?......its an 03

GSB

Its a 3 layer hood consisting mainly of a hardwearing vinyl outer layer, a rubber like waterproof centre layer and a fabric liner on the inside. The outside is textured to look like fabric but is in fact man made. Most people here will tell you to use the Autoglym vinyl and rubber care stuff, which is probably your best bet, but I have used the fabric hood kit for the last 18 months with no problems and always have a very nice finish on my hood...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

I use the new Turtle wax hood cleaner and conditioner kit (two piece).  Kris recommended it.

The hood looks very nice and black now, before it always seems to look a bit gritty.

Anonymous

but dont blame me if it falls apart!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

Sorry, have to go slightly off topic for 1 post only - Kris is your 2 trying to fly in your avanta.

Anonymous

its flapping damn hard....! well i was told it was light so thought i would give it a go!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

yeah i use turtle wax 2 bit kit and works very well, gets rid of all grit and the condistioair makes the material a lot more supple and richer looking black   s:P :P s:P

Anonymous

How often should I be doing the roof then. Seem to be cleaning the car all the time at the moment coz of the flies.

Anonymous

i clean my car most weekends, or every other if the weather has been nice and not too many bugs, but i dont do the roof all the time... ive cleaned it twice in 2 months.

Anonymous

i normally clean the hood everytime i wash the car once a week say. but thast only with shampoo not the hood cleaner, after the shampoo i then clean the hood with the hood cleaner and then once the cars waxed i then put on the condidtioner, i would say that since using teh condiditoner the hood material has become much more mailerball and less prone to cracks!

i would say once a week is enoght   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

yeah sorry, didnt explain myself very well... the hood gets cleaned with a sponge when i wash the car, but not always with the cleaner and conditioner.   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Anonymous

I've found what seems to be the perfect products for cleaning and protecting our vinyl top.

m http://www.renovouk.com/products/kit_vst.php m

Ronovo Vinyl Cleaner and Renovo Ultra Proofer.

I onln received the bottles today, so I will test these products on a small area of the soft top tomorrow night. The cleaner is milky / clear liquid and is brushed onto the surface and cleaned of with a damp spunge. The Ultra Proofer is again applied with a brush and left to dry.

I bought my bottles at  w www.frost.co.uk w  but it's cheaper through the manufacturers website above.

I will report my conclusions soon.

Puggman

Tem

Quote from: "GSB"I have used the fabric hood kit for the last 18 months with no problems and always have a very nice finish on my hood...

FWIW, I contacted Autoglym about this matter and they told me NOT to use their fabric hood kit for our top, but the Bumper Care.

NOTENOTENOTE  s:) :) s:)  I'm confusing their products! The Bumper Care is the right stuff, not the Vinyl&Rubber care. Just checked the email I got from them.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

I have always used the Autoglym vinyl and rubber spry on stuff. Its not too bad although it does leave the black a bit uneaven if you dont spread the stuff well enough over the hood. Might try this turtle wax gear that you guys are bangin on about..   s:o :o s:o

Anonymous

I have used the TW stuff twice now and the roof looks so healthy (if thats the correct term).

GSB

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "GSB"I have used the fabric hood kit for the last 18 months with no problems and always have a very nice finish on my hood...

FWIW, I contacted Autoglym about this matter and they told me NOT to use their fabric hood kit for our top, but the Vinyl&Rubber care.

Oooh... Any idea what the reasons were? or is one better tha the other? As far as I can tell the fabric kit consists of a very mild detergent to remove the dirt, followed by a waterproofing solution. It works really welll...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "GSB"Oooh... Any idea what the reasons were? or is one better tha the other? As far as I can tell the fabric kit consists of a very mild detergent to remove the dirt, followed by a waterproofing solution. It works really welll...

Basically because our top isn't fabric. It does no harm and it can be used safely, as I did for the leftovers I had. But it's not the best way to take care of our top. When you run out of that, try to clean the top with the Interior Shampoo and then use the Bumper Care to protect it. Have to admit I was surprised of the difference it made.

NOTENOTENOTE  s:) :) s:)  I'm confusing their products! The Bumper Care is the right stuff, not the Vinyl&Rubber care. Just checked the email I got from them.

Anonymous

I know this sounds a stupid question, but I'm new to the world of softops, are you suggesting using the "Interior Shampoo" on the inside or the ourside of the roof?

Tem

Quote from: "phil4"I know this sounds a stupid question, but I'm new to the world of softops, are you suggesting using the "Interior Shampoo" on the inside or the ourside of the roof?

The outside. Though I'm sure you can use it on the inside as well, if you need to clean it. Don't use the bumper care on the inside though.

And you know there are no stupid questions...

darrenjuggins

HI,

I use the Autogym Vinyl Cleaner, I spray it onto a sponge then wipe on the roof, works great. leaves the roof a lovely black and even with a nice supple feel.

Darren J
Darren A. Juggins

Anonymous

Does toyota officially recommend any hood cleaner for the MR?

I've asked the salesguy during my negotiation and he just mentioned plain old soap and water(!)

Anonymous

yeah Mr T just say use soap and water and a sponge but thast what they would say tho,

If you worried about using products on the hood, Just use a nail brush like textureed brush and hot soapy water, aleast it will get all the grit out of it   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

I've just ordered some Renovo vinyl roof cleaner and ultraproofer as well - I'll let you know how ggod it is when I get it.

Anonymous

Quote from: "RUSTY"I've just ordered some Renovo vinyl roof cleaner and ultraproofer as well - I'll let you know how ggod it is when I get it.

Guys,

I have used the Renovo stuff on my roof and although it removed the white-ish areas where the internal bars were leaving marks, it didn't quite give me the jet-black finish I hankered for.    s:( :( s:(  

I did a quick write up of my experience on Spyderchat, but as it seems to be down at the moment, can't provide you with a link to the thread in question...   s:( :( s:(  

I might try the Turtle Wax stuff, and Halfords have propbably got it on buy-one-get-one-free so it should be good value...   s:) :) s:)  

Sundance   s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

I use the turtle wax roof kit. It cleans the roof well but wont give you a jet black roof if thats waht your after.

Tags: