Cleaned your MAF lately?

Started by Slacey, September 28, 2003, 14:05

Anonymous

Reckon that this might have some kinda long term detrimental effect? I am guessing not, but I was wondering what peoples opinion on this was? Interested, as I would like to go down the same route as Slacey on this one if the benefits are as good as they are.........

Anonymous

just gonna make sure with the installers that disconnecting the battery wont mean any grief for me with my alarm/immob , then doing it tomorrow, cant wait, mine's 2.5 yrs old, 34k, and I doubt it's had it done before. Not that there's anything wrong with the current performance as far as I know, but if it can be improved with 2 such simple tasks then hey, wahoo!! I'm excited like a kid at Xmas!

Comer

I'm keen to do it too as my MAF looked a bit dirty when I installed my Apexi.  

But I've an import with a (Toyota) Panasonic H/U and if I can't find my code then I could be stuffed if I disconnect the battery to reset the ECU.  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

Anonymous

Thats the thing, you don't really feel an performance drop as it's so gradual.But when you reset everthing and clean the MAF it's instantly back to how it was, so you feel an noticable improvement.

Comer just pull the ECU fuse instead of disconnecting the battery.

Slacey

Quote from: "Comer"But I've an import with a (Toyota) Panasonic H/U and if I can't find my code then I could be stuffed if I disconnect the battery to reset the ECU.  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
I had the same Panasinic single DIN in mine when delivered, it doesn't use a code system - the fact that the face is removable is it's security.
I removed it and sold it to a friend who put it in his Pug, works OK and no code required.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Slacey

Quote from: "John Woodward"Reckon that this might have some kinda long term detrimental effect? I am guessing not, but I was wondering what peoples opinion on this was? Interested, as I would like to go down the same route as Slacey on this one if the benefits are as good as they are.........
I reckon the only thing that could go wrong is that if you were clumsy, you could break one of the sensor wires, but then you shouldn't actually be touching them anyway. Oh, one other could be that if you don't remove the rubber 'O' ring, the rubber itself could degrade and break up if exposed to the carb cleaner.

Anonymous

Quote from: "mr-s_turbo"Comer just pull the ECU fuse instead of disconnecting the battery.

Cheers for this tip Turb, me being a complete ignoramus in these matters, will the fuse need to be left out for an amount time, like when disconnecting the battery?
And all this ECU caperings, is there any chance of doing any damage by messing with this?

Comer

Yeah thanks to the rapid info from MR2-Turbo and Sean I've got a little job for the morning  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Michael

Slacey

Right folks, may I suggest we all be really careful when we do this....
(It is easy though, don't let this put you off)
The cost of a replacement MAF from Toyota is £67.54 + VAT   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
Don't forget; DO NOT physically touch the wires with anything other than the cleaning spray.

Anonymous

Jesus!!! 65 quid? A bit of plastic and three wires? Christ, what a rip off......

Did remove the rubber ring, but I am worried that doing this repeatedly over time might have some effect on it. I hope not as it is not actually seated that tightly, but stretching it and pulling it over the lip may cause micro-tears in it, eventually leading to a much higher wear rate. Stil, the benefits seem worth it........  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

The ECU resets instantly the power is took away, but, unplug the fuse for atleast 30seconds is the best bet.No damage to the ECU can come from this at all.

As Slacey says take care, it is really easy though.

Slacey

Quote from: "John Woodward"Did remove the rubber ring, but I am worried that doing this repeatedly over time might have some effect on it.
I got the impression from my parts guy that the 'O' ring was a sepearte part, and I'm sure we are talking pennies for that!

Anonymous

Oh, well if that is the case then, every 3 months it is!!!  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Sean, you wanna bring your cleaner with you on the 18th and see if mine needs doing?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Quote from: "mr-s_turbo"The ECU resets instantly the power is took away, but, unplug the fuse for atleast 30seconds is the best bet

Cheers mate, that's what i wanted to hear!

Dont suppose you know which fusebox it's in do you?! this is sheer laziness on my part, and I'm guessing the one next the engine, but obviously it aint necessarily so

p.s. just bought the cleaner, have to have a few beers after work or's I won't be able to sleep tonight!

And I'm sure the difference is not that great but I've only had the car about 3 months, and it's 2.5 yrs old, so I'm thinking it'll be noticeable

Darth Paul

Quote from: "Stevo"
Quote from: "mr-s_turbo"The ECU resets instantly the power is took away, but, unplug the fuse for atleast 30seconds is the best bet

Cheers mate, that's what i wanted to hear!

Dont suppose you know which fusebox it's in do you?! this is sheer laziness on my part, and I'm guessing the one next the engine, but obviously it aint necessarily so

p.s. just bought the cleaner, have to have a few beers after work or's I won't be able to sleep tonight!

And I'm sure the difference is not that great but I've only had the car about 3 months, and it's 2.5 yrs old, so I'm thinking it'll be noticeable

I believe there's more than one fuse – check out the manual. So I decided the battery route was easiest.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

DP

Slacey

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"Sean, you wanna bring your cleaner with you on the 18th and see if mine needs doing?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:D :D s:D
Certainly! Just remind me nearer the time!

markiii

Since you guys will no doubt want to eat before driving all the way home and I expect your going to be passing me on your way back to the M1, anyone fancy a mini meet for dinner and a beer in the evening?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"Since you guys will no doubt want to eat before driving all the way home and I expect your going to be passing me on your way back to the M1, anyone fancy a mini meet for dinner and a beer in the evening?

Sounds good to me....   s:D :D s:D

Slacey

Sounds awfully good to me too!   s:D :D s:D

zud

Can anyone confirm that the stock Sony h/u (pre 2003) doesn't require a code? I can't see any mention of it.

Otherwise, anyone manage to locate the correct fuse for the ECU.  Again, I could RTFM myself, but if anyone knows....

Cheers.
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

Anonymous

Quote from: "zud"Otherwise, anyone manage to locate the correct fuse for the ECU.  

Job done, nice one, bit gutted that the MAF was spotless anyway, but took the ECU fuse (the fusebox next to the engine) out and replaced, will test later, well tomorrow now cos the Hammers and England are on so I'm out on the piss, yay!

One little thing, put the fuse and cleaned-MAF back in their places, put me screwdrivers away, go back to the car, put the key in, turned, NUFFINK!
Imagine my delight when i realised that the only prob was that my immobiliser had kicked in, Terence Fuckwit would've been proud!

Come on the England   s:D :D s:D

Comer

Guess which muppet put WD40 on the exhaust studs ready for the H&S fitting whilst cleaning the MAF and resetting the ECU?

Yep it was me.  So when I took off up the dual carriageway for a blast I wondered what the burning smell was.  When I got back home it was pretty clear that the car was smoking!!!
Michael

Anonymous

Hehehe... mines just done that... though I've not cleaned the MAF or reset the ECU.  Just sprayed WD40 on the studs, and got lots of smoke pouring off after.  Quite amusing.

Comer

I'm not the only one to do that then  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    On the MAF cleaning, mine was cleaner than I thought and the car's behaviour was unchanged apart from slightly higher rpm at idle.  But everyone's cars will have MAFs of differing condition so not everyone will notice a major difference.
Michael

Tags: