engine heat

Started by Anonymous, June 12, 2006, 22:16

Anonymous

I'm just about to fit a che manifold and am going to run without the heat shields (I think it will look better!). Then I'm going to replace the bit under the engine cover with some sort of mesh (Ripspeed or whatever) All of this is covered well by previous posts but I will also be using an ali baggage rack later in the year to go to Germany (mainly high speed autobahn stuff but will not be able to avoid town traffic). I'm a bit worried about heat build up on the luggage (suitcase!) given the modification.
Has anyone got experience of anything similar?
Thanks

dieamond

did it with a PPE header (no heatshield), no dip tray and a luggage rack : suitcase was hot, but cooled enough by the flowing air  :-) :-) :-)

don't put make up or camenbert in there, thought  s:-D :-D s:-D
TRD - Cusco - C-One - Tom\'s - Amuse - Top secret - Veilside - Spoon - Blitz - Invidia
JUN - Racing Gear - APR Performance - HKS - Apexi - Project Mu - Trial

Anonymous

thanks dieamond

I'll go for it
Better bring back red rather than white though   s:P :P s:P

Anonymous

The heat shield is there to keep heat in the manifold; Hot exhaust gasses flow faster.  It will also protect the finish some.  I had the leather straps that were optional with the Classic Carrier get so hot (with heat shield and TRD header) that it "cooked" the leather (lost its softness, got thinner, like beef jerky).

Anonymous

Quote from: "sandstrain"I'm just about to fit a che manifold and am going to run without the heat shields (I think it will look better!). Then I'm going to replace the bit under the engine cover with some sort of mesh (Ripspeed or whatever) All of this is covered well by previous posts but I will also be using an ali baggage rack later in the year to go to Germany (mainly high speed autobahn stuff but will not be able to avoid town traffic). I'm a bit worried about heat build up on the luggage (suitcase!) given the modification.
Has anyone got experience of anything similar?
Thanks

I would think twice about not fitting the heat shields, stainless does seem to run a lot hotter, especially in this weather. the heat haze coming out of the engine cover is pretty amazing   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

kanujunkie

Quote from: "FGRob"I would think twice about not fitting the heat shields, stainless does seem to run a lot hotter, especially in this weather. the heat haze coming out of the engine cover is pretty amazing   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

get  turbo then, it completely distorts when it gets real hot  s:? :? s:?  

remember the golden rule, keep the engine cool and the performance can be played with, let it get hot and you only dent the performance
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

So Whats the best way to keep it Cool?

Heat Wrap, Ceramic Coating or Fan in Bonnet Lid like TTE Turbo?

kanujunkie

Quote from: "kj"So Whats the best way to keep it Cool?

all the above, plus dont forget your trying to cool the engine as well, that means removing the heat from inside as well as out. So upgraded oil cooler, radiators etc etc, use your imagination, thats the beauty of modification
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "kanujunkie"get  turbo then, it completely distorts when it gets real hot  s:? :? s:?  

Yep that's why I'm sticking with a conventional design, I don't fancy the idea of a molten plastic design back end  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

kanujunkie

with the heatshield for the exhaust in its fine, the others can be removed if you really want, but remember Mr.T put them there for a reason
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

If you look at the design of the TRD stainless manifold - which the Che manifold is a copy of, it has the fitting for the heat shields which means they reccommend the re-fitting of them - you would think  s:? :? s:?  Plus if they can't see it then the warranty is not such a problem  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

kanujunkie

Quote from: "FGRob"Plus if they can't see it then the warranty is not such a problem  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "kanujunkie"
Quote from: "FGRob"Plus if they can't see it then the warranty is not such a problem  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

s:D :D s:D    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

markiii

Quote from: "kj"So Whats the best way to keep it Cool?

I'd ceramic coat it
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Does anyone know much about ceramic coating (Yes Ive tried the search  s:) :) s:)  ) Ive seen an add in PPC  for a ceramic paint. Is this normal? Do you just paint it or do you have to treat it to high temps

dieamond

m http://www.hpcoatings.com/ m

They have a facility in France, so I bet it's the same in UK  :-) :-) :-)
TRD - Cusco - C-One - Tom\'s - Amuse - Top secret - Veilside - Spoon - Blitz - Invidia
JUN - Racing Gear - APR Performance - HKS - Apexi - Project Mu - Trial

Anonymous

Im searching google but no luck so far in Ireland

philster_d

Ah the un-luck of the Irish    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

kanujunkie

theres this lot that coated my kit

m http://www.camcoat.u-net.com/ m
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Whilst I think that Lee's old car looked blinkin' awful in the engine bay (:wink:), all that exhaust wrap he used everywhere made an incredible difference to the underbonnet temps at Anglesea, so much so that I wouldn't hesitate in recommending doing something like that if you're worried about it getting a bit warm under there.

spit

Quote from: "kj"Does anyone know much about ceramic coating (Yes Ive tried the search  ) Ive seen an add in PPC for a ceramic paint. Is this normal? Do you just paint it or do you have to treat it to high temps

Stu has posted the Camcoat link above, but you can have a go yourself if you want. The paint is available from Demon Tweeks (and others) in black, dark blue or chrome (here). Note that Camcoat use a build-up of several different coats in their process though.

Yes, you'll need access to an oven. Go get friendly with your local Pizza place  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

Do you just do the Header or is it better to do the whole system, header cat and exhaust?

kanujunkie

Quote from: "kj"Do you just do the Header or is it better to do the whole system, header cat and exhaust?

whole system, right down to the exhaust tips
[size=100]Stu[/size]

kanujunkie

to give you an idea of how well this stuff works i can touch the exhaust box after a 10mile drive, the header however is way too hot to touch even with a triple coat of the stuff
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

I might give the exhaust wrap a try, just to cool things down a bit, I am sure I can do a nice tidy job of it so as not to upset Dan  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tags: