Cleaned your MAF lately?

Started by Slacey, September 28, 2003, 14:05

Anonymous

markiii

Back at the office for a few minutes.
Of course I still want it  s:!: :!: s:!:    s:!: :!: s:!:   I've been waiting sodding months for the GB to get to this stage  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   Full tank of Optimax and raring to go  s:!: :!: s:!:  

I've just had the pre-exhaust-fit dyno run done at Bromsgrove. I haven't seen all the data in print-out form yet but the bhp at the fly-wheel exceeds the official figures. After the re-run tomorrow all the data will emailed to me, so watch this space  s:!: :!: s:!:    s:!: :!: s:!:    s:!: :!: s:!:    s:!: :!: s:!:  

Just for pulling my plonker I'll have 2 more windscreen stickers please.

Regards
  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

Darth Paul

I've noticed that when pulling away the throttle response has been getting more and more sluggish – sort of like a turbo kicking in, but not good. Very frustrating when you want to get away as quickly as possible.

Could this be because the MAF is dirty? Or something else?

I'll certainly give it a clean anyhow. How often do you Apexi Intake folks clean the filter. And how? IIRC is a lifetime filter.

Cheers Guys and Gals

DP

Slacey

Quote from: "Darth Paul"I've noticed that when pulling away the throttle response has been getting more and more sluggish – sort of like a turbo kicking in, but not good. Very frustrating when you want to get away as quickly as possible.

Could this be because the MAF is dirty? Or something else?
This is how mine was feeling; cleaning the MAF cured the problem - the car feels like it has just had a full service!

Quote from: "Darth Paul"I'll certainly give it a clean anyhow. How often do you Apexi Intake folks clean the filter. And how? IIRC is a lifetime filter.
We had a discussion on this last week, no-one really seems to know what to do - I am going to order another filter (if I can find out the right bleedin' dimension to order) and then have a go at cleaning the old one - if it works then great, if not at least I have a spare to fit.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

mph

Quote from: "Darth Paul"I've noticed that when pulling away the throttle response has been getting more and more sluggish – sort of like a turbo kicking in, but not good.
Sluggish is not a word I'd normally associate with my turbo kicking-in car   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:     s:) :) s:)
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Anonymous

If the apexi is anything like the K&N 57i kit then they are easy as pie to clean. Take it off, give it a wash from inside out (so the dirt does not get pushed into the filter), let it try, re-oil and slap it back on.

I did my K&N about once a year.

Slacey

One thing I am certain of Kris, and that is that the Apexi is NOT an oiled filter, it's dry. The cleaning I will attempt will be a 'bath' in mildly soaped water, thorough rinse and leave to dry completely.
Assuming of course I can get a new one!   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Darth Paul

Quote from: "mph"
Quote from: "Darth Paul"I've noticed that when pulling away the throttle response has been getting more and more sluggish – sort of like a turbo kicking in, but not good.
Sluggish is not a word I'd normally associate with my turbo kicking-in car   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:     s:) :) s:)

That's why I said "but not good".  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

DP

Darth Paul

Right, over lunch I nipped to Halfords and bought the cleaner. Took the MAF off and yes, by gum, it WAS dirty. VERY dirty. The sensors were COATED in crud.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:? :? s:?  

Cleaned it, put it back in and removed the positive terminal from the battery to re-set the ECU.

Now all I have to do is wait 'till 5:30 to see if it's made any difference...

DP

Slacey

Quote from: "Darth Paul"Now all I have to do is wait 'till 5:30 to see if it's made any difference...
Oh trust me DP, it WILL have made a difference!!   s:D :D s:D

markiii

yep, the car will have vanished since without the battery connected the alram isn't working  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Oh. I didn't know to re-set the ECU, but still got a big improvement.

s:D :D s:D

Darth Paul

Quote from: "markiii"yep, the car will have vanished since without the battery connected the alram isn't working  :-) :-) :-)

Oh what wit.  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

DP

Anonymous

dont think i will re-set the ECU coz of my alram and audio ! so pleased to know it made an improvement with out resertting it   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Slacey

Quote from: "Buster"dont think i will re-set the ECU coz of my alram and audio ! so pleased to know it made an improvement with out resertting it   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
No, it's not essential, I did it just for the sake of it!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Peter Wright

This is for Buster
Bless his little heart

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae.

The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a
porbelm.

Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Fcuknig amzanig huh?

Pete   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

Slacey

Shame on you Pete, not checking on the forum enough, are you?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
This 'research' has been posted before!

Anonymous

see im a jenous realy   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

BLIMEY!!! I did this last night. I took out the MAF and had a look and it didn't actually look that dirty (with 15K on the clock, I would have expected worse). But I cleaned it with the Wynns stuff, left it to dry, diconnected the battery in the meantime and then refitted about 20mins later. Didn't take it out for a drive straight away though as it was getting on and there were a few things I had to do. But this morning........

CRIKEY! I AM impressed. Smoother running of the engine, nicer pickup....the car just seems more.....well.....sorted.

Will do again in 6 months and see what happens, but nice one Slacey. Good bit of advice that I would NEVER have thought of. Cheers buddy!!!  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Just outta interest... anyone still have the stock Sony HU?  Does that require a code when you disconnect the battery for 20mins?

Anonymous

Phil, I have the stock unit and it was the first thing I tried!

It did confuse me a little as it did refer to the default FM 87.5 setting but after pressing my preset buttons for the radio, they were all still there, so I haven't had to do any retuning or anything. Which I thought was quite impressive!

Slacey

Quote from: "John Woodward"Will do again in 6 months and see what happens, but nice one Slacey. Good bit of advice that I would NEVER have thought of. Cheers buddy!!!  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D
I'm certainly not the first to do this, but I'm pleased you got good results from doing it. I hope all these comments spur the rest of you on to check this small maintenance task!

Chris

ok, i've got the maf off, but how the bloody hell are you supposed to get anything down the tube to clean them with!!??  s:? :? s:?   Have i misread something and it unscrews where the rubber ring is?

or am i just supposed to spray stuff down there and wait for it to dry?
that would be my prefered option as they look a little thin and fragile to be messing with!!
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

You got it, don't touch in there just spray it and let it dry.

Regarding the gains you lot are feeling by cleaning the MAF i do think that the resetting of the ECU is contributing too.My car had been feeling a little hesitant on WOT but yesterday i was faced with a flat battery, this obviously reset the ECU, since i recharged it the car has felt amazing again, no hesitation at all.I appreciate that my e-manage is altering the ECU settings,so the ECU is trying to correct it more, but i for one will be resetting the ECU every month or so.

Anonymous

Yeah, I am sure you are right. I think it might be a combination of the two though. I did both, so can't comment too much on each separately as they are no longer mutually exclusive, but whatever reason, the running of the car DOES seem a lot more responsive.......

Who cares if you get the benefits anyway!!!  s:D :D s:D

Slacey

Well, whatever the combined effects, it shows a definate benefit - I'm going to clean and reset every 3 months or so now.

Tags: