Window "Thing" Q

Started by Anonymous, June 1, 2006, 08:13

Anonymous

Forgive the title, but as Im a newb 2 owner I dont really know wot to call it!!

Well its only a small thing, but as always its gonna bug me til I get an answer.  s:) :) s:)  

Having taken the car to a car wash recently, I noticed on getting back in that some small amounts of water had entered the cabin via the front windows, which were fully 'up' prior to wash.(I made sure!!)

Now I had a bit of a ding about 3 weeks ago, and prior to that there was a 'Thing', kinda like a little plastic clip, which was attached to the rubber seal of the windscreen frame, bout halfway up, and when the window went up it would meet this.  Im sorry I dont know exactly what this bit is called!!  But perhaps it helped prevent this.....cos.........

prior to the ding I had one on the left hand side, not the right, and when I washed the car before, water would enter the RH side, but not the left.  Now for some reason Ive lost the LH side one too, and water comes in there as well!!

Can anyone tell me is this impotant?  And can I get a replacement anywhere?  Even more importantly, am I being a bit anal about this!!
  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
As I say its not a lot of water, and it doesnt come in when it rains, but should I fix it?

As always ur thoughts and p*** taking are most appreciated.  s:) :) s:)

northernalex

I've got the "clips" in place and when i wash the car using one of them jet hose thingies even if i'm carefull not to spray that bit, I do get a few drips of water into the car. Just like you its only when I wash it and not when its raining.  

Ive seen people comment on here before they theirs has snapped off over time and noone has complained about it being a major problem.

Not much use I know...

Best

Alex
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

red_leicester

I have one on the passenger side but not the drivers side.

I thought it was supposed to be that way.

When I wash it I get a few drips in the drivers side but not the passenger side.

Maybe I'm missing the same bit as Pottsy ?
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

Anonymous

Ahhh....now I know....

http://www.mr2roc.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2219

*edit*fixed link*Phil*

red_leicester

I see...

If you decide to get a new one, let us know how much they fleeced you for Pottsy    s:) :) s:)
[size=84]Jez[/size]

red_leicester

If anyone can clear this up it would be most appreciated.

Passenger's side window tab thingy:
 m http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=6/15209045016.jpg&s=f5 m

Driver's side:
 m http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=6/15209051743.jpg&s=f5 m

Looks like the one on the driver's side has been bent over the seal.
Is this how it should be ????

Thanks guys.
[size=84]Jez[/size]

aaronjb

They should both look like the passenger side one.

Often get caught in the window when closing the door and bent in like that - mine eventually fell out on both sides, so now I have none at all.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

red_leicester

Cheers Aaron.
[size=84]Jez[/size]

Anonymous

Nice bit of moss!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Sorry couldn't resist

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

Yep my passenger side clip bent down the same as your drivers side and water would wee-wee in, I just bent it back into position and all was well again  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Wabbitkilla

Aerodynamic control of surface water...

There is also this theory;
Due to thhe glass being frameless, when travelling in wet weather at speed this 'widget' interrupts the flow of surface water up the front glass edge. It lifts the majority of the water from the glass/seal and the earofoil effect 'sprays' it away from the car. This prevents excessive build up of water at the high pressepure point of the tail end of the glass/doorseal where it would leech into the cabing. It also reduces the amount of water captured along the top glass/roof interface reducing the amount dripping on you when you open the door.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

In the owners mannual it warns about spraying water towards the top window seals, car washes tend to spray water everywhere also maybe the brushes are pushing against the glass affecting the seal?

Personally I'd never take my car through a car wash they do all manner of nasty things including recycle dirty water often full of grit!  And no matter how soft they are the brushes scratch!

GSB

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Aerodynamic control of surface water...

There is also this theory;
Due to thhe glass being frameless, when travelling in wet weather at speed this 'widget' interrupts the flow of surface water up the front glass edge. It lifts the majority of the water from the glass/seal and the earofoil effect 'sprays' it away from the car. This prevents excessive build up of water at the high pressepure point of the tail end of the glass/doorseal where it would leech into the cabing. It also reduces the amount of water captured along the top glass/roof interface reducing the amount dripping on you when you open the door.

Or, alternativley, it just makes the leading edge of the glass that little bit more stable and secure when its hurled at the horizon at 130mph... Theres no aero trickery involved with these little bits of plastic, they simply provide a little bit more security to the unsupported edge of the glass, and help to guide it into the seal when theres a pressure difference between the inside and outside of the vehicle.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

no1trancefan

just found this thread my driver side has gone missing and is letting wind noise in, i contacted toyota dealer they cant find a part for it only the rubber

Jay67

Quote from: "no1trancefan"just found this thread my driver side has gone missing and is letting wind noise in, i contacted toyota dealer they cant find a part for it only the rubber
looking at the diagram it's part and parcel of the roof drip side moulding (rubber bit)
Jason

1999 Lagoon blue MR-S, lots of stuff

Tags: