Average revs to speed?

Started by Anonymous, May 18, 2006, 17:52

Anonymous

Hi everyone
Bought my first ever Mr2  (51) a couple of weeks ago, loving it.

I'm interested to see if it's up to par with the norm.
What sort of speed to revs do you get in each gear and whats the max revs in each gear you get

Hope this makes sense.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Phil

red_leicester

Hit's the limiter just past 7k I think.  About 7250 ??  Anyone know for sure...  I'l sure someone will be along in a minute  s:) :) s:)
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

Anonymous

oh,  mine only seems to hit about 5500 in 3rd

Anonymous

What, even with your foot flat to the floor? You should be doing 90-ish in 3rd gear near the redline...

*not on a public road, obviously  s:wink: :wink: s:wink: *

Anonymous

Yup, it's fine till about 5000 then goes up really slowly ( doing about 65-70)

I only ask all this because i'm sure it was alot faster when i first had it, and the revs used to go all the way to red. it was serviced 2-3 weeks ago, and i've only noticed it last couple of weeks.

I'm getting worried now  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:   s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

Check your oil level asap. Just in case...

Anonymous

oils fine, at top of the mark  s:D :D s:D  

Any other ideas???

Anonymous

*Mod*

Moved thread.

*/Mod*

See what happens after a MAF clean and an ECU reset.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Phil-yarde"oh,  mine only seems to hit about 5500 in 3rd

Take it it seems to take a while to get there, and feels quite slow? if so it Sounds like your main catalyst is blocked with lots of bits of broken precat and causing excessive backpressure.

I would suggest inspecting the top side of your precats through the hole for the 02 sensor. If they are intact, the bottom half may still have fallen apart to block the cat, but can cross that bridge if you come to it.

Richie.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Phil-yarde"oils fine, at top of the mark  s:D :D s:D  

Any other ideas???

Perhaps they have overfilled it with oil, my garage did this once and it seemed to mess the performance up quite a bit. If so, I would try and let some oil out as I still think this is what contributed to my engine failure. I wouldn't be able to prove that though.

Anonymous

Thanks Ekona

Didnt mean to muck you around,was just trying to keep the right topics in the right place  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

I'll try it now, any particular wire i need to disconect from the battery(sorry, total noooooob)

Thanks for all your halp so far  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

No worries mate, it's what I'm here for!

Make sure you disconnect the negative (black) cable from the battery, not the red one.

aaronjb

Always, always disconnect the negative (black one  s;) ;) s;) ) lead first on a battery..

Always..

Always  s;) ;) s;)

Just pop that one off (don't worry about any little sparks as you pull it) and leave it off for a while to reset the ECU.

Although no power over 5000rpm sounds like fairly classic early signs of precat death to me  s:( :( s:(

[edit] Beaten to it by Dan, apparently..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

My thoughts too.

Phil, read the pre-cat sticky in this forum, taking note about how to check your pre-cats (like Richie said) from the top. And do it sooner rather than later if the MAF/reset doesn't do anything.

Anonymous

O GOD  s:( :( s:(    s:( :( s:(  , Gunna re set the ECU first

I'll have to get the 02 socket thing.

Does anyone live near me?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Phil-yarde"O GOD  s:( :( s:(    s:( :( s:(  , Gunna re set the ECU first

I'll have to get the 02 socket thing.

Does anyone live near me?

If the worst has happend (touch would it hasn't) and your car has a FSH, is under 5 years old and and has a reasonable mileage, toyota will replace / repair your engine free of charge. Dont think they will do the CAT's though, so may be worth purchasing an extended warranty.

Anyway, Im getting a bit ahead of things here, I'll let you check your precats first before doing any more speculating.

Anonymous

Right, i've disconected the negative.

Phil-yarde wrote:
oh, mine only seems to hit about 5500 in 3rd

Take it it seems to take a while to get there, and feels quite slow? if so it Sounds like your main catalyst is blocked with lots of bits of broken precat and causing excessive backpressure.

It gets there quite quickly, then just slows down.

Oil is on the max line.

Bongo

What part of Derbyshire are you from?

Anonymous

Tibshelf, near Alfreton

Anonymous

Just been out again, seemed quite beefy to start with, got over 6500 in 3rd.
But when the engine warmed up properly it's back to 5000 again.

Anonymous

Just rang a mates uncle who works for Toyota and explaned things.

He says he doubts its anything to do with pre cats and thinks it's prob a sensor playing up because of the lose of power when it warms up.

Please dont think i'm saying anyone is wrong, i'm just getting really scared, and i know i'm not going now worying that it's the pre cat thing

Anonymous

Ment to say "i know i wont sleep now thinking about this"

Should i just take it to nearest toyota garage and let them look at it?

back to what richie said about toyota sorting it. the car was reg in 01/09/02, has full service history and just done over 60,000.

I need to drive it to work tommorow, will that be ok?

Thanks again for everyones help

Anonymous

Sorry ment first reg in 01/09/01  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Does the "worse when warmed up" idea help conferm the pre cat idea?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Phil-yarde"Ment to say "i know i wont sleep now thinking about this"

Should i just take it to nearest toyota garage and let them look at it?

back to what richie said about toyota sorting it. the car was reg in 01/09/02, has full service history and just done over 60,000.

I need to drive it to work tommorow, will that be ok?

Thanks again for everyones help

With all due respect to your friends uncle, many people have difficulty getting an acceptance of the precat theory from toyota employees, regardless of how experienced they are or how good an engineer they are. I think many mechanics find the theory hard to understand as they are not overly familiar with the workings of this engine and the precatalyst setup.

With this said, it may be worth taking it to Toyota for a diagnosis in case they have some sort of knowledge base for similar symptoms. I wouldn't commit to letting them carry out any work, unless they assure you that you won't be paying for it.

In my opinion, if it was a sensor causing the problems, you would see the check engine light on your dashboard illuminate.

The guys at Ayr Toyota and Helensburgh toyota (independant from one-another) have both told me that as a rule of thumb, toyota will consider a goodwill repair as long as your car is <5 years old, is within average miles and has been serviced at the correct intervals using genuine toyota parts. Each case is dealt with individually though, so this may vary.

I had my shortblock replaced just last month and was actually refused the claim upon first attempt (on the basis of age), however my dealer phoned up and spoke to the guy in charge of approving it and it got sorted out as my car had only become 5 years old by a few days. see my post here:

m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... ht=#136980 m

As for driving to work tomorrow, I would recomend not using it if at all possible until you have clarified the fault. With precat failure, everything becomes a vicious circle and deteriarates very quickly.

as for the heating up - losing power thing, I cant think of any reason why this would have a bearing if it were precat failure, could just be coincidental.

sorry to here of your woes mate, I only hope all the precat stuff i've written above isn't neccesary. I know how horrible the feeling is, as I've had one roadster with precat failure and another with excessive bore wear.

All the best,

Richie.

Anonymous

Thanks richie, your making me feel better.  s:D :D s:D  

Work is on the way to toyota, so i'll drive to work and phone them up when they're open, and hopfully take it to them in the evening.  s:D :D s:D  
Wont get a loan car this soon but it dosnt matter (do they actually charge you for using one?)

If it isnt the pre cat thing (i really hope it isnt) i'm definatly gunna get the little !!^&**£$$ ripped out, i've looked at the step through, i'm a bit worried about doing it my self though  s:( :( s:(  

Again, thanks to everyone who helped  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Even though i wont sleep now cos of you lot  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:         s:D :D s:D

Tags: