CEL Light On, Mr T wants £40+vat to read it? normal? fair?

Started by Maxx, May 25, 2006, 16:19

Maxx

Hi,

I've had the CEL on constant for the last 2 days so rang local MrT to get it read, they want £40+vat for this, seems a little steep just to READ IT.

Car seems to be running absolutely fine.

Car has done 48k miles, engine about 30k I generally have all my servicing and such done elsewhere but doubt they'd have the kit to read the CEL code.

Any advice? Most likely cause?
If work needed doing, assume I could get done elsewhere but what about resetting the CEL (i.e. clearing the light?)

TIA

M.

Maxx

Kinda Urgent, booked in tomorrow morning .. TIA

kanujunkie

the code should be able to be read by anyone with an ODB-II reader, you can even get them from ebay. If your prepared to run the risk and wait get one of those. But outside of that £30-£40 is the going toyota price for reading them round my way
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Well I guess you could disconnect the battery to clear the code BUT......

If its displaying a code then something could be wrong and whats better, spending £40 and finding out there isn't a fault OR ignoring the fault and bang....new engine required.

At the end of the day its showing a fault for some reason I'd think its safer to find out what its saying?

kanujunkie

if your ok with the tools, then try cleaning the o2 and maf sensors, chances are its one of them anyway
[size=100]Stu[/size]

spit

Normal? Sadly yes, but some MrT's are more friendly than others.

Fair? No. If its a UK car you can get your own code reader for that kind of money.

Someone here from the Nottingham area might have one already. Lets hope they see this post.

And if the car is running fine, it sounds like it isn't serious enough to throw you onto the ECU's safe map, in which case you'd be hobbling.

Most likely cause? We'd just be guessing but there are some common favourites on these pages. MAF and O2s particularly (*edit - Stu is quicker than me! *)

Any advice? Yes - if you're going to pay that sort of money to have the code read, make sure that they tell you exactly what the code number is (or numbers are) - don;t get fobbed off with just a description of their diagnosis.

Hope this helps.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

Most common cause is the heater circuit as part of the o2 sensors - you need to have the code read to confirm this though.

[edit] spit beat me to it....[/edit]

Maxx

Guys,

Thanks a bunch for the replies, swift and knowledgable as ever.

I have a friend of a friend who has a reader and they are coming over tomorrow to read the code. He's a mechanic so should there be something simple required I'm sure he can sort that out as well.

I'd read that it is useful to get the MAF cleaned every so often and as I doubt it's been done it could be this, assume the information on this and the o2 sensors is on this site somewhere so i'll look around.

Thanks Again ..

M.

Maxx

Hmm,

Been doing a fair bit of looking around. I know there is an article on here somewhere as it's referred to in this post  m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... nsor+clean m

I've found out I can clean it (MAF [also O2]) will carb cleaner, the best is "Wynn's" from Halfords BUT I've yet to find the article or forum post which explains where the MAF & O2 sensors are and exactly what to do.

I did find some very techy stuff about these sensors in the PDFs at the autoshop101 site but still not where they are or how to clean them.

UPDATE: As I say below, I hate to give up. I actually found something about the O2 sensors in the "Pre-Cats Official Removal Thread" seems like I'd need a special spanner to remove and clean them though.

I hate to give up and have to ask but .... I give up .... and ... can anyone point me in the right direction. I'm mainly now looking for info on MAF cleaning.

TIA

M.

spit

The MAF is between the airbox and the throttle. The big pipe to the left of the engine (as you look at it from the rear) has a square box screwed into it about half-way along. From the right of that box is a flat electrical connector. Thats the MAF...... Hang on I'll hunt down some pics for you.....

spit

OK this is a slightly different arrangement to stock, because the car has an Apexi intake fitted, but the MAF is pretty much where it would normally be.....(just to the right of dead-centre of the pic)

I'm surprised if we haven't got an article on removing and cleaning the MAF and carb-cleaner squirting etc.....but I've only had a quick search. Anyhoo, hope this and the description gets you rolling.

Don't get any cleaner on the rubber o-ring seal that seats the MAF. Some brands will perish the rubber. And be careful cleaning the wire filament in the MAF - its v delicate.

Anonymous

heres a guide on how to do it:

m http://www.spydermagazine.com/2002/Marc ... _clean.htm m

Hope this helps you.

Richie

Maxx

Thanks Guys, really appreciate it.

M.

spit

Quote from: "Richie"heres a guide on how to do it:

m http://www.spydermagazine.com/2002/Marc ... _clean.htm m

Hope this helps you.

Richie

Nicely poached Richie. Soz Maxx my head is spinning at the moment - I completely forgot to check out our US cousins  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

kanujunkie

the o2 sensors Max are the 2 that go through the heatshield that you see when you look down at the engine. You need an o2 sensor removal tool to remove them, theres loads of places that sell them on the internet, you need a 22mm one
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Maxx

Thanks - Just an Update.

Turned out my friend of a friend didn't have a reader but did advise that many times a simple ECU reset is all that is needed. He advised that if I reset the ECU (disconnect battery for 15mins) then restart and run and the light doesn't come back on then it was a false alarm.

Have since done this and having been out and about today (30miles+) town & motorway driving, all appears well.

Good info on MAF and O2 sensor cleaning which I will keep and probably do when I get chance.

Thanks Again.

M.

kanujunkie

its worthwile doing the maf once in a while as performance is impaired by a dirty maf
[size=100]Stu[/size]

roger

Maxx

If you get problems in the next couple of days with a CEL come to the Midlands Meet at Burton on Trent on Sunday. Not far from you I guess.

I have an ODB reader and I'll bring it with me. Only trouble is I've never had need to use it before, but I'm sure we can work it out - it has instructions!!
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

spit

Great that you're sorted Maxx.

There are some faults that we've encountered that only trigger the CEL after a couple of engine restarts. Keep an eye & let us know.

And on the basis that you've just saved £40+VAT without blinking, go and treat yourself to a code reader, clear deflector, keyhole covers or other such bling, or donate a few quid to club funds if you like  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Go well
Ste

kanujunkie

and the 02's are a classic example of this
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Maxx

Spit .. Thanks. I'll keep my eye on it.

Roger .. Thanks for the offer  s:) :) s:)

M.

Maxx

UPDATE.

Been out and about today and the light came back on. My wife was in the car and persuaded me I should go and get it checked and we were quite close to the Local MrT.

So I handed over my £47 and, as predicted here, it was a P0175 which they list about 8 possible causes but the most likely are dirty MAF or O2 sensors. They offered to cure my problem for £50 and when I quizzed them what this entailed they said they would just clean those sensors.

I decided to decline their offer and I picked up some Wynns Carb Cleaner from Halfords (rec'd here) for £4.99 and just ordered a o2 removal tool  (basically a socket with a split down the side to allow the cable to run through) for £6.53 (£11.48 with shipping) from  w www.justoffbase.com w  (Item Desc "22mm Oxygen Sensor Socket").

So I'm set up. Will clean the MAF tomorrow, reset the ECU and try it. As the socket is going to be a few days I'll probably wait and see if the light comes back on. Would it be worth upsetting them to clean them if the MAF clean clears the problem?

Cheers

M.

PS. Will report back as to how I get on.

kanujunkie

if the maf cleaning fixes it then leave the 02's alone. they seem to be rather delcate and its never worth touching them unless its essential. of course you wont know wether this has worked until you've done a few trips out
[size=100]Stu[/size]

spit

Quote from: "Maxx"P1075

Should that be P0175?

Maxx - worth checking what size socket set you have for the O2 socket - some are designed for 3/8", some use 1/2"....Draper do an adaptor if you need one (most decent DIY/Tool places).

I'm with Stu on the grand plan though - O2s don't like excessive footling.

Maxx

Quote from: "spit"Should that be P0175?

Oops, yes, you are right. I've changed it in the above post now to avoid confusion.

Quote from: "spit"Maxx - worth checking what size socket set you have for the O2 socket - some are designed for 3/8", some use 1/2"....Draper do an adaptor if you need one (most decent DIY/Tool places).

I'm with Stu on the grand plan though - O2s don't like excessive footling.

I went for the 22mm one mentioned by kanujunkie above, so assume this is correct. Will take the advice here though and leave them alone if the MAF clean does the trick.

Thanks

M.

Tags: