Handeling and Suspension Advice

Started by Anonymous, June 3, 2006, 11:20

Anonymous

Hi Guys,

looking for some Advice, Want to go about improving the handleing of the car, but dont want to spend money where its not needed,

I already have corkys brest plate and ches front brace, Im now going looking for cusco front strut bar, dont know whether to tip my toe into rear bracing Id either buy ches one or the c one version but not sure what if any difference theyd make

What about lowering the car Im fasinated by Rogue sports tein set up as used by phil by its probabley over kill. Im sure standard springs would be ok.

Im also going to change the brake pads, prob trd at front, standard at rear and go for stainless steel  brake lines. Would I be able to feel a difference, also should I look at changing rotors,

The Cars only coming up on 50k and I don,t believe its been driven hard by previous owners (the last 15 under me has only been spirted)

So what do you think whats worth doing and whats not?

Thanks Kj

markiii

unless your unhappy with the brakes first mods in order would be

TTE springs
Cusco front bar
che rear (LOwer) braces

the upper rear brace is nice but really only looks TBH

Teins are nice but at that price you have to be sure
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Ernie Ball

Mark,

Are you happy with your sportivo setup?  Would you recommend it?

I seem to remember you saying at one point that you bought it in the states and took it home as luggage.  How did you do it??  s:? :? s:?   How big is the box?

I'm thinking about it...

markiii

Sportivo hmmmm

I like it but it's quite a lot firmer than the TTE springs with stock shocks

which is good or bad depending on the roads near you.

it's a little firm for my current tastes so I'm thinking of keeping the shocks but changing teh springs to TTE ones which are rated a little softer

ref getting it back in luggae I was fortunate that this was when weight limits were a little more flexible and it was also a company trip so I didn't pay excess baggage

if I was doing that again I would say you won't get more than 2 shocks or 2 springs in a single suitace and still get away within the weight limit.

not an issue if you have company so double teh luggage allowance

additionally most arlines allow you to fly golf clubs free, since teh sway bars are way to long for conventional luggage I'd bubble wrap them and stick them in cheap golf carry bag like youget from argos for £11

I carried mine through the green channell in a box marked TRD so it was a little obvios and surprising I got away with it.

having driven Phils though for teh same price as the sportivo you can get teh teins, so it's a no brainer. Get the teins
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Ernie Ball

Thanks, Mark.

Yeah, the SuperStreets are the other option I'm toying with but if I'm going to do that, I may as well get the EFDC.

And that probably means a ferry to Old Blighty at which point the incentive will be strong to stock up on other gear....

At which point, I guess I'll just go without food for six months.  And with the weight savings, the car will go even faster.  s:) :) s:)

The Teins are a lot cheaper in the US but on the Carson Toyota site it says they are for US spec '2s only.  Can this possibly be true?

markiii

well my sportivo was US stock and that fitted fine so I would say they will be fine

Anonymous

I posted a email to some crowd in the the north who do teins, never got a reply but It would be great if I could get it done here in Ireland,

markiii

Rogue is doing teh teis for around £800 at the mo

fitting is easy DIY

Anonymous

Hi Kj

If you speak to Patrick at Rogue I think you might still be able to have them fitted for free.

If you can stretch to having the EDFC fitted you will be sooooooooooo pleased, worth every penny  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D  

Tein is expensive but everything is so balanced, but be warned they are not a soft ride, even on setting 16 - the softest it's like a rally car, it's down to what you want out of the ride, I love it this way but it may not be every ones taste.

I think Phil would also agree with this.

Thanks
Rob

Ernie Ball

Quote from: "FGRob"Tein is expensive but everything is so balanced, but be warned they are not a soft ride, even on setting 16 - the softest it's like a rally car, it's down to what you want out of the ride, I love it this way but it may not be every ones taste.

Hmmm.  You may have put me off them.  I just assumed that the adjustable dampers went from something like stock (for when I'm carting old ladies to the supermarket) to something like a race car.

Another question: with coilovers like the Teins, are thicker anti-roll bars just overkill or do they also add something to the handling?

philster_d

Soft seting is like driving in a deep carpet

Ernie Ball

Quote from: "philster_d"Soft seeting is like driving in a deep carpet

Does that mean you disagree with FGRob?

kanujunkie

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  you gotta love Phils cryptic answers  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ernie Ball"
Quote from: "FGRob"Tein is expensive but everything is so balanced, but be warned they are not a soft ride, even on setting 16 - the softest it's like a rally car, it's down to what you want out of the ride, I love it this way but it may not be every ones taste.

Hmmm.  You may have put me off them.  I just assumed that the adjustable dampers went from something like stock (for when I'm carting old ladies to the supermarket) to something like a race car.

Another question: with coilovers like the Teins, are thicker anti-roll bars just overkill or do they also add something to the handling?

The thing about the ride is when you are setting a good pace on a nice twisty bit of road the Tein comes into it's own, it's only when you get on a bad section of road it can be a little uncomfortable, if like me, you are thinking of doing some track days you just push a button and away you go  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D  

That's my next up-grade, not sure which to go for, the other up-grade to have done is either a Cusco or TRD brace that does just tie the whole thing together.

But again it's all down to what you want out of the car.

Thanks
Rob

philster_d

"I cant believe how planted your car feels" Markiii 2006

Anonymous

Carpet and plants not sure about that  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Come on Phil give him an answer  s:D :D s:D

philster_d

Im driving on about level 3 at the moment.

initialy I was popping it onto 16 for the motorways and it realy soaks up the bumps (feels like deep carpet)

Set harder I can feel everything and balance the car at 100mph through a long corner without worrying about traction. I can feel it!

Anonymous

Quote from: "philster_d"I'm driving on about level 3 at the moment.

initialy I was popping it onto 16 for the motorways and it realy soaks up the bumps (feels like deep carpet)

Set harder I can feel everything and balance the car at 100mph through a long corner without worrying about traction. I can feel it!

I'm tending to run at 14 which I think is a fair compromise for the roads where I live, if I pushing it I will go up to 8 which at speed does give the car a great balanced feel.

Thinking about I understand what you mean about motorway driving, especially the concrete sections  s:? :? s:?  

Thanks
Rob

philster_d

I might tend to run 3 front and 4 back or something.

Ernie Ball

I feel like I'm talking to Master Po on Kung Fu (sorry if this is before your time). s:? :? s:?    Every response is like a riddle!

Now I've got 3 questions in need of a clear answer:

1) Can the Teins be adjusted to be somewhere close to stock for grandma?

2) Does a beefier ARB add anything?

3) Carson says the Teins are height adjustable as well as damper force adjustable.  Is this true?  I've had conflicting information.

philster_d

1) What is stock ?

2) Stop rolling ?  no seriously I dont know the answer to this one

3) Carson speaks the truth, ride height is adjustable (with spanners) and damping is by twisting something (in my case twisted electronicaly)

I came from a lowered mk2 turbo with a rock hard suspension, to the point where you had to avoid potholes. The mk3 has never felt that extreeme.

I suppose its also relavent to the hardness of the ride which size wheels you run, 15 with have more rubber. On 17 there is less forgivingness as the tyres are more or less painted on    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ernie Ball"I feel like I'm talking to Master Po on Kung Fu (sorry if this is before your time). s:? :? s:?    Every response is like a riddle!

Now I've got 3 questions in need of a clear answer:

1) Can the Teins be adjusted to be somewhere close to stock for grandma?

2) Does a beefier ARB add anything?

3) Carson says the Teins are height adjustable as well as damper force adjustable.  Is this true?  I've had conflicting information.

I think Phils tried to answer your points, but it is difficult, my take on your questions are:

1. Stock is difficult to define but I would say it would be hard to make it that soft - unless you adopt point 3 below, the only suggestion would be to get your gran some stronger denture fixing - only joking  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

2. Yes it stops body roll which means when cornering hard your wheels are level and the car remains square to the road which makes for better cornering - if you know what I mean  s:? :? s:?

3. Yes they are height adjustable, mine are currently set at 20mm which makes the top of the tyre just about level with the arch. The thing is with Tein the lower you have the car the more compression you are putting the spring under, which again will alter the stiffness of the car, so in theory the taller the car the softer the spring will be, I think the minimum height drop is something like 15mm. - I think.

The best thing to do is get on a ferry and come and try mine out.

Thanks
Rob

Anonymous

s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  This is going to sound stupid but how do you adjust the height? What I want to know is if I have a strut bar and the edfc added how awkward would the adjust be?

Steve I got a quote back from Tuninkworx in the north
QuoteHi Kj

We can fit and setup your suspension kit £200
The Superstreet kit with top mounts is £760 + vat
The EDFC is £220 + vat

Many Thanks
Michael
TUNINWORX
02890 449797

Thats not really any cheaper but I figure again u factor in the price of ferries its not bad

Still waiting on a couple of others to get back

Ernie Ball

Quote from: "kj"Thats not really any cheaper but I figure again u factor in the price of ferries its not bad

Still waiting on a couple of others to get back

I guess it all depends whether Rogue would really fit them for free if you buy from them.  That would be like getting the ferry (and a meet-up with other MR2Rocstars) for free.

P.S. We do call them MR2Rocstars, don't we?  s:D :D s:D

juansolo

Quote from: "kj"looking for some Advice, Want to go about improving the handleing of the car, but dont want to spend money where its not needed

I'm going to be controversial and ask the question: What do you think is wrong with the standard setup?  Your answer to that should decide what mods to do first.  For example you want to cut down on the scuttle shake/chassis flexing then there are all manner of braces that can be fitted.  If you want to alter the stance of the car for cosmetic reasons then you just need lowering springs.  You want to change the way the car turns in/under/oversteers then it can be as simple as a geo setup, different tyres or even just playing with tyre pressures.

IMO the Mk3 (certainly the later model with the bigger rear wheels) is very well sorted out of the box.  Unless you've strapped on a turbo, the standard brakes are excellent and more than capable of stopping the car consistantly for a 20min session of very hard track driving, which is as hard a treatment as the car should ever get.  Added to this the fact that they're also keen from cold then I'd leave them well alone.  If you're having trouble I'd be worried that maybe the fluid has been boiled at some point or that the pads are shot.  In which case a simple fluid/pad change should sort it.  Braided lines in theory stop the flexible brake hoses from expanding under pressure when the fluid is hot, giving a spongy pedal...  Again, unless you have problems with a spongy pedal you're just throwing money at a problem you more than likely don't have.  Same goes for the discs, why swap them for something else unless you're having a problem with the braking?  Slotted brakes will just make your pads last half as long as normal, drilled ones will save you a small amount of unsprung weight, but if you're going down that route you'd be better getting lighter wheels first.

I'm of the same opinion of the suspension.  The handling of the standard car is really very, very good.  It's nicely balanced, chuckable and progressive.  I can understand someone wanting to lower it for cosmetic reasons as it does look like it's on tippytoes, but if there is something wrong with the handling, the first port of call should be to make sure all the wheels are pointing in the direction they're supposed to with a geo check as the car should handle well stock.  If you want to stiffen it up for a more 'sporty' drive, again, fair enough.  If you're wanting to tweak it's turn in you can do so for free as the car is very suseptable to small changes in tyre pressure.  Lower it at the front to aid turn in, raise it at the rear to make the backend more lively.  You don't have to do it much to alter the balance of the car quite a lot.

FWIW and very much all IMO, I have no problems at all with people modifying their cars, I just think that if you're doing it for perfomance reasons you should have a very good idea what you want to get out of them.  Usually they are to address limitations of the car, but I don't think the Mk3 really has many as it's that good.  It's easier if you're dramatically raising the power as the standard kit will start to reach it's limits and you will need beefier brakes, etc.  But in standard trim, if you're wanting to go faster I think spending some cash on a trackday and getting some tuition is probably a better and more effective way to get the same result.
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Tags: