'Square' steering when cold.

Started by SimonC_Here, April 30, 2006, 20:54

SimonC_Here

For the last couple of days when I start out in the mornings, the steering seems really odd.

Imagine a mark on the top of the steering wheel at 12 o'clock.

Whilst turning from 12:00 to around 9:00 or 3:00 all is as normal. Trying to turn past that point in either direction and it is as if the power steering isn't working. Then all of a sudden, it goes lighter again.

This make tight cornering interesting at times as I turn in, have to force it past 3:00 or 9:00 and then it goes light again and I am 'round to 6:00 and heading for the curb before I know it.

After a good warm up it seems to go back to normal, or it could be me getting used to it.

Anyone have any ideas before I try Toyota?  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:   ... Please!!!!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Simon

Anonymous

Have you check th elevel of the power steering fluid? Sounds like eiother its low or you've got an air bubble in the system?

Could be wrong being a newbie - its similar to what I had on the Landy when it was low tho.......

kanujunkie

seems like a fair one to me, if not i've got the details on the power steering at home
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Would suggest either a problem with your power steering fluid or the pump itself.

Perhaps you could try phoning a competent toyota dealer (I'm sure one must exist somewhere   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ) to find out if the symptoms are consistent with a known fault?

Richie

SteveJ

All 3 of my roadsters exhibited this behaviour from brand-new - I think it may be a limitation of the electro-hydraulic power steering - if you turn the wheel quickly whilst the car is not moving you run out of pressure stored in the accumulator and the pump takes a while to catch up.

I covered a total of 140,000 miles in 3 cars without a PS failure, so I wouldnt worry too much about it.

kanujunkie

you have e-mail Simon
[size=100]Stu[/size]

SimonC_Here

Was a bit shocked to get all that info on a power steering system!! Thanks Stu.  s:) :) s:)

I'll go out and check the fluids now, thanks to the PDF from Stu I know what to look for! It's never been like this before, only recently started to feel odd.
It also happens at all speeds, so fast wide turns still exhibit the problem.

I do know a Toyota mechanic who will be able to tell me straight, but he is down in Kent! Mind you I am going that way in the next couple of weekends.

Simon

SimonC_Here

Well I checked the fluids level, all is good at cold and hot although when I took the top off the reservoir to check for bubbling, it went Pssstt (sort of).

Taking it out for a drive and it seems to be back to normal.   s:D :D s:D  

Will have to see what it is like tomorrow morning as it was only happening when it was cold. According to those PDFs, the tire pressures and steering alignment are high on the list of causes of heavy steering so if there is a problem tomorrow morning, I'll check the pressures and possibly get it aligned.

Thanks for every ones help, especially Stu for the PDF's.

I'll post back tomorrow.

Simon

kanujunkie

Quote from: "SimonC_Here"Thanks for every ones help, especially Stu for the PDF's.

No worries mate, sorry if i overloaded your inbox, i just cut and pasted everything
[size=100]Stu[/size]

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "kanujunkie"
Quote from: "SimonC_Here"Thanks for every ones help, especially Stu for the PDF's.

No worries mate, sorry if i overloaded your inbox, i just cut and pasted everything

No problem, it was just a bit of a shock!  s:) :) s:)

My messing about yesterday seems to have mostly cured it. So the culprit seems to be an airlock somewhere. I don't have any axle stands to do the whole bleeding precess (an no, that's not an expletive!) so I skipped that bit.

Still, I'm happy again.  s:D :D s:D

well, I could do with some more power....

Simon

kanujunkie

Quote from: "SimonC_Here"well, I could do with some more power....

aaaahhh that well know foe of all enthusiasts, the need to mod
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Tags: