another C2 install

Started by kanujunkie, May 29, 2006, 23:21

kanujunkie

we'll day ones been and gone and after a late start around lunchtimeish, Mark, Matt and myself managed to strip the car in its entirety and hang the turbo and manifold, put on the crank vent and prep the oil pan, not bad for the first days work.

the only problems today

1)forward engine bolts found with only 5 or six turns of the bolts left holding the engine on!!!!! looks like another issue to add to the list after the problems i had with a certain toyota garage
2)Flywheel inspection plate missing! same as above i think
3)Some dozy bugger left the cooland and oil lines at home  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

On a personal note i'd like to say a BIG BIG thankyou to Mark and Chris for 'A' putting up with me and 'B' putting me up, their generosity never ceases to amaze me, lifes true gems, cheers folks  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

also a big thanx goes to Matt, who just turned up, roll up his sleeves and mucked in, cheers, another one who i owe big time  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

heres some piccies of the day

[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

spit

Its looking very good guys. So much easier with a pit and space all round  s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:  You tha man, Mark  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Is there a brace for the turbo underneath, or does the kit rely on the casting? I can see something in the kit of parts that I don't recognise - maybe that's it  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Anyhoo, if there is, when you finally get your coolant lines (doh, Stu  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ) do a test offering cos you might find that the brace is right in the way of where the rear line naturally lies - assuming the only option to you is to have the turbo hub attachment facing downwards.

Useful to do the same with the oil feed line - its not something you can twist to fit so good to find an early lie for it round to the back.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

kanujunkie

there is a brace Ste, we just havn't fitted it yet, i'm off in a min to start with that, as for the coolant and oil lines, well they dont arrive till this arvo  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  but theres loads of room to install them after anyway
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "kanujunkie".....also a big thanx goes to Matt, who just turned up, roll up his sleeves and mucked in, cheers, another one who i owe big time  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

You're very welcome. I enjoyed helping out. I've still got a huge grin on my face from the noise the Apexi makes   s8) 8) s8)

philster_d

Stud !!

ninjinski

Stu - Good on ya mate - Nice to see your deligating skills are up to the task   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Maybe you can put the wheels back on when the boyz are finished!   s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D  

Seriously though - looking forward to hearing how is comes along!
Sable

PERF: TTE TURBO & exhaust, BC Coilovers Markii inlet TRD brace SP Downpipe Exedy Cerametalic Clutch TRD Short Shifter w brass bushings EBC discs/pads OMP steering wheel, front diffuser
ICE: JVC headunit JBL P652s Alpine SWD1600 & 2000 woofers Kenwood 600W amp
EXTERNAL: Mr T spoiler. black brake calipers Dynamat Toyota dust caps Dev\'s keyhole covers Simon\'s hairpins
INTERNAL: Red leather Carbon sill guards TRD stickers Mongo deflectors Chrome gear & dial surrounds Gregg\'s custom logo plate Taurec gauges

loadswine

All smiles then, even more so when its done. Upgrade to perma grin I guess.  s:D :D s:D
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

spit

Quote from: "philster_d"Stud !!

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Good  to see Mark at the helm.....but I'm with you ninjinski....Wonder if we'll ever see that elusive picture of Stu getting his hands dirty  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  That'll be one for the archives!

(ps Stu, your beautifully crafted jig arrived today. Thanx  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )

*edit - I've just noticed something - no rear chassis member in those pics - does it come off? Nobody told me!  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Anonymous

3 x 14mm in the holes at each end. Simple job. I didn't realise how easy until I took it off Stu's car yesterday. That's exactly what I'm doing in the picture.

spit

Quote from: "Matt"3 x 14mm in the holes at each end. Simple job.

Doh!

kanujunkie

Quote from: "spit"Wonder if we'll ever see that elusive picture of Stu getting his hands dirty  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  That'll be one for the archives!

Quote from: "spit"*edit - I've just noticed something - no rear chassis member in those pics - does it come off? Nobody told me!  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

6 bolts, 3 wire clips.   DOH!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

kanujunkie

more later on the install but surfice to say the stress today went orbital, stripped threads on the turbo!!!!

problem sorted but 2hrs of hair pulling and i look like Aaron now  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "kanujunkie"

That's just where you fell over, I bet  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Quote from: "kanujunkie"problem sorted but 2hrs of hair pulling and i look like Aaron now

Excellent!  s:D :D s:D

*rubs thighs at the thought of another one*

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

aaronjb

Well, I'm finally back home from day 2 of the C2 install.. they'll have to manage without me tomorrow (I guess at least nobody will be getting gassed while in the pit!  s;) ;) s;) ), then I'm back on Thursday.

I'll leave it for Stu to update on todays trials & tribulations later.. but he went to bed a good hour ago when I left Mark's (he was falling asleep on the sofa - must be an age thing  s;) ;) s;) )

Think I beat my record - 45 mins to get home without really speeding, including negotiating the guy who appeared to be drunk, weaving all over the M4, and who nearly rolled back into me at J6!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Liz

Stu, please tell me that you are going to paint that cross member bit black whilst you have it off....I will even come up there with a tin of Hammerite if you want and do it for you!!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

markiii

after the fun we've been having I reckon painting is teh last thing on his mind.

all my ghetto engineering skills have been put to teh test this week, and so far they are all working.

stu however now has less hair than a bald man.

now if only the stress works on body hair he will be laughing  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

spit

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Hang in there guys - boost is only a whisker away. Having nattered with Stu today he sounds remarkably chirpy and not at all bald. He is obviously delegating the duties well  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I still think you should swap the tips over and 180 them - that'd look so cool  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

kanujunkie

well day 3 is now over and today was another bad one. after spending the morning trying to fix yesterday disaster with a damaged fitting, we ended up spending 4hrs trying to work out why the exhaust and intercooler wouldn't fit only to find out that the right hand exhaust tip was never tested for fit before it was sent out!! basically it doesn't fit and needs to be plugged up now  s:( :( s:(  

so fingers crossed it should  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  only take 2 hrs work to be able to start her up and then limp her to H&S for a full fix  s:? :? s:?  

watch this space but at the mo i'm beginning to wish i'd not started  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "kanujunkie"at the mo i'm beginning to wish i'd not started  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Just wail till you get everything sorted out, that'll make you forget all the worries and you keep wondering why you didn't do this earlier.  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Try to be patient with yourself and the car.

If its not any fun to do the work then stop.

Mine spent three weeks on jack stands and I didnt  have the problems you've had.

philster_d

Work has been insanely hectic, sorry I havent had a chance to pop over for a bit of moral support.

Best of luck,
Philster.

loadswine

Hang in there ! Boosted smiles are only just round the corner.  s:) :) s:)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

kanujunkie

10 mins to D-Day  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

ninjinski

Quote from: "kanujunkie"10 mins to D-Day  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Bring it on   s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D  

Cant wait to hear!
Sable

PERF: TTE TURBO & exhaust, BC Coilovers Markii inlet TRD brace SP Downpipe Exedy Cerametalic Clutch TRD Short Shifter w brass bushings EBC discs/pads OMP steering wheel, front diffuser
ICE: JVC headunit JBL P652s Alpine SWD1600 & 2000 woofers Kenwood 600W amp
EXTERNAL: Mr T spoiler. black brake calipers Dynamat Toyota dust caps Dev\'s keyhole covers Simon\'s hairpins
INTERNAL: Red leather Carbon sill guards TRD stickers Mongo deflectors Chrome gear & dial surrounds Gregg\'s custom logo plate Taurec gauges

Anonymous

Quote from: "kanujunkie"10 mins to D-Day  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

What are you doing on the site when you are 10 minutes away....   s:?: :?: s:?:  

Get back in that garage.....

Tags: