Woo hoo new '2

Started by ChrisGB, May 6, 2006, 00:00

ChrisGB

Hi to All

I just put a deposit on a 53 reg MR2 The car drove very well and I am looking forward to collecting it next week. A question to the forum:

the car has two pretty good Bridgetsone 040s on the front, but the rears are in need of replacement pretty soon. What would you do, two new 040s or 4 new Toyo T1Rs? Anything else out there worth a look?

Also, how does wear rate compare front to rear?

Chris

(Counting the days to collection)  s:D :D s:D
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

markiii

I think a search will giv you enough opinions on that to last a lifetime
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

ChrisGB

Quote from: "markiii"I think a search will giv you enough opinions on that to last a lifetime

Hi

I did a search and got too many opinions. May just go Toyo to start the ball roling with 4 new tyres and a laser alignment. OTOH the car felt well planted on the 040s.

I want plenty of progression so when it lets go, I can play it rather than proceeding to the scene of the accident. Also, how do T1R and 040 compare in the wet?

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

markiii

T1R are much better in teh wet.

simple rule of thumb NEVER mix tyres on this car
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

ChrisGB

Quote from: "markiii"T1R are much better in the wet.

simple rule of thumb NEVER mix tyres on this car

Hi

Thanks for that. Personally, I would never mix tyres on any car, let alone one of these.

Chris

Anonymous

if you can afford it change to 4 new toyo's, i seriously doubt you'll regret it.   s:D :D s:D

I've had t1-r's on mine for about 13,000m now and it feels so much better than the tyres I had on previously, much much more progressive and infinitely better in the wet, but that's another story!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

ChrisGB

Hi

If I go Toyo (which is highly probable given my past experience of them) are they available in the correct size? I see on the Toyo UK site that 215/45 16 is not listed.

Chris

Two's Company

Most performace tyres aren't available in the standard size.  The closest T1R is 225/40/16.  

HTH

Steve

ChrisGB

Quote from: "Two's Company"Most performace tyres aren't available in the standard size.  The closest T1R is 225/40/16.  

HTH

Steve

Hi Steve

I notice we can get 225/40 or 225/45. The first is 13.5mm (2.2%) under diameter and the second 9mm (1.5%) over diameter. Also, it appears that the 225/45 is a 93W reinforced tyre, the 225/40 an 85W.

What is the most popular option here? Are there any noticable differences?

Sorry for all the questions, I am new to this MR2 lark.

Chris

Chris_h

Chris,

If you do go 4* Toyo and your front RE040's have some decent tread left on them, you should be able to sell them.

A used pair (Mr2 fronts sized) with only a few K usage went for £55 on Ebay recently (i was bidding up to £40)

May help you to work out the economics in your head - I think 4* new Toyo (plus some ££ for your potenzas) would probs work out cheaper than 2* potenza rears.

Have fun!!
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

ChrisGB

Quote from: "Chris_h"Chris,

If you do go 4* Toyo and your front RE040's have some decent tread left on them, you should be able to sell them.

A used pair (Mr2 fronts sized) with only a few K usage went for £55 on Ebay recently (i was bidding up to £40)

May help you to work out the economics in your head - I think 4* new Toyo (plus some ££ for your potenzas) would probs work out cheaper than 2* potenza rears.

Have fun!!

Hi Chris

The economics are secondary given the amount the car cost, it would be a shame to ruin it to save a few quid on rubber. I am after the best tyres for the job. The car feels good on the 040s but reading on here seems to imply the Toyos have a more progressive breakaway and are better generally and particularly in the wet.

As I am new to the mid engined layout, I want tyres that will let go progressively in wet or dry so I can learn the handling. I also need to get booked on a handling course (North Weald is just a few miles from me) and will do this before replaing the tyres.

Chris

Two's Company

Quote from: "ChrisGB"
Quote from: "Two's Company"Most performace tyres aren't available in the standard size.  The closest T1R is 225/40/16.  

HTH

Steve

Hi Steve

I notice we can get 225/40 or 225/45. The first is 13.5mm (2.2%) under diameter and the second 9mm (1.5%) over diameter. Also, it appears that the 225/45 is a 93W reinforced tyre, the 225/40 an 85W.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Page 3 of this tread explains the difference between 225/40 and 225/45
 m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... r&start=50 m

I have 225/40/16 on mine and it seemed faster after having the Toyos fitted.  On the front I have 195/50/15 to keep the 30mm split front to rear.  The Bridgestones are very good in the dry and they wear well,  I got about 20k from them and the fronts still had plenty of tread.  

A small amount of feel has been lost from the steering with the T1Rs but this is offset against the wet weather grip and reduced tramlining on the motorway which was awful with the RE040s.

Steve

ChrisGB

Quote from: "Two's Company"
Quote from: "ChrisGB"

HTH

Steve

Hi Steve

Chris

Hi Chris,

Page 3 of this tread explains the difference between 225/40 and 225/45
 m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... r&start=50 m

I have 225/40/16 on mine and it seemed faster after having the Toyos fitted.  On the front I have 195/50/15 to keep the 30mm split front to rear.  The Bridgestones are very good in the dry and they wear well,  I got about 20k from them and the fronts still had plenty of tread.  

A small amount of feel has been lost from the steering with the T1Rs but this is offset against the wet weather grip and reduced tramlining on the motorway which was awful with the RE040s.

Steve

Hi Steve

I read that thread before I posted the question. The thread prompted me to post the question as it failed to answer definatively what was optimum. The way I see it it that although 9mm or so larger in diameter, the 225/45 will wear down toward the correct size. The 40 section tyre will start 13mm too small and end up with wear at 19mm too small. Speedo error is probably far greater than the extra 9mm (or 1.4%) would make on circumfrence anyway.

I will wait until I get the car before I make any decisions. Something no one mentioned in that thread was load index. What are the load indexes for F/R on the 03+ MR2?

Lastly, are the Toyos night and day better in the wet or just a little?

Chris

Tags: