engine heat

Started by Anonymous, June 12, 2006, 22:16

markiii

use the silicon spray to seal it after or it will hold moisture and promote rot
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

If you are driving the car daily, is it likely to be damp for long enough, given the temperatures we are talking about

Anonymous

Paint first then wrap - some people say this helps prevent the rot. I stress the helps - I've wrapped steel mini manifolds after painting them and they still rusted.

Anonymous

Its already painted, but I might give it another coat first. What are the consequences to the tune, if any, with keeping the heat in the exhaust for longer guys

markiii

no issues with the tune, buut if you seal it with teh silicone pray you get the best of both worlds
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

kanujunkie

Quote from: "turbo steve"Its already painted, but I might give it another coat first. What are the consequences to the tune, if any, with keeping the heat in the exhaust for longer guys

should be fine on that score, the main issue is when the heat enters the engine bay and causes the the air inlet temps to rise, the paint should keep that in and throw it overboard
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

thanks  guys  s:) :) s:)

enid_b

Ok, so ive dug this one up from the depths.

Recently swapped the manifolds over, and removed the heatshields in the process.  due to all the rusty bolts that attach it, i thought i would replace them some time in the future.

I have a question.

What is the purpose of the Heatshield around the manifold.  Is it to keep the heat in as suggested on page 1 of this thread, or is it there to protect the other engine components nearby, i.e. melting the O2 sensor wires etc.

Any guidance would be gratefully received.

E
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

aaronjb

Let's put it this way:

I don't have one.
Nothing has caught fire yet.

s;) ;) s;)

The stock manifold is fugly though, especially with no drip tray above it to stop it collecting water  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

rtbiscuit

basics if i am right are that ehaust gases move quicker the hotter they are. the hotter it gets the quicker they move and the move you shift out your rear.

the more you can shift the more you can take in, and there for the more fuel you use, and combined with the air the more power.

this is true to an extent, but the role that it plays on the mr2 is marginal. i think we would be talking 0. something of a bhp. if it was an f1 car, then it would be different.

please correct or adjust where neccessary if i am off the mark!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

Anonymous

I am getting some heat wrap to go on my Che manifold because i am removing the heat shields (extra weight!), but where can i get the silicon spray from to go over it?

markiii

Demon Tweeks

Anonymous

Cheers Mark  s:D :D s:D

Tags: