Three questions

Started by Lady UK, October 4, 2003, 09:55

Lady UK

I have purchased a momo gear knob...this attaches by the small screws that tighten to the gear stick but after a short while (despite being put on by my local garage (twice) loosens and eventually starts wobbling.

If any of you have put one of these momo gear knobs on (same sort of screws attachment) then are you having similar problems?  The gear knob has been put on correctly and tightened but before I put my toyota standard gear knob back on .....??????  Is there a company that do the screw on gear knobs apart from Toyota?

For the oil to be topped up, seems like I have to use a funnel......being a lady (but capable) I have to access through the x bar that goes across the oil access.  I would like to know the best way to access getting the oil into the oil area, is there a light that comes up on the dash to warn the oil is low?....I do check the dipstick every two weeks (along with the tyre pressures)....the dipstick is not very clear and certainly a pain in the backside to get back in!

The plastic box at the underneath rear of the car ......I understand is a protection.  Could anyone give me further information on this please?

Many thanks....much appreciated!  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Anonymous

Re: the oil, at a service in my case they have always removed the rear tower brace to get decent access to add oil but a funnel with a flexible nozzle could do I suppose. More importantly I would surprised that you would have to add more oil outside of the services. I am at 21K and never had to top it up. I agree the dipstick is useless though and if it did show a drop, fair enough to add more but I would starting checking how much it is consuming over what distance. As regards the oil light I believe this measures oil pressure not quantity and if it comes on IMHO I would stop the vehicle immeadiately and get it recovered.

QuoteThe plastic box at the underneath rear of the car

If this is the plastic underguard, you are right about it being for protection. Can be removed with 10mm socket and there are some plastic clips as well.

markiii

momo do different inserts depending on the thickness of teh shaft measure it and make sure that the knob is a snug fit (its allowed to rotate but not wobble) before you put the screw in. If it's not snug speak to your supplier.

Mark
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Lady UK

s:) :) s:)  Thank you everyone for your valued help and support re my questions.

I am looking to get the momo gear knob threaded (a friend of mine has someone looking at the momo gear knob to have an insert put in and also threaded so that the rubbers supplied with the gear knob don't have to be used......hoping this can be done other than that i will contact Momo directly!

With regard to the protection plastic cover (underneath of rear) has anyone removed theirs and is this advisable!  Is there a modification cover that can be made or has been made that can be placed instead!

These covers do tend to spoil the back end look of the car and I am thinking of getting a rear skirt to hide this!
  s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

i took my plastic cover off about 6 months ago and have had no problems since - looks better without it in my opinion.
Get it off!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Jon

Anonymous

Jon,

Got a pic of it without the cover?

would like to see what it looks like.

S

Anonymous

The plastic undertrays (apparently) play an important part in directing airflow from under the car up through the engine bay (and out the grills in the back/top). Removing them could adversely affect cooling, at the very least.

Tem

FWIW, when I had the undertray on, the engine cover was too hot to touch after some slow speed driving. After I removed it, I can place my hand on the hood right after drive without burning myself  s:) :) s:)

Besides, some models in Japan come without it anyway. I'd bet it's just for the looks.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Lady UK

Thanks everyone so far for the advice in regard to the plastic protection  cover, seems to be a varied opinion - perhaps asking Mr. T. could clarify matters as I would like to remove this cover and if the car can do without it, I would sooner put it aside!  s:? :? s:?  

As the for momo gear knob, I have had a metal threaded ring made and inserted, so the gear knob now screws on secure!
  s:) :) s:)

mph

Quote from: "pmdye"The plastic undertrays (apparently) play an important part in directing airflow from under the car up through the engine bay (and out the grills in the back/top). Removing them could adversely affect cooling, at the very least.
I thought that, but, I don't see that it does. Mine is currently in the spare room (along with the hardtop, stock airfilter, suspension, a set of wheels, drip tray etc etc..) due to it disagreeing with my exhaust so I had a good look over the weekend. It will certainly aid the airflow under the car, but I don't see that it has a 'scoop' to draw the air up.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Tags: