Handeling and Suspension Advice

Started by Anonymous, June 3, 2006, 11:20

juansolo

I could have really summed all that waffle with: If it ain't broke, why fix it?    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:     s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "kj":oops: This is going to sound stupid but how do you adjust the height? What I want to know is if I have a strut bar and the edfc added how awkward would the adjust be?

Steve I got a quote back from Tuninkworx in the north
QuoteHi Kj

We can fit and setup your suspension kit £200
The Superstreet kit with top mounts is £760 + vat
The EDFC is £220 + vat

Many Thanks
Michael
TUNINWORX
02890 449797

Thats not really any cheaper but I figure again u factor in the price of ferries its not bad

Still waiting on a couple of others to get back

The adjustment of the height - should you want to after it is set is very simple, you adjust from the inside of the wheel arch, using two large C spanners, you don't even need to open the bonnet.

That price is not to bad if it includes the EDFC, Rogue only fit the struts for free the EDFC they charge extra for I think something like £30 per hour and it normally takes about 2 -3 hours.

Thanks
Rob

Anonymous

Quote from: "juansolo"I could have really summed all that waffle with: If it ain't broke, why fix it?    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:     s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Yep that would be a better way of putting it.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   But on the other hand if you want to have more fun then you have to have a go at messing around - I supposed like you have done with your Westfield.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Thanks
Rob

Ernie Ball

Quote from: "juansolo"I could have really summed all that waffle with: If it ain't broke, why fix it?    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:     s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Not sure that the dictum is applicable here.  We're not talking about things that are binary in nature (off/on, broken/fixed).  We're talking about things for which there is a wide range of costs and benefits.

Sure, it isn't broken right out of the box.  But it can always be improved.  Hence the desire for further modifications.

Now, if it turns out that the further modifications make the car worse, well, then we have a problem.  But I don't expect that that's the case with the Teins.

Anyway, it's fun to improve the car and it's less fun to leave it as is.

aaronjb

But why break the habit of a lifetime?  s;) ;) s;)  *ducks*  s:) :) s:)

One thing I will say - having been out in Stu's car (which has TTE springs and that's all, IIRC) with Mark driving - it went round roundabouts *far* far faster than I would ever dare drive on the road as it was...
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

The first Mods I did was Fit a Corkys Brest Plate and Ches front member brace and the difference it makes is scary....So much better, more direct, more everything really!

Before this Id never really been into modding but these simple changes opened my eyes.

What I want to find out what other mods really make a difference the way these two mods did,

Ive also fitted a PPE header and Cat and Markiiis Inlet. Ill prob get a dual exhaust at some stage but thats as far as I want to go with engine mods

The way I see it this car is all about handeling and personnal performance and the enjoyment that brings rather than straight bhp gains

That to me means suspension mods and mods to what your actually using in the car, brakes, gear changes the pieces your hands and feet communicate with.

Ive never been to happy with the brakes, I know everyone loves them but Ive never had ABS before and feel cheated when I dont lock a wheel when I mess up, I do find the pedal a bit spongy so I entend bleeding and changing the brake fluid and prob change to stainless steel lines while Im at it.

I may change to a stainless steel clutch line also. I now that its prob pointless but if it ads to extra feel and communication with the car than in my book it worh it.

In terms of suspension mods Im probabley going to start hitting the diminishing returns thing.

Corkys and Ches front brace made a massive change, a strut bar will prob improve things but only slightly,

Uprating sway bars prob would give me a bit more feel

As to lowering the car I know the teins are probabley overkill and I prob wont do it only because of price but the are a fantastic piece of kit and have to be on everyones wish list.

juansolo

Quote from: "FGRob"

Yep that would be a better way of putting it.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   But on the other hand if you want to have more fun then you have to have a go at messing around - I supposed like you have done with your Westfield.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Ah, but by it's very nature the Westfield is the ultimate in tinkering with setup given that there is no real set standard as a base to start from.  As such it's usually something that's not right that I'm trying to fix rather than any subtle tuning.  That way I always have set goals with it, which are usually quite simple to achive.  Conversely the Scooby has had a geo setup and is otherwise completely standard.  I can however cause the brakes to fade so when I've worn them out I'll fit a set of Pagids that should sort that out.

As I say it depends what you want.  If you want to adjust the cars handling, go for it.  If you actually want to go quicker I reckon the standard car is such a good baseline that you'd get more benefit from driver training.

markiii

for what it's worth let me add a few more pennies

Toyota changed teh shocks for 03 onwards and they are far better than pre03

for 90% of people with an 03 TTE springs will be more than enough. It's not far off Sportivo handling levels and is more comfortable for day to day driving to boot.

now if you've decided for one reason or another y0ou need more than that read on.

Sportivo is a great out of the box, no tweaking solution. it's very goo for both road and for track but has limitations for both as well. I'd like it harder on track and softer on the road. However if you have no requirement for adjustability and what fit and forget it can't be beaten.

If your prepared to or want to play with settings, like the idea of changing stuff when you feel like it, then the teins should be bought over the sprtivo as they are better in all respects and the same price for teh most part these days.

with regardsto Fronts strut brace if you have any car other than a very late 05 with the HUGE amount of extra bracing it will make a massive difference no matter what other bracing you have. 5mm movementin teh top suspension towers is huge.

oh and if you have the PPe and want a dual exhaust speak to Stu, he has a TTE for sale and it's the best exhaust IMHO with teh PPE.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

juansolo

Quote from: "aaronjb"

But why break the habit of a lifetime?  s;) ;) s;)  *ducks*  s:) :) s:)

One thing I will say - having been out in Stu's car (which has TTE springs and that's all, IIRC) with Mark driving - it went round roundabouts *far* far faster than I would ever dare drive on the road as it was...

I suspect most of that would be down to the driver, his ability and confidence with the car.

Anonymous

Right on KJ, what's the point in having one if you can't mod it.

I know what you mean about the Tein's, I had great problems explaining the bill when it came through on visa  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  Had to sell a few things on Ebay  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"with regardsto Fronts strut brace if you have any car other than a very late 05 with the HUGE amount of extra bracing it will make a massive difference no matter what other bracing you have. 5mm movementin the top suspension towers is huge.

Yep I can honestly say it makes a vast difference, I had the Teins fitted and it was great - but the rear veiw mirror was shaking all over the place, especially going around long fast bumpy bend, I put a Cusco on the front and the mirror does not move and the car feels 100% planted to the road  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Ernie Ball

I third the vote for the front strut brace.  I put the Corky's and Che's on and it made a huge difference.  But when I put the FSB on, it made just as much (subjective) improvement.  Now there is very little scuttle shake and everything feels so much more planted.

Anonymous

Hi Steve

Fancy keeping in touch about this. Ive emailed everyone in ireland at this stage who sells teins, if we can get a good price on one we might get a better one for two.

Ill let you know as more quotes come in

Ernie Ball

Quote from: "kj"Hi Steve

Fancy keeping in touch about this.

Excellent.  Maybe we could get a group buy going.  Perhaps our friend up north with the TTE turbo will also be interested...

Mind, I'm not sure when I'm going to do a suspension upgrade.  It might not be until April when my SSIA matures...

Anonymous

QuoteMind, I'm not sure when I'm going to do a suspension upgrade. It might not be until April when my SSIA matures...

Yeah Im supposed to be building a garage (with a pit naturally!!) and not bumming around looking at bits for the car.

Can anyone put me the right way as to what model cusco bar I need if I want to keep the front cover and whos the cheapest for it

juansolo

Quote from: "Ernie Ball"

Not sure that the dictum is applicable here.  We're not talking about things that are binary in nature (off/on, broken/fixed).  We're talking about things for which there is a wide range of costs and benefits.

Sure, it isn't broken right out of the box.  But it can always be improved.  Hence the desire for further modifications.

Not binary as in bad/good.  But there must be a reason and a goal otherwise why do it?  Even if the reason is that you want it to roll a bit less, over/understeer a bit less/more, you want it to dive less under braking, it's ride is too soft/firm, you might want to bias it more to track or road, you might want a fully adjustable setup to do both or play around with, etc.  The list goes on...

Anonymous

Quote from: "kj"Can anyone put me the right way as to what model cusco bar I need if I want to keep the front cover and whos the cheapest for it

I got mine from Japan try this site  m http://www.takakaira.co.jp/ m

I think it cost me £100 sterling all in - no customs to pay normally they deliver within 2 weeks, the same bar over here is £125 plus delivery.

The model I've got is Part No 14664  Type OS Front Strut  MR-S  US$139

Hope this helps.

Rob

Anonymous

Thanks Rob,

In reply to Juan, I think with out realising you prob have a advantage on most of us.

I know I can only speak for myself but like many other Mr2 Roadster owners this is my first rear wheel, never mind mid engineered car, most of us havent extensive track time. We dont know if we want it to roll a bit less, over/understeer a bit less/more, you want it to dive less under braking, it's ride is too soft/firm, you might want to bias it more to track or road,     .........were only begining to learn what we like

like I say I can only truly talk for myself but I imagine that the majority of us are in the same boat

Sorry for any spelling or puct. just back from bar!! (was good nite)

juansolo

Fairy nuff.  It's no secret that I'm not big on modding for the sake of it, but each to their own of course *thumbs up*  That's not to say that it's not worth doing, not at all, I just have to have a reason to do it.  My Mr2 for example had the MarkII induction pipe and TRD filter (because I couldn't hear the engine) and I ran it on Yokoneovas (because I cooked the Bridgestones and prefered the way the car handled on them).  Had I kept it and kept tracking it, I might have had some work done on the suspension at some point.  Good though it was, I'd have probably gone for something adjustable just so I could play around with it.

Ernie Ball

Other than appearance mods, I don't think anybody is modding for the sake of it.

If you want to adjust your suspension, it's because you want to lower the centre of gravity, reduce roll and squat and dive among other things.  Wanting those aren't personal preferences: they are essential to making the car perform better.  Ah, but what does "perform better" mean?

It's true that, if the goal is to go as fast as possible, driver instruction might be more helpful than modding the suspension.  But then why buy a '2 (or any performance car) in the first place?  Just take some driving lessons and drive an Avensis....

I think for most of us the goal isn't to go as fast as possible.  The goal is to make the car as responsive as possible, so that it feels maximally integrated with both driver and road at any speed.

juansolo

Because an Avensis isn't a very good track car, whereas the Mr2 is.  Driver tuition can get you to the stage where the limiting factor is the car, then you mod/change the car.  Even with the standard car, I suspect not everyone is actually exploiting what they've already got to it's potential.

Good discussion this!  *thumbs up*

Ernie Ball

Quote from: "juansolo"Because an Avensis isn't a very good track car, whereas the Mr2 is.  Driver tuition can get you to the stage where the limiting factor is the car, then you mod/change the car.

OK, but it only makes sense to talk about the "limiting factor" being the car if the goal is to go as fast as possible.  If the goal is to make the car more responsive to the road (which can't be changed) and the driver (such as he/she is) so that the car is as "transparent" as possible and does what the driver wants it to do, then it doesn't make as much sense.  If someone says "I want to make this car as responsive to my commands and the road as possible" it doesn't make much sense to say "work on yourself."

A car is a tool like any other.  People want nice tools that are best suited for the job they do.  All hammers hammer but some are better than others.  If I have a bad one, I can always make adjustments in my hammering.  I can "make do."  Or I can upgrade the hammer.  But if I choose to upgrade the hammer, it doesn't make too much sense to me for someone to say "you should have just improved your hammering to use that bad hammer to its full potential."

QuoteEven with the standard car, I suspect not everyone is actually exploiting what they've already got to it's potential.

Potential to do what?  I think this only makes sense if you're thinking the goal is to drive as fast as possible.  For me, that's a side effect of the integration of road and car and driver, which is the real goal.

Can you tell that I did philosophy at university?  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

QuoteCan you tell that I did philosophy at university?

Yeah its begining to show  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Agree with you though,

I know Im not driving my car to anywhere near its potential but unfortunatley my drive to work dosnt take me along the nurburguring!!

But I can feel the effect of the extra bracing going around a local roundabout at 40km. Im sure the car can take the turn much faster but Im not sure my licence could!!

juansolo

Can't argue with philosophy, I took computer science at college so it's all one's and naughts for me   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Sorry to resurect an old thread but I've been looking at teins again! Just don't understand what the benifits of the upper mounts are. I have a vague understandin g that You can adjust camber with them, is this right?

Tags: