Hardtop

Started by Anonymous, October 4, 2003, 14:52

Anonymous

hi people,

I'm looking to buy my first MR2 roadster (1 years no claims but am determined!)

Was thinking about the lagoon blue with hardtop, but cant find a used one anywhere! (im only 22 working on a 13,000 budget.

I have found one with a/c but no hardtop supplied (maybe they lost it!) - does anyone know if i could simply buy a hardtop for it?

by the way, i'm new, hope u people dont mind me joining your happy little group!

Steven

Anonymous

You can find the odd hard top come up for sale, and the parts to fit it are available from Toyota direct.

Hard tops usually sell for about £400 second hand - you could buy one in a different colour and then get it sprayed, but if you can find a blue one then i would snap it up (i missed out and regret it now).

The parts will cost about £200 from toyota, depending on if you are willing to cut your own panels or not... if you want the whole kit it will cost you about £350ish...

Hope that helps.

If you want some pics of a Lagoon Blue or a few other colours, check out  m http://www.mr2-roadster.co.uk m  or  m http://www.mr2-photos.co.uk m

oh, and welcome to the club!   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

The one i have seen already has the clips etc for the hardtop, but the hardtop itself hasnt been supplied with the car (very strange - not sure if i trust the dealer)

Thanks for the links, been struggling to find good pics since i made the choice to get the MR2.

you have no idea how hard it is to find a blue one here in scotlant for less than £13,000.

been reading some of the horror stories in the troubleshooting section, trying my best not to let it put me off getting my dream car!

thanks again

S

Anonymous

I've just had a look through Mr T's used MR2 list, and they've got:

In blue they have:
May 2002, 9939miles, SMT, AC+Hardtop £16995
April 2002, 12723miles, AC+Hardtop+Leather, £15495
May 2002, 15000miles, AC+Hardtop+Leather, £15995

All a bit out of your price range though.  At a guess you'll need to go 2000/2001 for 13K with hardtop.  Also bear in mind that cars that came originally with hardtops will also have A/C, and that the AC Hardtop option is £2400 extra... so a pricey car to start with.

Now, if you get one without a hardtop there are a few sources where you can get the roof and other fitting parts, but they're not cheap (they don't include Aircon, so that drops the price quite nicely from £2400 though).

The cheapest option seems to be to buy the roof of someone who's selling theirs (either because they don't need/want it, or 'cause they pranged their '2).

Hope you get one soon.

markiii

why confine yourself to scotland?

If buying from a dealer a cheap flight down, and a fun drive back up?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Currently driving a rover 416 (dont expel me from the forum, it was a first car and ive seen the errors of my ways and hence am looking for the mr2!) - want to trade it in when i get my 2 - saves the hassle of selling it privately.

just got a call from a friend of mine with a silver 2 - someone has run a key along it from front right lamp to back left lamp............... she is gutted.

anyone know a bank i could rob so without getting caught so i can buy a new 2? mmmmmmmmm lagoon blue with black leather.........!!!!

markiii

Have you spoken to Toyota about their finance plans?

You could probably use the Rover as deposit and finance the rest. Either equal payments or smaller monthlys with a balloon.

Something to think about as your only around £2500 short of teh price of a new one.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

I have spoken to Toyota, but being only 22 they didnt seem to take me seriously (left a bitter taste but i will show them!!) havent contemplated the balloon option, however might have a look into it.

Think i may be little too far off a new one considering i want hard top and air con aswell.......

Anonymous

When i was looking i wanted a hard top and leather, but i have neather and get on fine without them.

I would like a HT but only cos i dont have a garage - leather is something you can add later and get a nice custom job done for a little more than MR T charge for their leather.

markiii

not wishing to add to your problem, but at 22 have you got teh insurance quote yet? might be interesting to say the least.

If you haven't try getting a quote from Dorset Insurance under the terms of teh MR2 Drivers Club Policy. Club membership costs £30 pa but you normally save heaps more on the premium.

Kris is right if a hardtop is a must have then leave the leather til later.

Though having the hardtop myself I don't use it that often so if it were a choice betwen a second hand one with hardtop or brand new without, I think I'd get a new one and worry about the hardtop  later.

Do what Kris is doing and get the fixing kit in a few months, fir it amd them just wait for a hardtop to appear. Or source it from Japan when you have the funds.

Mark.

Anonymous

living in Scotland, I need the hard top, otherwise the soft top will take a battering from all that cold harsh weather we get up here! (ive got the heating on today its that cold!)

Im not so fussed on the leather bit - would be nice to get the black leather but would settle for the black cloth. (dont like the red cloth one little bit!)

Been looking at the price of new ones also, coming in at 18K at least for a new one with a hard top! never bought a new car before but dont think Id be able to afford a new one. got a budget of £250 a month - with a trade in car worth about £1500. something tells me i may have to bend over backwards to make my dream come true..........

god its depressing!!!

S

Tem

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"Hard tops usually sell for about £400 second hand

They do..??  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anyone wanna sell me a red one?  s:) :) s:)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Done the insurance quote.

Currently paying £1300 a year for my rover (group 12) with no years no claims (get my first year in november).

Directline have offered me £1300 a year as of november for a "2".
wanted a "2" since i saw one on the rad when they came out, so am willing to continue paying £1300 a year to insure one if that is what it takes!

Im tired of gettin the mickey taken by friends also, im competing with a Celica GT4 import (i wont even compete with my "2" but i will be happy), a prelude (easy), a BMW 3 series and a MG ZS 2.0TD.

Needless to say my little 416 has struggled on our convoy ventures around the country, time to get something that will laugh at those corners on the A68!

At 22 these little competitions amongst peers mean the world!!!

I'm not vain, honest - just a boy who wants to be noticed!!

S

Anonymous

JumpingFlame,

You should log on to  w www.confused.com w  as they visit loaaads of insurance websites with your details.  That'll give you a realistic idea of what you'll end up paying to insure a '2'.

I'd say you're definetly peeing in the right pot with your choice of spec.  I've got a Lagoon Blue with hardtop but not leather.  Leather would be the icing on the cake but as the other folks rightly say - there's nothing to stop you getting a custom job when the time is right.

Good luck   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

y not try to import one?
i got mine 4 12k
2000 blue with hard top and aircon 11k on the clock

Anonymous

wouldnt even know where to start when it came to importing.........

does it not also bang up the insurance????

S

Anonymous

Hi,
I'm new on the list so excuse me if this has been asked before!
Should the aircon roadsters come with a hardtop? Also do the roadsters that are shown and advertised as hardtop come with a softop?

I'm hoping to buy a roadster in the next few months and I'm trying to get plenty of info about what I should be looking for and try not to get ripped off.

I would be grateful for any feedback
Cheers
Stu

Anonymous

You can get AC seperatly, but if they have a factory fitted hard top, then it should come with AC.

Yes, the soft top simply sits under the hard top in the folded down position, so if you get one with a hard top, the soft top will be folded under it.

HTH

Slacey

If you take a look at the picture below, what looks like a parcel shelf behind the seat is the folded soft top....

Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Slacey,

Ive just fallen in love with the black "2" - that looks yummy!!!

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Quote from: "jumpingflame"wouldnt even know where to start when it came to importing.........

does it not also bang up the insurance????

S

somthing like http://www.neweraimports.com/ will help you source the car u need in japan (will all spec etc) when they find it you'll pay them a disposit and the'll ship the car over, once it shiped to the uk u'll look at the car and if u like it u buy it.......

in surance is a bit higher on an import but shoulded be by that much....
i pay £800 in london (only 24)

Anonymous

Quoteliving in Scotland, I need the hard top, otherwise the soft top will take a battering from all that cold harsh weather we get up here! (ive got the heating on today its that cold!)

I'm in Scotland and I get on fine without a hardtop even in the depths of winter (i.e. from August to April!!). However, I have air-con and the car heats up in no time on winter mornings - roof down or up.

Anonymous

QuoteI'm in Scotland and I get on fine without a hardtop even in the depths of winter (i.e. from August to April!!).

I can confirm that. Soft top will be just fine if you wash / treat it regularly  to get rid of all the salt, bird sh*t and other dirt that it picks up as a matter of course.

Ally.

Anonymous

Hi Thanks for the reply, just one other thing...is it easy to take the hard top off or is this a once a year job.
Thanks in advance
Stu

markiii

it's not heavy but size wise it's a 2 person job.

unless you have a garage, then get a winch and no problem.

Tags: