Rusty brake discs

Started by Anonymous, June 3, 2003, 15:16

Anonymous

Just tried to get my rusty brake discs replaced at my local Toyota garage and it felt like the Spanish inquisition were back. They seem to be querying my extended warrantee and generally treating me like I was trying to get one over them?

Williams of Telford don't seem to be very customer friendly at the moment. I'm still waiting for the go ahead phone call which I've a feeling I'll have to chase up.

Anyway, I was just wondering what the general experience was out there when Toyota have replaced the rusty discs. Do they replace the pads as well?

I asked if they did replace them but they didn't even think that it was under consideration. "The old pads will bed in during the test drive and there will be no problem" seemed to be the opinion of the mechanic.

I remember reading that other people have had their pads replaced. Mine have probably half (or less)  the tread left on them.

Thanks

Julian

Anonymous

when changeing discs you should always change the pads so it's worth asking teh question if they are. as the pads ware with the dics so the pads may be a different shape to the new disc (surface shape that is) But rusty brake disc's are quite comon and tehy should be replaced under warrenty even extended warrenty, if your not happy witht eh service the provide just go some where else, normally works   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

I got my discs changed no problem, but after enquiring on the pads, they said they don't need to be changed. And so far so good.

I'm not too sure I like that idea myself, but there hasn't been any problems simce I have had them done. (By the way, I got my discs changed with 4 days left of the warrnty to go. They actually changed them AFTER the warranty date was up! If you get any problems, go elsewhere and LET THEM KNOW that you are going elsewhere. They will soon change their tune!)

Anonymous

Just had a call from the garage. Rusty brake discs aren't covered in the extended warranty - Arrh! Apparently it's a cosmetic problem and not a mechanical failure.

I've got the number for Toyota costumer services but I'll thinking maybe I should go somewhere else and try and get them replaced there before kicking up a fuss?

The frustrating thing is that I went to the garage before my factory warranty cover ran out a couple of months ago, and the mechanic even pointed the problem out. But he suggested waiting until my next service to get the work done. But of course, he never recorded the problem down on the job card so I have no proof.

Cheers

Julian

Slacey

Julian, when you say "Williams" are you referring to William A Lewis on Stafford Park?
I use the sister branch in Shrewsbury (purely because of the two, it opened first and I needed a service) and I can't reccomend them enough - they changed my brake discs (I went in about the calipers looking shabby) without me mentioning them - they pointed it out. As for the calipers, they painted them (red) free of charge as Toyota said no to a warranty replacement (as with your problem, they said it was only cosmetic).
Try giving them a call, you never know!

Oh, and they did not change the pads.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Yeah Williams A Lewis - the replacement for Hyltons.

I went to the Shrewsbury branch to replace my blistered alloys which they did eventually after moaning about 1 of them being scuffed. But the service manager managed to get Toyota to agree to get them all replaced in the end.

To be honest, the Shrewsbury branch does seem much better than the Telford branch. My only quibble is that they should of noticed the rusty discs when they replace the alloys. It is very obvious.

I'm now waiting a call back from the Toyota customer service line but I'm not that hopeful.

As for trying the Shrewsbury branch, I doubt it would work. As they're the same company and all? But I guess there's no harm in trying.

Slacey

It's funny how the level of service can vary between customers - as I said, their customer service with me has been exemplary, even though my car is a Danish import - they registered the car with Toyota UK no questions asked. Strange.

Anonymous

My car has just had its 2-year service at Beadles in Medway (Kent).  I asked them to look at all four hubs/discs as they are all rusting.

They have inspected them and agreed that they need replacing, the parts have been ordered.

On a different topic: Beadles are a good dealer but lack customer parking and their service department is not very helpful when enquiring about TTE parts, something along the lines of 'We have trouble getting TTE parts ....' end of conversation !

Anonymous

I have long read about the problem of rusting disc on our MR2 and just wonder how severe does the problem get before Mr T will consider changing the offending item.

My car is almost a year old and although the calipers are discoloured and the disc pick up surface rust very quickly, especially after washing the car for example, I would not consider the effect to be so detrimental to consider complaining to the Dealer.

Just how bad does it get???

Same question please on the blistering wheel subject......just how bad do they go??

Andrew

Anonymous

Ours is now 6 months old and the calipers look shit!...to coin a phrase.

Are these covered, I want them painted, as they look unfinished and...shit!.

If they are not covered, what is the cost of getting them painted by Mr T?..I presume it has to be done with "special" paint

Slacey

I had my calipers painted (they are what I went in to complain about) free of charge as a gesture of good will (Toyota said no to a warranty replacement) when they replaced my (IMO not very rusty at all) discs.
It really seems to depend on the dealer by the looks of it.
Oh, and my wheels havent bubbled at all... yet!

Slacey

Quote from: "cstevens"I presume it has to be done with "special" paint

Sorry, forgot to mention this above, it is special paint, but readily available from halfords in a variety of colours.

Anonymous

I had my discs replaced under warranty in January (20k) miles

The rust was not on the plate surface but on the "hub" bit (v. technical)

Dealer was Jemca in Edgeware Road

since then one has rusted again - same place - and the other three have rust in patches

i will be looking to get them replaced at 30k probably end of July

Anonymous

Hi there.

Got my car back from the garage on Monday, having had all 4 discs replaced under warranty, including all new pads! After 38500 miles I thought my front pads still had some wear left, but looking at the new ones, I was probably due for a bill sometime soon!

The discs were pretty rusty around the hubs, and so the shiny new silver ones look fantastic by comparison now.

Annoyingly I now have a new glove box lid with a different key, despite requesting that they don't change the lock.. which reminds me, I have to ring them and make sure that they fished my old lock out of the parts bin!

Tim

Anonymous

Err, I only got my MR2 on Friday.  I'm looking for a bit of clarification about the alloy wheel and rusty brakes issue.

I found out about the bubbling wheels issue when I started looking around for an MR2.  My local dealer (Arrive Bristol North) told me it was due to a chemical reaction between the paint on the alloys and the hub cap in the centre of the wheel.  He said these usually get replaced under warranty.  Is this correct?  The MR2 I just bought is suffering from this slightly so should I ask for them to be replaced?

I've also noticed the brake surface gets rusty easily.  The rim of the disc also looks pretty orange.   Again, do I need to get this looked at? Will me dealer replace these for me?  

Cheers

Mike

PS: Excellent website, good comments, sensible tips.

Slacey

The bubbling alloys I believe are due to poor coating on the back side of the wheel, mine haven't gone bad yet. The discs will rust on the surface, this is normal, but if there is a lot of rust on the top edge and hub of the part, then your dealer should replace them under warranty. Mine have been replaced with no hassle, as have a few others on here.
Anyway, don't worry about these minor things, enjoy the car!   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Looks like its my turn.  Toyota sounded a little unsure, but the woman on the phone was polite and helpful.  I've booked it in with my service and im in a very "look mate, they have rusted and they shouldnt have, fix it" mood.

Anonymous

but you should be in

" i have a baseball bat and a very hungry jack russle in the car so fix it"

kinda mood   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Thats only because you can just about squeeze a jack russel in the car.  We have a cav king charles pup, my first choice was a german shepard

Anonymous

when im older i want a alsation short haired a well behaved police dog yay but at a clikc of my finger could kill anyone LOL   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

Even the mother in law

Anonymous

Quote from: "cstevens"Even the mother in law

Quite possibly the first person you tried it on, just to see if it worked  s;) ;) s;)

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "JulianT"Just tried to get my rusty brake discs replaced at my local Toyota garage and it felt like the Spanish inquisition were back.

Click here

Slacey

Cheered me up no end!   s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

Tags: