Power Steering Failure

Started by Jigwar, June 6, 2006, 11:05

philster_d

silverstone performance

leon_in_uk

oh right...

let me know how you sort your steering out and if i can do it myself at all without going to the mighty rip off mr t...
For sale: 3.5 v6 Nissan murano
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
Porsche Boxster 987, lapis blue, leather heated seats, xenons,, twin pipe...
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport
Silver MR-2, newish engine, clutch new alternator. Gutted Pre Cats..... MODS.....
HKS exhaust. markiii pipe, Anthracite Alloys. Red Calipers with Spyder decals. . Lowered 40mm. 03 vents, chrome jet washers lol... and my helpful Road Angel \":)\"

Anonymous

Quote from: "leon_in_uk"Yeah, I was reading this one and it is similar, but mine is a definite PS failure as the light is on and the car is like a juggernaut to get round corners at all speeds and angles. I am hoping its not the pump as the system shows intermittent signs of life, but needed some inspiration as to how to fully rectify this.
Steve

This happened to me at about 30k miles, fault was intermittant to begin with.  Pump replaced under under warranty, but drove for a few days (while Mr T got the part) without PS.

Actually I was impressed with how easy the '2 was to steer without power assist, apart from car park speeds, testimony to the excellent handling I reckon.  Was almost sorry when they fixed it, I was getting a good workout!

Anonymous

Help needed, the light is on and I have some pressure when the car is started which quickly fades.

Jigwar

Quote from: "Stewarty"Help needed, the light is on and I have some pressure when the car is started which quickly fades.

Likely new pump required. Don't go to Toyota - they will want £850 for the pump + £200 to fit   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Try breakers for a second hand one, hopefully about £150 to £200, then get it fitted by a cheaper rate mechanic (trusted mechanic   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )

This was the solution to my problems listed above, as you say, seemingly 5 secs of power available everytime started up.

Steve
Jigwar
Past: \'51 plate
Present: \'06 plate TTET\'ed

Anonymous

Thanks! Fault codes 21 and 22 - looks like its the pump allright...

I'll check the obvious when (if!) it stops raining - could be as simple as low fluid or a bleed required....

Fortunately found full diagnostics on the web....

Anonymous

By the way - stupid question, but what spec is the Power Steering fluid?

I have some Dexron 3 grade stuff here, but I've been Googling for about 3 hours without success! Nothing in the handbook either....

Anonymous

Just had an interesting conversation with my local Mr T Parts Manager - they are adamant that the PS sysem on my 2001 roadster takes Dexron-III.

Having looked at all of the forums, Google e.t.c the concensus is that it is Toyota ATF-IV - part no. T08886-01206....which has completely different characteristics....

This one has been done to death I know, but it is a bit unnerving that my local dealer is recommending the wrong oil! He even checked with the Workshop Manager who confirms they use Dexron-III....

Scary!

Or are they right???

Tags: