Average revs to speed?

Started by Anonymous, May 18, 2006, 17:52

Anonymous

Your Welcome mate

Quote from: "Phil-yarde"do they actually charge you for using one?)

My dealership provide free courtesy cars with free insurance, other dealers make you provide your own insurance, some make you pay for the usage of the car and a few wont give you a car at all.

Anonymous

Just thought, i didnt buy the car from a toyota garage, will that possably affect the good will idea?

Although, i bought my previous car from them ( Corsa SXI  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  ) and i've always gone back to them for repairs and to service the MR2.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Phil-yarde"Just thought, i didnt buy the car from a toyota garage, will that possably affect the good will idea?

Although, i bought my previous car from them ( Corsa SXI  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  ) and i've always gone back to them for repairs and to service the MR2.

I bought my car privately and it didnt matter, although every service & repair in my book has been carried out by Helensburgh toyota.

Anonymous

Only two of the four service stamps are from Toyota garages.  so i might have a problem.
Failing that i do have some sort of Warrantee from the garage i bought it from, although they are only a small garage

aaronjb

Quote from: "Richie"In my opinion, if it was a sensor causing the problems, you would see the check engine light on your dashboard illuminate.

Not always.. There are some sensors where it's just virtually impossible for the ECU to tell a wrong signal from a correct signal, unless the sensor goes totally open-circuit -- inlet air temp and coolant temp for example - the ECU can't possibly know that the sensor that's reading 30C coolant is really sat in 100C coolant, so it has no basis for lighting a CEL until the sensor goes open circuit and ceases to read anything.

The only way around that would be full redundancy on every sensor on the car..

The fact that the power is there when cold would actually make me think it's a sensor issue too -- if it was excessive backpressure strangling the engine it would almost certainly do that regardless of operating temperature.

That said, I haven't read of anyone having an IAT or coolant temp sensor fail and cause those particular symptoms on the 1ZZ-FE (though it's a pretty common mode of failure on the 3S-GTE, GE and VG30DE engines), perhaps we simply don't have a large enough cold-running correction to make a difference.. someone who's seen the stock maps could perhaps confirm that (if anyone has).

I presume the OBD-II specs make provisions for reading sensor outputs off over the diagnostic port (if my 1989 designed non-OBD Nissan ECU does, I'm sure OBD-II will) then someone with a proper diagnostic computer (not just a code reader) should be able to look at the output of the various sensors under cold & warm running conditions and easily see if it's the coolant temp sensor (or any other sensor) playing up.

AFAIK the only place you're liable to find a diagnostic rig like that, though, is Toyota..... if I said anything more it could probably be construed as liable, so I won't  s;) ;) s;)

Anyway, try not to fret over this too much.. honest.

And, if you can, see if you can find a localish member who would be willing to lend you their MAF, O2's and coolant temp sensor (not sure how feasible swapping that one over will be, however), so that you can see if those fix it.  That's by far the easiest route to resolution in this case, IMHO.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

markiii

on the basis that it might be teh IAC

might be worth cleaning it and see if that helps
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

It's the pre cats  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

Toyota want nearly £1800 to fix it  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

Told them, err, NO!!!

Thats to replace the front manifold pre cat section and the main cat.Charging me £150+vat for telling me that.
 They say there is no damage to the engine though.  

Question 1  If i was gunna rip out the pre cats anyway, cant i just clean up that section (rip out whats left of the pre cats) and use it again? I know toyota want to replace it, but i suppose they've got to.

Question 2  How bad does the main cat have to be to stop working? is it possable to get the debris of the pre cats out of that section and still use that part? or am i just dreaming.  

Can only get the Main cat section from Toyota (£650  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  )  I've tried  ATS, kwik fit and selectatyre

Anonymous

Gut your pre-cats NOW, change the whole main cat, and start praying. You may be lucky, you may not, but right now this is your only option.

Anonymous

After i've got the car back i dont plan to drive it till i've ripped them out.

I've been offered a second hand main cat section £100. what do you recon, is it worth it or not recomended?

Although i did read on this site that getting performance parts are actually cheaper then Mr T. anyone recomend anywhere to get these parts?

markiii

yes
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Is that a yes to getting the second hand part?

markiii

yes

Anonymous

Just rang them up, is it the second part of the pipe i want ( the bottom part they called it) next to the back box

aaronjb

Quote from: "Phil-yarde"Just rang them up, is it the second part of the pipe i want ( the bottom part they called it) next to the back box

That's a pretty vague description, but yes.. the main CAT comes off the bottom of the manifold, runs along the very bottom of the exhaust run then turns back up to connect to the back box.

Incidentally - ask if it's from a UK car or import, or whether it has the third O2 sensor or not. UK cars have one, Japanese cars do not.. One can be made to fit the other (leave the sensor in as a bung if you have a J-spec car and UK CAT, or have a bung welded in if vice versa)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

markiii

yes

Anonymous

Yes it's a UK car (03)

£130 all in with postage  s:) :) s:)  

Suppose i'll need gaskets now  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

I'd like to thank everyone again for all the help, you have no idea how much i appreciate it  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

PS

Is it a goop idea to get the car toed home now that they have said there is no engine damage?

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Phil-yarde"PS

Is it a goop idea to get the car toed home now that they have said there is no engine damage?

get it towed, if you start the engine before the cats are gutted and the main cat replaced then its definatley bye bye to the engine, if its not too far gone now already.

just out of interest, how does Mr.T know the engines ok anyway??
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

red_leicester

Hope it all works out fine Phil.
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

Anonymous

Hi Phil, glad its not all as bad as it seemed.

As written here, gut your precats and replace the main catalyst (its unfeasible to get all of the broken precat out of your current one and you could risk bits getting into your engine)

Dont start your engine again until you have both gutted the manifold and replaced the main cat to avoid any contamination with precat material.

£130 is a good price to pay for your Cat.

Hope it all goes ok, let us know how you get on.

Richie.

Anonymous

They know the engine is ok cos they spent 3 hours spliting the engine down looking for the problem untill they found that it was the exhaust (Well thats what they say they are charging me £150+vat for)

As for starting the engine, will i have to put it on ramps to get at it all?

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Phil-yarde"They know the engine is ok cos they spent 3 hours spliting the engine down looking for the problem untill they found that it was the exhaust (Well thats what they say they are charging me £150+vat for)

the problem is Phil is that without a microscope even the most eage eyed mechanic at a toyota garage wont be able to see the microscopic particle that will damage the internals of your engine. I'm afraid all you can do is hope you caught it in time and keep your fingers crossed

Quote from: "Phil-yarde"As for starting the engine, will i have to put it on ramps to get at it all?

nope, you can just remove the rear bumper and crash bar, that'll give you enough access, instructions on bumper removal are in the articles section
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

roger

One suggestion Phil, before you start hacking at the precats, study them carefully, top and bottom.

This will give you an indication (an indication only, remember) as to what might be coming up. The worse the damage to them, the more likely you could have engine problems, though as Stu says, it only needs one small bit, and..........

Best of luck, mate
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

Hi everyone
Just an update, exhaust came couple of days ago.

I've gutted one of the pre cats (was still like new) and the car had already gutted the other one for me.   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  
Been driving the car for 2 days now, everything seems fine so far, car drives like a dream and no oil loss so far.

Am i out of the woods yet?

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "Phil-yarde"Hi everyone
Just an update, exhaust came couple of days ago.

I've gutted one of the pre cats (was still like new) and the car had already gutted the other one for me.   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  
Been driving the car for 2 days now, everything seems fine so far, car drives like a dream and no oil loss so far.

Am i out of the woods yet?

You've got to ask yourself, where did the other precat go?

It's wont get out of the exhaust, the main cat is in the way. So it's probably sitting there clogging it up.

Time to look for a new main cat?

Simon

Tags: