Rusty brake discs

Started by Anonymous, June 3, 2003, 15:16

dancarbon

I've just had the discs and wheels replaced at Benwell in Leeds, I didn't get the spanish inquisition but their attitude wasn't very good - disinterested I would say. They wouldn't entertain painting the calipers, wouldn't even discuss it.

They didn't replace the pads, even though I said they could (I would have had to pay for the pads) - after 30K miles they said they had less than 50% wear!!! How long do these pads last? Though 25K of motorways may explain the lack of brake use. It does stop well so I can't say it's been a problem but I am of the schooling that a disc change requires new pads so it came as a surprise.

Unfortunately my 2 now handles like a fish  s:( :( s:(  , but I don't want to go back to the same dealer, I'm that unimpressed, so I'm going to get a four wheel alignment done, at the dealer recommended by Hardcore I think. Hopefully this'll give me my sports car back.

I would say that if you don't think the dealer is giving you a fair hearing, go to another dealer - they do get paid by Toyota for warranty work so they aren't doing you something for nothing.

I would also argue that rusting of the brake hub is a structural deterioration, not merely cosmetic - and that your extended warranty was sold to you as being as comprehensive as the original warranty under which they would be replaced. Just badger them, it should work - they don't want you spending your spare time standing in the showroom with anger in your eyes  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

Blimey, I have waffled haven't I  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
2001 Black Manual Soft-top

Anonymous

Can someone  post some pictures of the rusty discs?

Ta

Anonymous

I will if someone doesn't beat me to it.  Mine have gotten very nasty and started to peel, i'm also getting judder under strong braking.

Anonymous

Hi,

I've noticed some rust forming in various places:

- Wheel/brake hubs (rust starting in places).

- Power-steering shaft connector/link (it really stands out as it is totally rusty) (You will need to remove that plastic cover under the bonnet to see it.

- A couple of engine shafts/pullies (again quite obvious).

My Toyota dealer (E. Frey) isn't exactly very helpful. They claim that as the main Toyota dealer in Switzerland, they basically decide what makes a valid warranty claim or not (in Switzerland anyway).

They claim that Toyota is unaware of any corrosion problems to the hubs, power-steering unit or any other parts of the MR2 that would grant a warranty repair/replacement. They also claim (in the name of Toyota) that it is totally normal for the hubs and brake callipers to have surface corrosion.  Hmmmm, what can I say??

I would be very interested in seeing photographs of rusting hubs to see the extent of the rust and how it compares to the state of my hubs.

John H.

Tem

Quote from: "victor"Can someone  post some pictures of the rusty discs?

Anyone..? I'm interested as well...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

I will try to get some pics.

Some background on mine.  New 03 model purchased in January, only done 3500 miles, and garaged overnight.  Already rusty!..its been out in the rain 3 times!!!!

Disgusting!.  Mr T says they will get them sorted, but again refuse to discuss painting the calipers which also look disgusting.

Anonymous

I'll do it a little later today, as mentioned my look terrible and i'm not that happy about it.

EDIT - Pics

Anonymous

That is terrible. When MRT say its cosmetic, can you not argue that over time, the rust will weaken the disc's and the pressure of the pads during a hard breaking could cause them to break, therefore its a safety thing????

It look a bit like the disc is cracking in one of those pictures.

Anonymous

Ive seen hubs rusty, but that is nasty!!!!!!

Anonymous

Quote from: "victor"That is terrible. When MRT say its cosmetic, can you not argue that over time, the rust will weaken the disc's and the pressure of the pads during a hard breaking could cause them to break, therefore its a safety thing????

It look a bit like the disc is cracking in one of those pictures.

Metal left outside in the rain is going to rust, but braking in mine is just starting to get stupid.  They better fix it, I have a secret weapon.

dancarbon

The problem is they are only interested in replacing them if the rust is on the hub, the part between the disc and the wheel.

Your discs look pretty grim though    s:( :( s:(

Tem

Mine look pretty much the same...the hub is rusty as well...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

dancarbon

Does this happen to non-Toyota discs too?

Has anyone changed them to another manufacturer or are we all resting on our warranties?

Anonymous

Quote from: "dancarbon"Does this happen to non-Toyota discs too?

Has anyone changed them to another manufacturer or are we all resting on our warranties?

My dad's had two Nissan Primeras with internally vented front discs (like ours are all round), and neither went rusty like that.  The first of the two cars was 4 years old when he sold it.  All have been kept outside.

They just shouldn't do that... as someone's mentioned, eventually they'll rust away and fail.

Anonymous

Quote from: "dancarbon"Does this happen to non-Toyota discs too?

Ive had Black Diamond discs in the past and although they were not as bad as that, they did start to rust around the same area.

Anonymous

Well most discs rust in a very short time.  Remember that even thought they are painted they are hot and near the ground so they get road rash.

I would not worry about it too much.  If dealers here would begin to change rusty discs noone would replace them from wear and tear.

I just took mine off and painted them with antirust silver paint and they look cool now   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

I had my front discs replaced two weeks after the Toyota warranty ran out, because I reported it in my last service (which I cunningly booked before the end of the warranty).

The upshot was that Toyota wouldn't pay for the pads, and I didn't want to, but they replaced the discs no problem.  In the end they said the pads were fine (only 16500 miles done anyway) and put them back on.  No discernible braking differences, so I'm happy.

This was at Benfield Toyota, Wakefield.

About a year ago I bought the red caliper paint from halfords.  It took a few hours of careful painting and a bit of patience, but the calipers look great.  

Cheers,
Kevin.

Anonymous

So, I have just got my car back from McCarthy's in Croydon after it's first service. Okay, so I've only got 5200 on the clock, but it's been a year, and I'm not sure I trust non-Fully-Synth oils...

Anyway, the chap who runs the place somes out and says - "As part of our routine inspection, we've noticed that the brake discs are unusually corroded in places. Anyway, since the car is less than a year old, we're going to have to ask you to come back for a complete new set of discs, pads and calipers. Obviously this will be done totally under warrently sir. I'm just sorry about the inconvenience."

Well, bugger me. Not only did THEY bring it to my attention, they offered to do the work under warranty before I get a word in edgeways. And then they apologise for the inconvenience! Lets just say that I was pleasently surprised. I'm guessing from the stories on here that not everyone has been this understanding... Do you think I can get them to paint the new calipers before they put them on  s:-D :-D s:-D

Serious question though, do you think the rusty discs are going to cause me problems at Donnington on Sunday?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ender"So, I have just got my car back from McCarthy's in Croydon after it's first service. Okay, so I've only got 5200 on the clock, but it's been a year, and I'm not sure I trust non-Fully-Synth oils...

Anyway, the chap who runs the place somes out and says - "As part of our routine inspection, we've noticed that the brake discs are unusually corroded in places. Anyway, since the car is less than a year old, we're going to have to ask you to come back for a complete new set of discs, pads and calipers. Obviously this will be done totally under warrently sir. I'm just sorry about the inconvenience."

Well, bugger me. Not only did THEY bring it to my attention, they offered to do the work under warranty before I get a word in edgeways. And then they apologise for the inconvenience! Lets just say that I was pleasently surprised. I'm guessing from the stories on here that not everyone has been this understanding... Do you think I can get them to paint the new calipers before they put them on  s:-D :-D s:-D

Serious question though, do you think the rusty discs are going to cause me problems at Donnington on Sunday?

Na mine have only just started to give me any problems, I doubt even now i'd have trouble on track my problem is I see it getting worse and dangerous.

Anonymous

Just to add my experience with rusty disks....Had my 2 since 14 months old..disks were corroded at this point - mainly light around the hub i seem to remember...calipers were shabby aswell. Since i've been following other peoples stories with disks on this site, i decided to report the "fault" when booking in for the 30k service. Personally, apart from the unsightly appearance of rust, i've never thought my brakes to be anything but 100% reliable.

I've just had the 30k service done today, after nigh on 3 years (end of warranty imminent!) and had ALL WHEELS, ALL DISKS and FRONT PADS replaced under warranty. They were unsure about replacing the pads under warranty, since if they were low every one would use this as a way of justifying pads without paying out when they should! They said that they have to send a report to Mr T showing pad thickness etc when doing warranty work. Any how the upshot is they have replaced my FRONT pads, refaced the Rears , but are claiming REARS from Mr T since the fronts were getting low!

I consider this a very reasonable result all round   s:D :D s:D  . Thanks to c_a_r_t_e_r for his ammunition with his warranty work. I'ld advise as a matter of course anyone approaching end of warranty to go to a listening dealer and get the disk/pads/wheels replaced as much as they can. I'm now as of today on my THIRD set of wheels, and i don't think they'll last the winter without bubbling up.

The dealer by the way was RRG Bury (North Manchester) - generally a good dealership (Norman is the warranty man there, put up no protest over the wheels)

Cheers

dancarbon

Quote from: "leedsCodger"About a year ago I bought the red caliper paint from halfords.  It took a few hours of careful painting and a bit of patience, but the calipers look great.

Coincidentaly, I was looking at the caliper paint today - expensive stuff isn't it. Unfortunately I wanted Silver or Black but they only had red, yellow and blue. I'll have to shop around.

Oh, and welcome to the club, nice to get another local 2 in here   s:) :) s:)

Liz

Mine goes in for the 30k service tomorrow - already had an argument with the bloke in service over the phone about the pads and who is going to pay for them.  Just hope that the nice lady is in service tomorrow, she is really into cars and I get on well with her and she said that I could have new pads for nothing as they were doing the disks, but we shall see!!

I will ask to see the pads, like I know what I am looking at   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:   if they dispute over paying for them.  But there again, should I expect to replace pads at 30k service in anycase???
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Slacey

Quote from: "Liz"But there again, should I expect to replace pads at 30k service in anycase???
I personally think that if you just do street driving (and not to maniacal!) they should have plenty of meat left and be OK, but if you can blag a free new set, then go for it!
They didn't replace mine when my disc's were done...   s:( :( s:(
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

I would not expect them to replace the discs as i would have thought they would be wear and tare, but they do so you never know. i would be surprised if they did replace them though.. i used to get through pads on my old car every 10K! (but that was with drilled/grooved discs!)

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"I would not expect them to replace the discs as i would have thought they would be wear and tare, but they do so you never know. i would be surprised if they did replace them though.. i used to get through pads on my old car every 10K! (but that was with drilled/grooved discs!)

To be honest, drilled and groved discs really seem to kill pads on road cars.  I love the way Max Power gets all excited about them, the drilling and groving is to save weight and really dosnt do much else as strange as that sounds.

30k with hard driving should still leave you with plenty of pad left on our stoppers.

Tags: