Cleaned your MAF lately?

Started by Slacey, September 28, 2003, 14:05

Anonymous

Mine seemed reasonably clean, I've not drive it yet, but the car started ok (quite important that one).  I pulled the battery for 20minutes, rather than the fuse, as there seemed to be many ECU fuses.

Anonymous

I cleaned my MAF last night reset the ECU and shook out the K&N still runs good but the idle speed has dropped by 100 rpm (-700rpm) seems ok just a bit lumpy at traffic lights.  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Slacey

Quote from: "petal_skipraider"I cleaned my MAF last night reset the ECU and shook out the K&N still runs good but the idle speed has dropped by 100 rpm (-700rpm) seems ok just a bit lumpy at traffic lights.  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Strange, my idle improved immensly after performing the clean / reset, it is now stable where before it would wander and sometimed nearly stall   s:? :? s:?
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

That is strange mne feels as if it could stall when breaking hard to a stop with the lights and radio on then it recovers to about 700 rpm where it used to be about 800 what dose yours idle at? I dont think theres anything wrong with it but i have noticed a difference?  s:? :? s:?

Slacey

Quote from: "petal_skipraider"That is strange mne feels as if it could stall when breaking hard to a stop with the lights and radio on then it recovers to about 700 rpm where it used to be about 800 what dose yours idle at? I dont think theres anything wrong with it but i have noticed a difference?  s:? :? s:?
Mine idles at around ~800rpm constantly, I'm running an Apexi which I thought may affect it, but doesn't seem to.

Anonymous

Haven't managed to get hold of some Wynns yet to do my MAF, but after reading some of the other posts in this thread, I decided to re-set the ECU anyway.  Didn't notice any performance issues before doing this, but response since certainly appears sharper ( I don't think it's just wishful thinking ). Can't quantify / qualify that exactly but, as someone else said, it just seems more "sorted".

I have a couple of questions relating to this that I hope someone might help me with ( afraid I'm a mechanical numpty ).

Right at the start of this thread, it was suggested to Roger that he would benefit from resetting the ECU after his H&S exhaust fit. I doubt very much whether this was done when my TTE was installed. Would the fact I've now done this ( 5 months after install ) have made any difference ?

What does the act of resetting the ECU force the car "management" to do that provides such benefits ?
I've tried searching the forum but can't find anything that actually explains what happens ?

Sorry if these questions are dumb, but I would really appreciate it if any of you have any thoughts ( even if it's to tell me not to be so bloody stupid !! ).

Ally.

Anonymous

Quote from: "AllyY"What does the act of resetting the ECU force the car "management" to do that provides such benefits ?
I've tried searching the forum but can't find anything that actually explains what happens ?

I'm probably wrong here but:

AFAIK the ECU contains some mapping data to do with fuel usage, o2 levels, temperatures etc.  The map tells it how much fuel to pump into the engine under a given circumstance.  The map itself is built-up/modified when the car is running, so if you change fuels or the car degrades the ECU is still doing it's best to give you an efficient engine.

The idea is that reseting the ECU resets all those maps and forces the ECU to build a fresh new set.  Having changed something, like cleaing the MAF, adding an Apexi air intake or changing the exhaust reseting the ECU will build a map which isn't polluted with data from the old engine setup.

I think.  Maybe.

Slacey

Good explanation Phil - resetting the ECU forces it back to stock and into 'learn' mode, so you will the optimal map settings for your car. I'm not entirely sure it stops learning, but for the increase in driveability I got after my reset (TTE, Apexi, clean MAF) I would think that it only really learns for a period then adjusts on a minor scale for fuel and atmosphere differences.

Tem

Quote from: "phil4"The map itself is built-up/modified when the car is running, so if you change fuels or the car degrades the ECU is still doing it's best to give you an efficient engine.

Slightly offtopic, but does this also mean that the ECU will learn "for better", if you keep using higher octane fuel?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Slacey

Quote from: "Tem"Slightly offtopic, but does this also mean that the ECU will learn "for better", if you keep using higher octane fuel?
TBH Tem, there has been a lot of debate about using higher octane fuel in the '2, I do personally and have had no problems, but theoretically yes, if you run high octane and reset the ECU, then continue to use high octane, it should optimise the engine for that fuel.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"Slightly offtopic, but does this also mean that the ECU will learn "for better", if you keep using higher octane fuel?

Like Slacey, I'd have thought so.

mph

Quote from: "Slacey"
TBH Tem, there has been a lot of debate about using higher octane fuel in the '2, I do personally and have had no problems, but theoretically yes, if you run high octane and reset the ECU, then continue to use high octane, it should optimise the engine for that fuel.
In theory that should be true, but it's not, or at least, not enough to be significant. Looking at the tuning maps I used for the Unichip proved that.

The stock maps do vary but are so conservative that will make no practical difference but just changing the fuel in the UK environment, IMO.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Tem

I was just wondering, since...well, check the dyno from 100% stock engine:
 m http://koti.mbnet.fi/temmeke/tmp/dyno.jpg m

Always used only 98-octane...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Thanks for the explanations guys. The grey fog of ignorance has lifted....slightly !!    s:) :) s:)  

Ally.

Anonymous

To resurrect an old topic as I've been using the SEARCH button....

To reset the ECU it seems to me it's going to be easier to just remove the fuse  s:? :? s:?

But which fuse  s:?: :?: s:?:  

Looking in the owners manual p264, is it fuse No 34 (ECU-B1 25A: ECU-B and DOME fuses) in the engine compartment   s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:

Anonymous

I think there's 2 in the engine bay, and one in the frunk (although I could be wrong, and I never managed to reset mine that way. Just disconnect the battery instead).

kanujunkie

your right Dan, theres several fuses, i've already counted 5 in the diagrams, quicker to disconnect 1 bolt for 15mins
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

MAF cleaned and ECU reset. Just ready for roadtest tomorrow to see what difference....  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

I think I will be doing this every 6 months now.

The idle at 800rpm is as smooth as silk, previously is was a little lumpy.

However the acceleration appears to be so much better than before.  s8) 8) s8)  

The only other item I noticed is that my TTE exhaust seems quieter. Normally if your are travelling and just touch the accelerator then you hear a roar this has somehow softened, is this possible just by cleaning your MAF and resetting your ECU  s:?: :?: s:?:

Liz

Are you being chipped today David?  Let us know how it goes, you have the printout of my Dyno to compare, be interested to see how yours does.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Liz"Are you being chipped today David?  Let us know how it goes, you have the printout of my Dyno to compare, be interested to see how yours does.

Liz

Yes I was supposed to being chipped today, but slight technical hitch with Aldon....... so delayed a little  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:( :( s:(

Gazz

Had my 2 from new for about 18 months and lately its been feeling a little  sluggish. After reading this thread I thought I might as well try cleaning my MAF, it can't do any harm.

What a difference !!

The throttle is so much more responsive and the idle time is tons better. This is definitely a job I'll be doing every 3 months.

Can't wait for Friday now - TTe springs & TTE exhaust gets fitted. Woohoo
[size=80]Lotus Elise 111R, Larini Sports Exhaust [/size]

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Gazz"Can't wait for Friday now - TTE springs & TTE exhaust gets fitted. Woohoo

good choice of next mods  s:D :D s:D  

for your next one after you may want to consider the TRD front strut brace(Tower Bar) followed by the TTE sway bar
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Gazz

Next one, who said there was going to be a next one   s:!: :!: s:!:  

I'll bare that in mind Kanu, this could get expensive   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=80]Lotus Elise 111R, Larini Sports Exhaust [/size]

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Gazz"Next one, who said there was going to be a next one   s:!: :!: s:!:  

I'll bare that in mind Kanu, this could get expensive   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

come into the fold, it'll be alright, QUICK NURSE GB STAT!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Tags: