CEL Light On, Mr T wants £40+vat to read it? normal? fair?

Started by Maxx, May 25, 2006, 16:19

spit

Quote from: "Maxx"I went for the 22mm one mentioned by kanujunkie above, so assume this is correct.

Yes, 22mm is right for the business end - I meant the square hole at the other end where you connect the ratchet from your socket set   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  Sorry, my bad explanation.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

kanujunkie

3/8" drive shold be fine, 1/2" is normally out of the reach of the average DIYer
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Maxx

Just to update this thread. I cleaned the MAF, reset ECU and have had no re-occurance of the CEL. This was a couple of weeks ago now so assume that was the problem.

I'm left with a slight concern though. I'm getting a hardly discernable (but definite) flat spot at about 4,300 revs. Have reset the ECU again but it hasn't gone away. It's more noticable under load (accelerating uphill).

She's booked in at Silverstone Performance tomorrow for springs/chassis brace and brake lines so will get them to see what they think. They are also loaning me their MR2 for a few hours while it's done so I'll be able to do a comparison, just in case it's all in my mind.

If anyone has any ideas, had something similar, would be interested to hear thoughts.

Cheers.

M.

spit

Before anyone jumps up and down and shout "precats", I'm sure you've been reading all about them and can come to your own sensible conclusion. We want everyone to be aware of the issues, but i think today's chat in another thread also demonstrates that we should be informing your judgement rather than scaring you into blind panic!

If you're passing through a slight bog at 4k and back into power again, I'd be inclined to look somewhere else. I had this some while back when normally aspirated. In my case the MAF was still a bit grubby. I cleaned it and replaced the air filter at the same time and it went away. Worth banging some injector cleaner (redex or somesuch) in with your petrol too.....and another ECU reset.

SP can talk you through some stuff too - they've seen a fair few '2s over the past few months  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Maxx

Spit,

Thanks for the reply. I'm certainly concerned about precats and in fact, had I read the forum in the last few weeks I would have also booked to have SP replace the manifold. Last time I read the forum they were thinking about it but weren't offering it yet. I'm still going to ask them if they can fit the job in as well as the other stuff.

The reason I didn't suspect precat issues is that it only happened after the MAF clean. I'll give the MAF another blast of Carb Cleaner and if SP have an air filter i'll ask them to fit that whilst they have the car.

Have actually just nipped out and done the MAF & ECU reset so will see how it runs on the way down to SP and report back later ... also on how the car feels after the chassis brace and TTE springs have been fitted. I'd also asked for the front strut brace but they havent managed to get hold of that in time.

M.

Maxx

Well, definitely seems better, I thought i felt it a couple of times but certainly not as noticable as it was. Will be able to tell better tomorrow as I am driving a route I know well adn there are a couple of places that it was really noticable before.

I checked the air-filter and it was fine, think I actually had it replaced on the last service, only a couple of thousand miles ago.

Will also give her a shot of redex next time I get chance.

Anyway ... not THE most exiting bit of the day ..

That was probably driving SP's TTE Turbo   s:D :D s:D   ... see separate post and second to driving my own car after having the chassis brace and TTE Springs fitted    s:) :) s:)  .. again, if theres time, see separate post.

M.

Anonymous

I have dug this thread back up because I think (I hope) I have a similar problem.
I recently had my PPE intake fitted, however; ever since that day the '2 was down on power and worsening (although no CEL light appeared), I read the forum and tried cleaning the MAF and resetting ECU, however this did not work, so off to the garage it went.
I was informed that the MAF was cracked and needed a new one, which was carried out. The car is like new again, and I'm getting the full potential of the PPE; performance and noise!!    s8) 8) s8)  
However, yesterday the CEL came on, and am a bit wary of it. Although there has been no distinguishable effect on performance, and no new noises, I tried resetting the ECU which lasted for a full day of driving...but then came on again just as I was parking up, so there is obviously something tripping it.
I have it booked in for MrT to give me a reading (£45  s:x :x s:x  ) tomorrow and will ask for the code.
To me it sounds like the O2 sensors may need cleaning, as surely the MAF cant have been clogged up within a week??!!
What'd you reckon?
cheers.

Maxx

Interesting. I still have remnants of this problem so interested to hear how you get on. How much did the replacement MAF cost? My car was running 100% before I cleaned the MAF to clear the CEL and ever since it has not been, so I do suspect the MAF is now faulty in some way.

I had a replacement manifold (de-cat'd) from SP a few weeks ago and examined the O2's which were fine so i don't suspect a problem there.

Please let me know how you get on.

TIA

Maxx

Anonymous

The MAF cost around £95 to supply, I'll keep posted how I get on.

Anonymous

Just got back from MrT
They reckon that my O2 sensor is a gonner (bank 1, sensor 2) They have reset the ecu again, and I drove back to work without the light coming on, is this normal? i.e. if its broke, surely the light would come straight back on, wouldnt it? Could it just need a clean?

They quoted me £225 plus VAT to fix, is this about right or did they see me coming?

Maxx

Hi,

Firstly, yes, it's normal for the CEL to stay off for a short while after a reset on some faults. Not sure if it's related to number of engine starts or miles but mine went around 4-5 starts, 35 miles before coming back on when I had my original dirty MAF fault.

Seems you have been really unlucky to have a cracked MAF and then a faulty O2 sensor. It may just need cleaning OR, take a look at this :-  m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Universal-TOY ... dZViewItem m

I'm not sure whether it's compatible but it says "universal". I'm not sure how much of a job it might be to replace but i'm sure you'll get some advice/help here.

As far as I know they are not the sorts of thing that normally fail completely and, should you decided to clean it yourself it's not a big job. You will need a special "socket" with a cut-out section. I bought one just in case when I had my problem (see earlier post for supplier info etc.).

Hope you get it sorted and for a lot less than £225.

Maxx

Anonymous

I unplugged one of the manifold O2 sensors and no CEL until it tried to run in closed loop mode. Then it went mental....

Also ran without a post cat O2 sensor and no CEL until the second time driving above 40mph for more than 15mins (or something like that).

Sounds like an O2 heater problem on your post cat O2

Anonymous

Might well be because of the PPE intake. It's a similar design to the pipercross viper and on spyderchat they reported a loss of power above 5k prm with the viper. The '2s intake seems to be a little delicate.

I know lots of guys that run the PPE intake without problems but each car is different and you never know.....

Maxx

Just thought i'd update this thread as i've resolved my problem. Replaced the MAF with a new one, problem sorted. No flat spot, hesitation or anything. Much more lively 4k and beyond.

Maxx

Tags: