Tram Lining

Started by Anonymous, June 3, 2003, 18:04

Anonymous

I've searched the archives and not found anything in exact answer to my question so hopefully someone may be able to shed some light...

It's regarding the Roaster - mine seems to suffer from really bad tramlining. It's totally standard (2000 model) and is running on Yoko A-043 tyres.

It's only just gone through the MOT so (thoeretically) it should have no major mechanical problems!

Any ideas?

Slacey

There has been a lot discussed on this topic before, some say different tyres make a difference, some say not - personally I think the car will do it regardless of the tyre as it is so light(weight). I'm sure someone will be along with a far more scientific answer soon...   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Comer

I had bad tram lining when I first got the car and I was annoyed with myself for not taking a test drive before ordering one  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

But I found that the dealer had left the tyre pressure too high and then once the Yokos had started to wear after 2k miles the tram lining reduced.  

I've recently fitted front member braces and it's reduced further still but I'm not sure why!!
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "Bazza"It's regarding the Roaster - mine seems to suffer from really bad tramlining. It's totally standard (2000 model) and is running on Yoko A-043 tyres.

You'll never be able to completely remove tramlining, it's a design "feature" of the car (weight, chassis, suspension, wheel base etc all play a part).

One way I have found to reduce tranlining and also improve the handling was to lower the tyre pressure by 2psi all round.

Anonymous

What is the ideal presure all round on an 03 model?...does anybody know....I want to check ours this weekend...we have those Potenza tyres though not the yokos.

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "cstevens"What is the ideal presure all round on an 03 model?

RTFM   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Peter Laborne"
Quote from: "cstevens"What is the ideal presure all round on an 03 model?

RTFM   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

I was told not to RTFM!!!!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  I was told to go by the sticker that is on the inside of the glove box... apparently (i havnt check though) the manual says a different pressure!   s:? :? s:?

Tem

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"I was told to go by the sticker that is on the inside of the glove box... apparently (i havnt check though) the manual says a different pressure!   s:? :? s:?

They give the same pressures.

I have mine a bit lower than the manual says though. Gotta love that extra grip!
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies, nice to know it's not just mine then!

I've also got a Caterham and I can drive that on the same piece of road and let go of the steering wheel without any tram lining, so I don't think it's the weight, just the setup.

I'll try reducing the tyre pressures a little otherwise something to live with probably.

Anonymous

Bazza

Back in April I got hold of a copy of the MY 2003 dealer's manual and I quote parts of it:-

"2.1.1
  -ABS is standard on M/T and SMT models, the latter add Vehicle Stability control (VSC) Traction Control (TRC) and Brake Assist (BA).

The suspension has been improved for enhanced handling and stability. The SMT model has been re-tuned for faster response.

16. Suspension
The suspension calls upon Toyota's long experience with mid-engined sports cars and has been enhanced to offer a firm, agile, but comfortable ride that keeps the car stable and true.
The refinement of the MY 2003 MR2 Roadster's shock absorber and damping force contribute to an increased balance between handling and stability and to a smoother ride.

16.3. Shock Absorber

The oil and the oil seal have been changed to ensure the proper damping force in the extremely low piston spped range.

The construction of the piston and base valve has been revised to ensure the responsiveness of the damping force."

All the above leads me to believe that MrT was well aware of the tramlining problems but they don't appear to have said so publicly.

It would be VERY interesting to get a report from anyone who has changed to the facelift model and can give us some feedback on the driveability differences.

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

What about geometry setups? Would it be possible to get this 'adjusted out' and if so could anyone recommend anywhere to get it done in Essex/Herts area?

GSB

I had a four wheel laser alignment done on my car when it was a year old. The difference was incredible, despite tha fact that the settings were within Toyotas (rather wide) tolerance band. I had it done at Elite in Rainham (Just inside the M25 on the old A13). cost was about £60 IIRC and the difference was amazing.

If you have doubts about your handling and you cant cure it by playing with your tyre pressures (The '2 is extremely sensitive to tyre pressures, 2psi can make or break the handling on this car) then its a worthwhile check, It really can make a hell of a difference.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Bazza,

Can't offer any suggestions re your tram lining problems, although if it is excessive, it would be worth checking out the tracking and camber settings.  Any sign of wear on the front tyres?

Interesting to hear that you also have a Seven!

Which version?

I sold my 210BHP 2.0 16v Vauxhall engined Caterham last year and certainly miss the sheer grunt.....

Happy enough with the MR2 though which is nimble and pleasant as an every day car, but is far from the raw involvement of the 7.

Good luck with the steering...

Andrew

Anonymous

In reply to Roger H,
I am lucky enough to have had the chance to change from a 2000 model to an 03 model. I too had a lot of 'tramlining' problems with my 'old' one. I suffered with this for about 2 years !!!, assuming that it was just a trait of the car. Why should I assume otherwise with a brand new car. Eventually, after 45,000 miles, I had a four wheel alignment done at Essex Park Toyota. The difference was certainly very noticable and completely cured the tramlining.

To me, the new model is a totally different car in every respect, handling, smoothness, no rattles and everything feels more solid. I mentioned this to the dealer that I knew that Toyota had made some minor tweaks but I believed that wasn't the whole story. He just gave a wry smile.

Tags: