I have a EVIL sound, my engine is going to blow!

Started by Anonymous, September 30, 2003, 17:10

Anonymous

At about 3.5 - 4k revs my engine is making a sound like a saw cutting metal.  No power loss, no nothing, just a horrid horrid sound.

Slacey

Sounds like the infamous self-destructing engine....   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

could it be somthing to do with the exhaust as it looked low so you may of cougth it on somthing and now it vibrating against somthing!

worth looking into me thinks   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Buster"could it be somthing to do with the exhaust as it looked low so you may of cougth it on somthing and now it vibrating against somthing!

nope, nothing is out of place, nothing is rubbing, everything looks how it should be, oil is fine.  I've never heard a noise like it.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Buster"could it be somthing to do with the exhaust as it looked low so you may of cougth it on somthing and now it vibrating against somthing!

Oh man, I really enjoy reading your posts.    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

does it make the noise when the cars stood and rev'd or just when it's moving?

Anonymous

Quote from: "mr-s_turbo"does it make the noise when the cars stood and rev'd or just when it's moving?

Can't really hear it stood still, but if its in gear it makes the noise.

Anonymous

So it could be gearbox/clutch related maybe or is it really hard to pin point where the noise is coming from? Any smoke?

Anonymous

Quote from: "mr-s_turbo"So it could be gearbox/clutch related maybe or is it really hard to pin point where the noise is coming from? Any smoke?

No smoke, no nothing, just the noise.  Strange as hell.  Its coming from the rear passanger side of the car.

Anonymous

Thats where the gearbox is (as i know you already know) so i'd put my money on it being the problem, or something around there. No oil loss or discolouration, no water loss and no smoke and the noise isn't there when you rev it stationary.Your engine sounds better than most of ours  s:D :D s:D  . Hope you sort it and it's not too bad. Who knows you may need a 6speed transplant!

Anonymous

Quote from: "mr-s_turbo"Thats where the gearbox is (as i know you already know) so i'd put my money on it being the problem, or something around there. No oil loss or discolouration, no water loss and no smoke and the noise isn't there when you rev it stationary.Your engine sounds better than most of ours  s:D :D s:D  . Hope you sort it and it's not too bad. Who knows you may need a 6speed transplant!

ah it would seem it is doing it out of gear.

mph

Quote from: "WoodenDummy"At about 3.5 - 4k revs my engine is making a sound like a saw cutting metal.  No power loss, no nothing, just a horrid horrid sound.
Oooh, I something like that, though I doubt it's exactly what you've got... My exhaust manifold cracked not so long ago, with the effect that the turbo came away from it   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   - made an awful metalic sound, I thought I'd destroyed a valve or something at the time.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "mph"
Quote from: "WoodenDummy"At about 3.5 - 4k revs my engine is making a sound like a saw cutting metal.  No power loss, no nothing, just a horrid horrid sound.
Oooh, I something like that, though I doubt it's exactly what you've got... My exhaust manifold cracked not so long ago, with the effect that the turbo came away from it   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   - made an awful metalic sound, I thought I'd destroyed a valve or something at the time.

hmm deserves another look me thinks...  *wonders out into the cold alone.

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "Slacey"Sounds like the infamous self-destructing engine....   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Nice one Sean!!! Putting the fear that his engine is about to blow on him   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

I managed to resist saying that this sounds like the same sound I have had three times, which was followed by oil smoke (a fair few miles later), which was then followed by three rebuilds!!!

s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  Oops  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

And I didn't want to say that so long as it isn't an intermittant metallic rattle (more than a griding sound), and as long as it doesn't happen when you accelerate or decelerate then I doubt it is the engine problem.

s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  Oops  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Seriously though this sounds like the same problem I suffered with. IMHO contact Toyota GB immediately and take your car off the road. The engine could let go and burn nearly all the oil in a few seconds and the last thing you want to do is blind the driver behind with oil smoke, especially if it is a copper!!!

Slacey

Quote from: "Peter Laborne"
Quote from: "Slacey"Sounds like the infamous self-destructing engine....   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Nice one Sean!!! Putting the fear that his engine is about to blow on him
Hey, you can always rely on me to ruin someones day!!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey"Hey, you can always rely on me to ruin someones day!!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Oh great, you saying that has ruined my day!!! Thanks   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Slacey

Quote from: "mr-s_turbo"
Quote from: "Slacey"Hey, you can always rely on me to ruin someones day!!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Oh great, you saying that has ruined my day!!! Thanks   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
My pleasure!   s:D :D s:D

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "mr-s_turbo"Oh great, you saying that has ruined my day!!! Thanks   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

And it's now reminded me of my problems   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

Thanks Sean!!!

Slacey

I'm on a roll today!!!   s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

WD hope your day isn't ruined, have you any good news, or bad news about your car?

Anonymous

Quote from: "mr-s_turbo"WD hope your day isn't ruined, have you any good news, or bad news about your car?

Toyota have no idea what it is.  "Ri....ght" said I.

Anonymous

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
And i'm sure you walked away suprised by their response.Well you tried,what's your next plan of action?

Anonymous

Quote from: "mr-s_turbo":lol:
And i'm sure you walked away suprised by their response.Well you tried,what's your next plan of action?

Need to go back to my roots and get under it properly myself and see what I can find.  Could be my Tannabe RM exhaust, who knows (not Toyota it would seem   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:   )

Anonymous

I know what you mean mate.I was a YTS mechanic when i was 16 (15years ago!!)for 5years i carried it on, loved getting my hands dirty then. Now with these "modern" engine cars you assume you can just forget it and they'll be OK or if they do go wrong the 'plug them into a computer and it'll diagnose it' theory is there. Just goes to show that the knowledge that you've got becomes invaluable still.Hope you have just got a screw loose or something!!!!and it isn't the end of your '2s engines life.Let us all know.

GSB

Quote from: "mr-s_turbo"Hope you have just got a screw loose or something!!!!

A fair assumption for most of us here I think!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Tags: