Cleaned your MAF lately?

Started by Slacey, September 28, 2003, 14:05

Slacey

Because I just have, the MAF (Mass Air Flow) senors were BLACK, I'm surprised they even worked!
Quick spray with some carb cleaner (removed the rubber seal first) and they are gleaming, and hopefully a lot more efficient again.
Does anybody know if Toyota ever check this as part of a service? Wouldn't surprise me if they didn't....   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Hi Sean,

If you would kindly enlighten me where the MAF is I will take a butchers and make sure it's sparkling clean/super efficient prior to a dyno check this week (providing H&S are ready for me by Saturday). What else does a similar job to carb cleaner?

Regards
  s:D :D s:D

Slacey

Roger, see http://www.spydermagazine.com/2002/March/maf_clean/maf_clean.htm, if you are going for a dyno run it is well worth doing, as is resetting the ECU after the exhaust is installed (this may be done by H&S anyway, if they disconnect the battery for the install).
As far as I know, carb cleaner is the only thing recommended to use as a cleaner; I bought a new can today from Halfords.

Anonymous

Hey slacey, thanks for the info, really handy. How often are you supposed to clean the MAF.   s:? :? s:?

Slacey

Quote from: "cartell"Hey slacey, thanks for the info, really handy. How often are you supposed to clean the MAF.   s:? :? s:?
No problem, I'd recommend every 12 months with the standard airbox, every 6 months or so if you are running an induction kit (as I am).
At the end of the day, as long as you are careful, regular cleaning won't damage the sensor wires, so as often as you feel necessary.

Anonymous

it says use a carb cleaner Sean so what do you use ?????

Slacey

Quote from: "Buster"it says use a carb cleaner Sean so what do you use ?????
Errrr.. carb cleaner? That's what it said in my first post   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

boom boom !   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

what make do you use???

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey"As far as I know, carb cleaner is the only thing recommended to use as a cleaner; I bought a new can today from Halfords.

come on buster - get with it mate!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

oh   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:   sorry guys im a bit spaced out today finished my summer holidays now so it's the first day back at uni and i havent quite got my head screwed on properly yet

just help me out guys LOL   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

DOH!

Slacey

Hold on, I'll have a look.....
It's Wynns 'Fuel Injection Intake & Carb Cleaner', it was the only carb cleaner I could find in Halfords, was £4.49 for a large can.

As a follow up, I cleaned the MAF and reset the ECU at the same time; bloody hell, it feels like a new car today!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
Idles perfectly, and throttle response is now much improved. It's amazing what a difference such minor maintenance can make. Only pain was having to set up my H/U again   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

resetting the ECU!!!! just disconect the positive from the battery YEAH ?????

do you just spray it on ???? and it evapotaes off!

Tem

When I was looking for carb cleaner, I noticed some cans said "Do not use for cleaning AFM/MAF" or something alike...I think it's worth reading the labels. No idea what they would do, if anything, but there must be a reason for those texts.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Slacey

Quote from: "Buster"resetting the ECU!!!! just disconect the positive from the battery YEAH ?????
Yep, that's exactly what I did, leave for 20 minutes or so and then reconnect.

Quote from: "Buster"do you just spray it on ???? and it evapotaes off!
Again, yes - but remember to remove the rubber 'O' ring first, and don't put it back until all of the cleaner has evaporated.

Quote from: "Tem"When I was looking for carb cleaner, I noticed some cans said "Do not use for cleaning AFM/MAF" or something alike...I think it's worth reading the labels. No idea what they would do, if anything, but there must be a reason for those texts.
I too remember seeing this before, but the can of Wynn's I bought had no such warning, I did check as well!

Anonymous

Hey all,

I plan on cleaning mine this weekend....already downloaded/printed the directions by iMR2 (on SpyderMagazine.com).  I probably won't reset my ECU because the last time I had to disconnect the battery for an extended amount of time, it locked up the security connection on my Eclipse stereo face and had to drive it without the use of my radio/CD/DVD player for a few weeks until I could drive it to the stereo dealer....doh!!!

Hope I see some difference after cleaning!

Later!

Anonymous

Slacey

I think the point that Buster was tryingto make (or maybe it was an attempt at a joke  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  ) was that you described it as carb cleaner. That confused him, no doubt  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  In a later post the can description included "injector". I'll pop to the local Max Muppet store and pick some up. The sensor on my car doesn't look too dirty.

s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

arh see now im confussed agian   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  lol

Anonymous

slacey

Bought a can of Wynns yesterday. There's enough at £4.49 to last 20 years  s:!: :!: s:!:  Extracted the unit again at lunch-time, remembering to take off the o-ring. I left it until last night to test any difference. All I can say is:-

BLOODY HELL  s:!: :!: s:!:    s:!: :!: s:!:    s:!: :!: s:!:    s:!: :!: s:!:    s:!: :!: s:!:    s:!: :!: s:!:  

A quick blat down our local dual-carriageway produced 90mph in third at 6000 revs. I couldn't really push it in 4th or 5th because of other cars. Perhaps I ought to think again about track or airfield days.

Thanks once again for the tip, it certainly is worthwhile keeping a regular check on the MAF's condition.

Regards

Slacey

Glad to see it wasn't just my imagination then!!    s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Quote from: "Roger H"A quick blat down our local dual-carriageway produced 90mph in third at 6000 revs.

Deja Vu.  Speed and Revs are linked via a constant ratio.  Cleanliness of your MAF, type of fuel used and other things like that won't change what speed you get for a certain revs.

So, did you get better acceleration Roger?

Slacey

The only thing I really noticed with mine was the incredible improvement of the throttle response, and it did seem to pull harder.

Anonymous

phil4

Yes, better acceleration. Just as slacey described.

Clean MAF, K&N filter pad, Optimax and cooler air. Anything else and the car will be airborne  s:!: :!: s:!:    s:!: :!: s:!:  

Regards

markiii

you won't want that exhaust then  :-) :-) :-)

Off topic but are you going down there on Saturday?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Slacey

According to his sig he is...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tags: