Clutch/transmission issue

Started by Tem, May 12, 2006, 10:05

Tem

Something started to act up on my lunch break. First when I left the parking lot, I went normally from reverse to 1st, but then the 2nd wouldn't go on. Tried the 3rd and it wouldn't go in either. Tried the 2nd again and it went in, but with more force than is normally needed.

It drove fine on 2nd, but when I floor the clutch pedal, it does something funny. The moment I hit the clutch it feels normal, but within a second or less it seems like someone pulled the handbrake and the car decelerates.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  It's nothing like normal braking, but clearly more than free rolling, kinda what you get with the handbrake really. Then after some seconds it starts to roll normally again.

After that I didn't feel like trying anything, even a gear change, cause I needed to get back to work and it drove fine on 2nd. Except every time I had to stop, it felt like someone pulled the handbrake on for few second after I step on the clutch pedal.

When I got to work, I revved the car to some 4000rpm on 2nd and floored the clutch. Again it felt like someone pulled the handbrake, but now I also noticed the revs didn't fall down. Well, they did, but very slowly. My foot was also off the throttle, so it should've dropped.

Sounds like a clutch issue, right? I'd guess the bearing, but does anyone with some knowledge of these things have a better guess about the issue? Or what else it could be?  s:? :? s:?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

karlus972

how many km does your 2 have? I think after a certain amount, the clutch needs to be changed anyway - right?

PS: talk to me in km, not miles please!!!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Madinina Style!!

Tem

Quote from: "karlus972"how many km does your 2 have?

About 40tkm on the car. The TRD clutch+plate has been there for some 20tkm now and the bearing was also changed at that time.  s:? :? s:?

QuoteI think after a certain amount, the clutch needs to be changed anyway - right?

Yeah, it does wear out. But not this fast...I hope.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

kanujunkie

have you had a chance to inspect the clutch though Tem?

still not beyond all resonable doubt. Are the linkages ok as well?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "kanujunkie"have you had a chance to inspect the clutch though Tem?

Nope, not yet. I'll get off work in an hour and will play with it a bit more. Don't have too much time today though.  s:? :? s:?

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "kanujunkie"have you had a chance to inspect the clutch though Tem?

Nope, not yet. I'll get off work in an hour and will play with it a bit more. Don't have too much time today though.  s:? :? s:?

lifes always too busy   s:( :( s:(  

good luck mate!
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Beowulf

Sounds to me like the clutch plate could be sticking,thus its hanging on to the engine when you release it (clutch down).It could just be an adjustment issue and its not releasing all the way (this would also stop you from selecting gears easily).A clutch plate should last a long time with normal use,so it is unlikely it is an issue with yours.If its not just adjustment it might be faulty and or broken.Hope this helps.
Entropy always increces.

2001 red 46K stock (apart from de-badging on my rear (ooh err)) never had a problem in 5 years!  (touches wood quickly)

Tem

Quote from: "Beowulf"Sounds to me like the clutch plate could be sticking

You're right, it's that. Got a little time to play with it now and first of all I can't get into any gear when the car is moving. When the car isn't moving I can get into gear, but it also starts to drive forward the moment I get on gear when with the cluch pedal down.

Stopping into traffic lights the car felt like an automatic, trying to crawl onward.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Stopped the engine to stop the disc from slipping and started on green and the car always jumps forward even during starting with the clutch down.

A quick look into the engine bay and everything seems to be in place and there are no leaks. Also the clutch reservoir is full, so I doubt it's leaking. (leaky slaver cylinder causes the same after it runs out of fluid, been there  s:? :? s:? ) The pedal also feels like always before, (dis)engages at the same point, or at least tries to.

So what are the easy options, before actually opening the clutch?  s:? :? s:?  Bleeding the slave cylinder comes to mind. Is there anything else?

Beowulf

To be honest I have not done a clutch on my MR2 yet (hope not to,its very cramped in there lol).I am not sure if there is any adjustment with it being hyraulic,however if it feels the same as it always has,then it points more to a problem with the clutch assembly itself (however,being hydraulic it takes away some feeling from the system anyway).I am afraid it looks like you might need to take it to MR T's for a look,or the place you got the replacement fitted.Sorry I cannot be of more help.  s:( :( s:(
Entropy always increces.

2001 red 46K stock (apart from de-badging on my rear (ooh err)) never had a problem in 5 years!  (touches wood quickly)

Tem

Just bled the clutch and it made no difference.

Could the pedal adjustment being off cause this? Can't seem to find my BGB, anyone got one and wouldn't mind writing/scanning the pedal adjustment procedure?  s:? :? s:?

kanujunkie

i've sent you all the BGB files i have on the clutch Tem, hope it helps  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

It sounds, to me, as though it's not to do with the release mechanism.  

I'm thinking maybe the friction material has become partialy detached from the driven plate, and is therefore in contact with the flywheel/ pressure plate, even when the pressure plate is fully released.

The other possibility is that the driven plate has seized on the splines, and therefore does not fully disengage from the flywheel.

Tem

Thanks Stu!  s8) 8) s8)

peterb, I'm afraid you're right, as I can't see how the pedal adjustment would suddenly move that much and keep getting worse over some time of driving. Just trying the easy options first (while praying), before getting into the major stuff.  s8) 8) s8)

MoJim

If it was anything to do with the thrust bearing or shaft you would usually hear something when you operate the clutch (light whirring noise) but that tends to be a gradual thing.

As peterb has said it sounds more like debris taking up the clearance you would normally have when using the clutch.

That could be some of the friction material breaking away from the clutch plate or a broken finger from the pressure plate spring, if this is the case then it needs looking at ASAP. More driving may end up scoring the wearing faces of the pressure plate and/or flywheel.

It would be worth making absolutely sure that the slave cylinder and operating arm is working properly though before going any further.

Tem

Quote from: "MoJim"It would be worth making absolutely sure that the slave cylinder and operating arm is working properly though before going any further.

How do I do that? Watch it move while someone is working the pedal? How much should it move to be normal?

(...or is that in the BGB Stu sent me? Can't check it at work...)

MoJim

Basically yes or you can use something to hold the pedal down, you can see it from underneath looking up through the slots in the plastic tray.
The amount of movement might be in the files sent to you but taking a quick measurement on mine from the end of the actuation arm it's 13mm (+/-1mm) total movement.
That's on a 2000 model.

Tem

Quote from: "MoJim"Basically yes or you can use something to hold the pedal down, you can see it from underneath looking up through the slots in the plastic tray.
The amount of movement might be in the files sent to you but taking a quick measurement on mine from the end of the actuation arm it's 13mm (+/-1mm) total movement.
That's on a 2000 model.

Thanks, mine's a 2000 too, but I guess they are all the same. The car's up already and haven't had the plastics in there for years, so I can easily get down there. When I have the time that is..  s:? :? s:?

kanujunkie

yeah Tem as Mojim says you can see it through the diapers, but if you remove that then you'll see a plastic panel on the bottom of the gearbox, this unclips to reveal a larger view of the clutch, you should be able to measure it better from there
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Tem

Didn't get to it yesterday, but...

Quote from: "kanujunkie"a plastic panel on the bottom of the gearbox, this unclips to reveal a larger view of the clutch, you should be able to measure it better from there

...are you saying I should see the clutch through that? I did take a peek in there, but could only see the flywheel. Or does it become visible when the clutch is disengaged, cause I only looked there when it was engaged..?

I thought MoJim was talking about the arm that's visible from the outer side of the clutch, near the slave cylinder?

kanujunkie

aaaahh balls i thought you could see the clutch as well through there  s:? :? s:?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Tem

Hmmmm...now this makes no sense.

A week or so ago I bled the clutch and changed the fluid while I was at it, but it made no difference.Didn't have time to look at it more at that time, so it has been just sitting for a week now.

Today I first checked the clutch pedal adjustment and it seemed to be fine. After that I used a videocam to check the slave cylinder fork movement and it also seemed ok. At that point I called a friend to help me tow it to our garage so I could open it...but then the clutch worked just fine, like it never had any issues.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  It engages/releases just where it used to and works perfectly fine in every way.

WTF!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Any ideas?  s:? :? s:?  I was thinking of getting the cylinder repair kits in case they are getting old..

(the TRD disc+plate has some +10tmiles on them, the stock cylinders some +30tmiles, I know neither should fail, but..)

kanujunkie

wierd, in my experience at work that usually means poltergeists or something thats affected by heat, try taking her for a run and see what happens
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "kanujunkie"wierd, in my experience at work that usually means poltergeists or something thats affected by heat, try taking her for a run and see what happens

Could be heat, who knows. Hasn't happened since.  s:? :? s:?

kanujunkie

fingers crossed for the future then Tem  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Tem

...and it has been just fine since. I guess I'll keep praying it stays this way and keep fearing for the worst.  s:? :? s:?  I hate stuff that happens once and then goes away without any obvious reason or a chance to fix it.

Tags: