Front Wheels and Power Steering

Started by leon_in_uk, May 10, 2006, 09:02

leon_in_uk

hi, guys i have had my car back.

since the garage have had my car, the steering is heavy and seems like the power steering kicks in sometimes when turning the corners..

i checked the pressure and left is 34 and right is 35.. is that about right?

also what could this be? they did toe is from the front wheels, have they knocked around with the alignment.?
For sale: 3.5 v6 Nissan murano
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
Porsche Boxster 987, lapis blue, leather heated seats, xenons,, twin pipe...
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport
Silver MR-2, newish engine, clutch new alternator. Gutted Pre Cats..... MODS.....
HKS exhaust. markiii pipe, Anthracite Alloys. Red Calipers with Spyder decals. . Lowered 40mm. 03 vents, chrome jet washers lol... and my helpful Road Angel \":)\"

GSB

First of all, read your manual, or at least look at the sticker inside the glovebox, and learn something about your car that could very well save your life. Your front tyre pressures are far to high....

Sort your pressures out, and then see how it feels.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

leon_in_uk

well if i lower the pressures, then the steering would be even more heavier wouldnt it? must not be the pressures then.. must need aligning.
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport
Silver MR-2, newish engine, clutch new alternator. Gutted Pre Cats..... MODS.....
HKS exhaust. markiii pipe, Anthracite Alloys. Red Calipers with Spyder decals. . Lowered 40mm. 03 vents, chrome jet washers lol... and my helpful Road Angel \":)\"

GSB

Quote from: "leon_in_uk"must not be the pressures then.. must need aligning.

s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Check. The. Pressures...

How do you expect he car to handle or feel right when the front tyres are 30% over-pressure?
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

leon_in_uk

oops just checked its meant to be 26....

i will sort that out later, but i think it might be the alignment still
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

edward.carter

or power steering pump failure?

Liz

Quote from: "leon_in_uk"oops just checked its meant to be 26....

i will sort that out later, but i think it might be the alignment still

You have had your car how long and you only just seen what the pressures should be   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  .... if your power steering pump has gone you are looking at around £200 inc labour to get it fixed if you get a second hand one...£1K for a new one from Mr T
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

GSB

Quote from: "edward.carter"or power steering pump failure?

Could be.... But, when fault findng on any system, always investigate the statistically most likely and dazzlingly obvious possible causes first. Only then do you investigate further

Put it this way, if the engine wont start, do you first;

a) Replace the engine, or
b) check you havent run out of petrol?

leon_in_uk

jesus.. more money..........

its only been like this since the bloke who sold me the engine has had my car. im gonna get him to have a look at it!!
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

leon_in_uk

it cant be power steering pump, i have tried turning the steering wheel when the car is stationary and the wheels turn fine. as if the pump is working...

just when driving, and turning the wheel slightly seems like for a bit its light then heavy and light and heavy...

like the wheels are flat...
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

markiii

well as grant says first check the obvious

if tyre pressure don't fix it, perhaps there is a loose connection on the wiring for teh PS pump, and this is why it could be intermittently on.

you definately need a plan of action to elimate step by step

the scatter gun approach will just confuse the issue
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "leon_in_uk"...
just when driving, and turning the wheel slightly seems like for a bit its light then heavy and light and heavy...

like the wheels are flat...

Sounds just like my recent problem. See my post about 'Square' stearing when cold.

Do the tire pressures first though. Costs nothing and if it doesn't work at least your tires will be at the right pressures!

Simon

leon_in_uk

tyre pressures are now fine. and the problem is the same, i dont even think the power steering is on. so must be the steering system!!

since the car was on a toe truck with the front wheels were lifted off the floor, i think that might be the problem..
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

markiii

why?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

leon_in_uk

maybe he has knocked the PS wires, or knocked something out of place.

it was fine the last time i had my car...
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

edward.carter

from simons thread: Have you check the level of the power steering fluid? could be either its low or you've got an air bubble in the system?

m http://mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php? ... ering+cold m

Liz

Asking the glaringly obvious here - does the Power Steering light come on on the dash?
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

leon_in_uk

nope
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

Anonymous

Now that you've confirmed your tyre pressures, I would go check out your power steering fluid (See simon_c's post) and I would also check the fuse for the power steering.

Richie

leon_in_uk

fluid checked and that is fine, and no air came out either..

the PS is on when the car is stationary. so wont be the fuse...

just heavy when driving.
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

SimonC_Here

After a storming result on the springs you bought  s:P :P s:P , remember to get them fitted before you get the wheels aligned.

You don't want to have to do it twice!

Simon

leon_in_uk

will do.. im gonna get the alignment looked at when the engine is fitted, to see what the salvage bloke has done.

the idiot..
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

Anonymous

Ahh the irony..

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slurpy J"Ahh the irony..
s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

leon_in_uk

this is strange...

last night for a ten minute drive and this morning for a 5 minute drive the turning and power steering was fine...

just like normal steering..

i dont understand.. could be that the battery was flat a couple of days ago, and did a big journey yesterday could it? (the alternator recharging the battery)

i dunno. but strange
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

Tags: