Pre-cats: The Official MR2-ROC Information Thread

Started by Anonymous, May 16, 2006, 16:01

Anonymous

Quote from: "intheend"hey guys, i'm relatively a new member too and about to buy an import. i took my mechanic friend to view the car, he checked it over and said it was fine... although he did mention he saw a little blue smoke and smokey smell (car was in showroom also) the car has an aftermarket exhaust, i dont think this has anything to do with it, but i hope that my pre-cats will stay in tact! what do you guys think?

Blue smoke, smokey smell...........................Wouldn't touch it myself

intheend

Well I wa standing there as well... I noticed a little colouring but not alot at all. I'm just wondering if anyone has had this problem and what kind of things it could lead to? First things first! Full service!

I'm wondering if this is a lead to the pre cat problem? I read above about it could be burning oil somewhere? Also checked the dip stick and the oil was kind of low.... Not urgently low but quite low compared to my current car.

Any help would be useful thanks!

Anonymous

Quote from: "intheend"Well I wa standing there as well... I noticed a little colouring but not alot at all. I'm just wondering if anyone has had this problem and what kind of things it could lead to? First things first! Full service!

I'm wondering if this is a lead to the pre cat problem? I read above about it could be burning oil somewhere? Also checked the dip stick and the oil was kind of low.... Not urgently low but quite low compared to my current car.

Any help would be useful thanks!

It sounds like you have already bought it but the other symptoms with low oil are not good signs, all I can say is I hope it goes well for you

Anonymous

Quote from: "intheend"hey guys, i'm relatively a new member too and about to buy an import. i took my mechanic friend to view the car, he checked it over and said it was fine... although he did mention he saw a little blue smoke and smokey smell (car was in showroom also) the car has an aftermarket exhaust, i dont think this has anything to do with it, but i hope that my pre-cats will stay in tact! what do you guys think?

Reject both, the car and your mate the mechanic.

Anonymous

Does anyone know what the compression should be, just checked mine and they came out 150-160 across all 4.

Cheers

spit

I've seen in the range of 175 to 215 on healthy engines. Sometimes can be a bit difficult to tell because oil in the chamber can actually increase the compression reading! .... and gauges can vary too of course. Testing cold will make the reading a little lower - by just how much I have no idea.

As you're consistent across all four and consuming oil that would suggest oval bore. Where we've tested on precat failure it seems to be the cylinders with the shorter run between outlet and precat chamber that suffer most.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

Mine was 12.5 bar/181 psi from cold across the cylinders.

JohnB

Hi folks.......newbie here.
Very interesting read this thread (along with the soft-top drain hole and aerial repair ones).....I've just bought a 05 Mk3 for the missus and this job is going to be tackled one day next week.....my pal has a garage, so soon as he has a ramp free I will be taking a day off graft and cracking on with it.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread....it's a real potential lifesaver if you heed the advice.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Hi all

Been following the club for ages now, great information. Sadly though i now need some desperate help.

My car is a 2001 mr2r with 60k miles and yes it still has the precats in.

Its using 1 liter of 5 30w fully synthetic oil ever 500 miles now. It sometimes smokes a bit under heavy load at around 5k revs but not very often. The smoke isn't really oily anyway more black un burnt fuel type of stuff, like its being cleaned out every now and then.

So having studied the threads here on this I'm guessing because of the oil consumption the precats have gone.

The car is quite unique and i really don't want to loose it so My question is. If I de precat it now and get rid of the main cat, put some thicker oil in will that stem the problem and stop the wear? (im thinking yes because there's no more cat rubbish around and the main cat has gone so it wont get clogged with oil and cause pressure problems on the bores.

I'm happy to put a liter of oil in every month because I don't do that many miles if it means i can keep the car.

What do you all think? any advice is very much appreciated as no garage i know seems to have a clue about these cars.

Anonymous

Quote from: "jack2471"Hi all

Been following the club for ages now, great information. Sadly though i now need some desperate help.

My car is a 2001 mr2r with 60k miles and yes it still has the precats in.

Its using 1 liter of 5 30w fully synthetic oil ever 500 miles now. It sometimes smokes a bit under heavy load at around 5k revs but not very often. The smoke isn't really oily anyway more black un burnt fuel type of stuff, like its being cleaned out every now and then.

So having studied the threads here on this I'm guessing because of the oil consumption the precats have gone.

The car is quite unique and i really don't want to loose it so My question is. If I de precat it now and get rid of the main cat, put some thicker oil in will that stem the problem and stop the wear? (Im thinking yes because there's no more cat rubbish around and the main cat has gone so it wont get clogged with oil and cause pressure problems on the bores.

I'm happy to put a liter of oil in every month because I don't do that many miles if it means i can keep the car.

What do you all think? any advice is very much appreciated as no garage i know seems to have a clue about these cars.

Sorry Jack but I don't think there is anything you can do to make things better your problem is THIS, humungus amounts of oil burning red hot will finish off the cats as well   s:( :( s:(

markiii

I tend to agree with Les

that said I firmly beleive any 5w oil is way to thin for our engines

decat it, then try a good 10w oil and see how you go, you might get lucky
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

In that link Muffdan said this

"If you gut the pre-cats you can run with the oval bore problem for a long time (at least 30k with a turbo for me), you just have to top your oil more regularly".

So maybe a little hope? especialy as theres no nocking or tapping as yet?

markiii

if it still uses oil I wouldn;t consider it along termer, howver if a thicker oil stops it pissing oil then go for it
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

muffdan

yes, you can run with oval bores, but you're using a lot of oil. The level needs to be checked and topped up very regularly and the cost/hassle will add up!

You'll kill your main cat quite quickly too and fail an MOT. Unless you know a friendly MOT station you're going to have to replace the engine sooner rather than later.

*edit: When you get to the visible smoke out the back stage, it's definitely time to get it sorted btw  s:) :) s:)
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

loadswine

[MOD] Post deleted due to duplication. The question asked has its own thread and replies[MOD]
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Curlytoppz

This is a worrying thread   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:    I am picking up my little roadster from a garage on Wednesday.  I am worried now and thinking all sorts such as, what if these have already started to go and I am being sold a duff motor?  How would you know?

Anonymous

Does anyone have any idea what percentage of cars are affected by this problem?  I'm seriously considering buying an MR2, probably a 2003 or 2004, but can't afford to buy a car with the Sword of Damocles hanging over it (and me!).

Also, am I correct in thinking Toyota have extended the warranty to 7 years to cover this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Mad Matt

I don't think anyone knows a percentage as all we have is anecdotal evidence. All I can say is that as far as I'm aware Toyota took action to change the engine in the facelift model to tackle this problem. The post-facelift failures seem pretty rare from what I've read on this and other forums. I've got my pre-cats but I do check my oil weekly.

Toyota seem to have "unofficially" extended the warranty, if you've got a Toyota FSH.

markiii

Quote from: "wayno265"Does anyone have any idea what percentage of cars are affected by this problem?  I'm seriously considering buying an MR2, probably a 2003 or 2004, but can't afford to buy a car with the Sword of Damocles hanging over it (and me!).

Also, am I correct in thinking Toyota have extended the warranty to 7 years to cover this problem?

Thanks in advance.

even if you buy a newer car gut them

Anonymous

As above. Also, checking the oil weekly will make no difference at all as by the time you notice any loss it'll be too late, the damage will be done.

Mad Matt

While I can see no reason not to gut them if you're in the UK, I would have thought once the problem starts you're engine is on borrowed time anyway. I thought I read about someone having the problem the other day who then ended up with a sub-prime engine anyway. Perhaps I am mis-remembering.........

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies.  I'm going to looks at a 2004 model on Friday - wish me luck.

skinz

Hi guys,

just been having a read through the pre-cat info, and got a couple of questions....

Are Jap models as equally affected when it comes to precats? - I have a 2002 MR-S recently purchased, so will be looking to sort this out asap - even though there are no symptoms.

I understand that the material can be removed, but is there an aftermarket part that would replace this?

...and... does removal affect the cars emmissions, e.g. MOT problems?

Thanks in advance
S

uktotty

Yes
No
No

In that order

skinz

Quote from: "uktotty"Yes
No
No

In that order