Front Wheels and Power Steering

Started by leon_in_uk, May 10, 2006, 09:02

Anonymous

Quote from: "SimonC_Here"Just an update on mine.
After getting new tyres and getting them fitted on the right axle  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  I still had the problem, although it was less noticeable. had a mooch around under the fronnet and thought the universal joint on the end of the steering column looked a little rusty.
Gave it a good spray with PlusGas clone, left it for a bit and bingo. All back to normal.
  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Not sure how long it will last but I am getting SP to check it at the same time as the service (next Tuesday) and maybe look into getting the joint replaced.

So Leon, give it a spray and see if it works for you!

Simon
rather than something being seized, it may have been down to poor contact somewhere in this area. Did you notice if there are any electrical contacts around here? If so, I'd give them a good strip down and clean up.

SimonC_Here

Couldn't see anything electrical although I am sure there must be. The guy in the garage said he had seen the same problem on another car....an acient fiesta....which doesn't have the PS.

Oh well, I'm happy at the moment! Now to try to get my insurance company to let me borrow SP's TTET next week!

Simon

leon_in_uk

After getting new tyres and getting them fitted on the right axle  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  I still had the problem, although it was less noticeable. had a mooch around under the fronnet and thought the universal joint on the end of the steering column looked a little rusty.
Gave it a good spray with PlusGas clone, left it for a bit and bingo. All back to normal.

Not sure how long it will last but I am getting SP to check it at the same time as the service (next Tuesday) and maybe look into getting the joint replaced.

Simon

cheers simon, will do... only thing is!! what is the front axel? so i take the plastic cover off and where do i spray? also will wd40 do it?
For sale: 3.5 v6 Nissan murano
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
Porsche Boxster 987, lapis blue, leather heated seats, xenons,, twin pipe...
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport
Silver MR-2, newish engine, clutch new alternator. Gutted Pre Cats..... MODS.....
HKS exhaust. markiii pipe, Anthracite Alloys. Red Calipers with Spyder decals. . Lowered 40mm. 03 vents, chrome jet washers lol... and my helpful Road Angel \":)\"

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "leon_in_uk"

Simon

cheers simon, will do... only thing is!! what is the front axel? so i take the plastic cover off and where do i spray? also will wd40 do it?

No, front universal joint.
Lift up the bonnet (the bit in front of you while you drive as opposed to the bit covering the engine bay)
Take off the plastics, press down in the centre of the studs and then lift up to get them out.
Just to the right of the power steering fluid and to the left of the storage continer you can see a universal joint.

Spray that.

I won't bother with wd40 although if it's the only thing you've got then try it, the stuff I used was to free up rusty joints.

Simon

leon_in_uk

got ya, know exactly where it is, thanks i will give it a try...
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport
Silver MR-2, newish engine, clutch new alternator. Gutted Pre Cats..... MODS.....
HKS exhaust. markiii pipe, Anthracite Alloys. Red Calipers with Spyder decals. . Lowered 40mm. 03 vents, chrome jet washers lol... and my helpful Road Angel \":)\"

SimonC_Here

Got a couple of pics if you need them, can't get to my webspace to upload them though. If you want them PM me.

Simon

Anonymous

If its a roadster, check the strut top bearings........
they have a nasty habit of siezeing, then as you turn the steering the spring unwinds, then the bearing gives causing the steering to jump(usually along with a clunk noise), and so-on, and so-on
its hard to spot, and wont show a fault once the car is lifted off the ground, or put on alignment gauges.
usually needs front strut tops and spring isolators to cure.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

leon_in_uk

right then... Thanks to Simon C my steering is back to normal...

the joint may of been rusty. i sprayed wd40 on it last night before i went poker. lol and drove this morning, the steering is as light as a feather..

thanks for the pics simon. a good old spray and thats it..
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

Tags: