Handbrake failure

Started by kanujunkie, June 6, 2006, 09:45

kanujunkie

we went to a friends place last night and whilst i was stood there looking out the window what do i see but the car slowly rolling past but the 2!!!!!

looks like the handbrakes failed  s:( :( s:(  , Mr.T's going to look at it tomorrow but it aint good, fortunatley it only clipped a curb and not anything else
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

ninjinski

whew mate that was lucky nothing worse happened!!!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Sable

PERF: TTE TURBO & exhaust, BC Coilovers Markii inlet TRD brace SP Downpipe Exedy Cerametalic Clutch TRD Short Shifter w brass bushings EBC discs/pads OMP steering wheel, front diffuser
ICE: JVC headunit JBL P652s Alpine SWD1600 & 2000 woofers Kenwood 600W amp
EXTERNAL: Mr T spoiler. black brake calipers Dynamat Toyota dust caps Dev\'s keyhole covers Simon\'s hairpins
INTERNAL: Red leather Carbon sill guards TRD stickers Mongo deflectors Chrome gear & dial surrounds Gregg\'s custom logo plate Taurec gauges

kanujunkie

could so easily have been worse, Mr.T tried to say that theres small brake shoes in the calipers that must have worn, new one on me i thought there was the main pads and thats it, me thinks theres some bull going on here  s:? :? s:?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "kanujunkie"Mr.T tried to say that theres small brake shoes in the calipers that must have worn, new one on me i thought there was the main pads and thats it, me thinks theres some bull going on here  s:? :? s:?

Local T said the same to me!

It's the main pads through a wire in real life though. But if they want to replace small brake shoes, please let them do so. Don't forget to ask for their part numbers for future though!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

(don't you leave your car in gear?)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

heathstimpson

My drive is on a slope and I dread that one day its going to roll away. I worry that if I leave it in gear I will forgot @ 5 in the morning and crunch the balcony pillar 2" in front of where I park  s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

aaronjb

Quote from: "kanujunkie"could so easily have been worse, Mr.T tried to say that theres small brake shoes in the calipers that must have worn, new one on me i thought there was the main pads and thats it, me thinks theres some bull going on here  s:? :? s:?

Yep, some definite bull going on there..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "heathstimpson"My drive is on a slope and I dread that one day its going to roll away. I worry that if I leave it in gear I will forgot @ 5 in the morning and crunch the balcony pillar 2" in front of where I park  s:? :? s:?

same here i know ill end up in my garage door if i leave it in gear   s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Quote from: "heathstimpson"I worry that if I leave it in gear I will forgot @ 5 in the morning and crunch the balcony pillar 2" in front of where I park  s:? :? s:?
Ah, the beauty of SMT!  It won't start unless it's in neutral and your foot on the brake pedal.

kanujunkie

hmmm, wonder if i could wire the same thing up on mine  s:? :? s:?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "nic_wigan"
Quote from: "heathstimpson"My drive is on a slope and I dread that one day its going to roll away. I worry that if I leave it in gear I will forgot @ 5 in the morning and crunch the balcony pillar 2" in front of where I park  s:? :? s:?

same here i know ill end up in my garage door if i leave it in gear   s:? :? s:?

You should notice it the moment you turn the key and it probably won't even start.  s8) 8) s8)

I have a habit of flooring the clutch and brake pedals and making sure the stick is in neutral before I start. Just in case. I have tried to drive off with the handbrake engaged several times though, cause I only use it on very steep hills, like once a year or so.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

i think i check  the handbrake is in neutral about 500 times before i start up and i know ive checked it and i still have to check again   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

aaronjb

Quote from: "nic_wigan"check  the handbrake is in neutral

Ermmmmmm...  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Liz

You got a balcony!!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "nic_wigan"

You should notice it the moment you turn the key and it probably won't even start.  s8) 8) s8)

I have a habit of flooring the clutch and brake pedals and making sure the stick is in neutral before I start. Just in case. I have tried to drive off with the handbrake engaged several times though, cause I only use it on very steep hills, like once a year or so.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
I generally always start up with the clutch depressed as its good practise and check its in neutral,  but when half asleep leaving for a dayshift I worry that just maybe one day I will forget  s:? :? s:?

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Liz"

You got a balcony!!
Oh yes its cheaper up north that's why I left London  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  My bedroom sits above the double garage which has french doors leading to a full length balcony with nice views. Should have moved up my way and saved yourself a fortune Liz  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

kanujunkie

problem is i need more feet, normally i would have pressed the clutch and brake then turn the key, but now with the turbo fitted i need to press the clutch, brake and accelerator before i turn the key  s:? :? s:?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

roger

Quote from: "heathstimpson"My bedroom sits above the double garage which has french doors leading to a full length balcony with nice views.

....until the MK Development Corporation add a few thousand more houses   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

jonytom

Quote from: "heathstimpson"up north

Milton Keynes! Cor blimey govn'r, you're havin a larf!
[size=75]Black \'03, black leather, TTE lowering springs, Markiii pipe, Corky\'s plate, J-Spec steering wheel badge, club windscreen sticker, red calipers with Toyota styling, Toyota GB body kit, Goodyear F1 Eagles (GS-D3), Dev\'s keyhole covers, black (painted) J-Spec nose badge[/size]

heathstimpson

Quote from: "roger"
Quote from: "heathstimpson"My bedroom sits above the double garage which has french doors leading to a full length balcony with nice views.

....until the MK Development Corporation add a few thousand more houses   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Luckily the area in front of me is protected so cannot be built upon. They have totally filled in the village in the nine years I have lived there but the parkland and old village brook in front of me remains  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Anyway I better get back on topic with the handbrake. Becuase my other car has an automatic brake I sometimes (like yesterday) forget when switching and drive off with the handbrake on  s:? :? s:?  The 2 pulls so well you don't even notice until you see the red indicator on the dash two seconds later  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Tem

Quote from: "kanujunkie"hmmm, wonder if i could wire the same thing up on mine  s:? :? s:?

The brake pedal part should be easy. There's already a switch on the pedal for the brake lights. Just route your START-position from the ignition through a relay, which is triggered on by the brake light...

kanujunkie

thats what i was thinking, then a new switch tack welded onto the clutch and the wife wont go jumping the car everywhere
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Bit off topic but
Quote from: "heathstimpson"
Quote from: "Liz"

You got a balcony!!
Oh yes its cheaper up north that's why I left London  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  My bedroom sits above the double garage which has french doors leading to a full length balcony with nice views. Should have moved up my way and saved yourself a fortune Liz  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Up north!!!!!!

Anonymous

Quote from: "kanujunkie"problem is i need more feet ...
Ah, another point in favour of the SMT!

Anonymous

Quote from: "heathstimpson"I sometimes (like yesterday) forget when switching and drive off with the handbrake on  s:? :? s:?  The 2 pulls so well you don't even notice until you see the red indicator on the dash two seconds later  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:
If you don't notice in the 2, try it when you've got an automatic with 450bhp!

Anonymous

Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "nic_wigan"check  the handbrake is in neutral

Ermmmmmm...  s;) ;) s;)

is that not normal? hehe ok it was early for me when i wrote that   s:? :? s:?

Tags: