I have a EVIL sound, my engine is going to blow!

Started by Anonymous, September 30, 2003, 17:10

Tem

Quote from: "mph"My exhaust manifold cracked not so long ago, with the effect that the turbo came away from it   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   - made an awful metalic sound, I thought I'd destroyed a valve or something at the time.

...looks like I just got this one  s:? :? s:?

Did yours make the sound all the time...? Mine just appeared and seems to be strongest around 2000-3000rpm under load. Can barely hear it without load, but it's still there...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Jap GT300

It could be some of the honey comb from the precat has disintergrated and got caught in the main cat or the main cat into the muffler but they usually get chucked out if that happens (especially if you've got an after market exhaust - no breaks in the pipe)

Take the main cat off and shake it, see if anything comes out!

Adam

mph

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "mph"My exhaust manifold cracked not so long ago, with the effect that the turbo came away from it   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   - made an awful metalic sound, I thought I'd destroyed a valve or something at the time.

...looks like I just got this one  s:? :? s:?

Did yours make the sound all the time...? Mine just appeared and seems to be strongest around 2000-3000rpm under load. Can barely hear it without load, but it's still there...
Oh, mine was obvious at idle, though I suppose a fracture would be less so.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Tem

I did the regular checks (I can't believe I just said regular)...checked oil level, sniffed for smoke, checked the pipe for lil white thingies...nothing. And no loss of power as fas as I can tell...kinda didn't feel like flooring it  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

WD

Did you ever find out what the problem was?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Lee"WD

Did you ever find out what the problem was?

Something isn't right with it.  I'm not sure what but i'm getting there.  I'm worried its the cats so i'm going to take the O" sensors of and check, but as of Tuesday I have a 6 month ban for doing 37 in a 30.  Yes folks you heard it here first, the world has gone mad.

Tem

Quote from: "WoodenDummy"I have a 6 month ban for doing 37 in a 30

WTF??

Did you kill a granny or what?  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Slacey

Quote from: "WoodenDummy"....as of Tuesday I have a 6 month ban for doing 37 in a 30.  Yes folks you heard it here first, the world has gone mad.
Jesus - I'm not defending you speeding, but that is extremely harsh. Did you have any previous convictions?
My condolances, mate.   s:( :( s:(
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

I thought that was just a 3 point jobbie and a slap on the wrist (or wallet!)?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "WoodenDummy"I have a 6 month ban for doing 37 in a 30

WTF??

Did you kill a granny or what?  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Nope.  I admitly have points on my licence but the last set would be 3 years old a week from now.

The Magistarate was so rude, she said I was a danger to the public and that she couldnt believe I couldnt keep my speed under control in such a short amount of time sinse the last (3 YEARS ago, and I do about 600miles a week)!

People who left the court said they couldnt believe she had done it, and that she had been in a bad mood all day.

Anonymous

I was doing 37 in a 30 at 9pm on a main road because my sister had a flat and I was trying to get to her.  2 weeks before this I had been pulled over on the same road for doing around 27/28 for driving "suspiciously slow"!

The Magistrate smiled and shook her head when my Solicitor said this!

I'm not a cry baby, but I feel very hard done to over this, its taught me nothing other than to hate the system.  I have been very careful sense my last set of points and i'm not perfect but in 3 years i've not had any kinda speeding offense it just feels like I can't win.

I was told that last week a kid in a baseball cap, and track bottems got a month for doing 90 in a 50!

Anonymous

That's just stupid.  Is there any room for you to appeal?  Perhaps even sue the magistrate afterwards?

Anonymous

Quote from: "phil4"That's just stupid.  Is there any room for you to appeal?  Perhaps even sue the magistrate afterwards?

If I did by the time I got anywhere i'd be well into my ban and my job will be gone.  I need my car for work.

I'm not getting stressed, its not in my character, but I am a little annoyed.

GSB

I think its an experience that most drivers have to go through, despite hearing advise from everyone else saying, dont go there...

Basically if you get into the Magistrates court, prepare to bent over, lubed up and thoroughly shafted. The Magistrates are nearly always unqualified local people with a highly elevated sense of self importance, and no common sense. and they'll always double up the penalty just for wasting their time.

I had a case a few years ago, when pulling out of a junction, I didnt have clear line of sight up the road, and while gradually edging out to see if it was clear, A woman in a Corsa wiped my nose for me. Nothing serious, minor panel damage only. We were sorting it all out amongst ourselves when the coppers turned up to the party. Anyway they reported me for driving without due care and attention, as was thier general policy at the time, so I duly contested it and had my day in court. Now I could have just taken the 3 points and £40 fine, but I wasn't driving without due care as I'd taken reasonable steps to see if the road was clear. The Clerk of the Court agreed with me and advised the magistrates to dismiss the case. (In a magistrates court, the clerk is usually a qualified barrister, and advises the magistrates on finer points of law and applicable penalties - obviously without him to riegn the self-riotious pricks in theyd still be hanging people for stealing bread.)

Net Result? I was a menace to the public. 5 points (taking me to a grand total of 11!) and £300 fine...

My advise to you? Go for the fixed penalty every time... You wont take this advise, but after your day in court you'll be giving it out the same as I am now.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "GSB"(In a magistrates court, the clerk is usually a qualified barrister, and advises the magistrates on finer points of law and applicable penalties - obviously without him to riegn the self-riotious pricks in theyd still be hanging people for stealing bread.)

100% what happened here.  He said that she should judge me on 37 in a 30 and not on my other points and that I shouldn't get a ban.  I SAW him pull a face when she said "I was a danger to the public and that she couldn't believe I couldn't keep my speed under control in such a short amount of time since the last time"

Anonymous

s:x :x s:x  The judicial system in this country, especially magistrate courts, are a complete and utter farse. I won't go into my numerous times i have been infront of them, but it is and always will be a no win situation.As has been said they're just gloryfied shopkeepers and teachers with a power crazed glint in their eyes never listening to the court usher who knows the law and advising them accordingly. This is a very sore subject for me and i feel for you WD so much, not that this will help.  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Suppose any engine work you are going to do like head work etc, this is a good time to do it while the '2s...er... resting.

Anonymous

Quote from: "mr-s_turbo"Suppose any engine work you are going to do like head work etc, this is a good time to do it while the '2s...er... resting.

Right now, yes.  It will happen but my insurance is set to go up by about a grand so i'm waiting till next year after my ban.

Tags: