Cleaning the canvas roof

Started by Anonymous, June 23, 2006, 18:55

Anonymous

I am sure there are some links to this but in a nutshell what is the best way to clean the canvas roof  s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:  
I have a MR2 RED so its obviously a red roof not sure if this makes much difference ref cleaning materials.  s:!: :!: s:!:    s:!: :!: s:!:    s:!: :!: s:!:    s:!: :!: s:!:

spit

Quote from: "oggie1".....in a nutshell what is the best way to clean the canvas roof  s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:  

In a nutshell click here  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Many use a silicone-rich bumper care product. Type in "bumper care" and it'll come up with several links about the hood, what its made of, what its not made of(!) and the various products people use.

The Red hood only differs in colour as far as i'm aware.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

celmacmat

I find that you can get a great finish with Autoglym Rubber & Vinyl Care...less messy than bumper care and easy to apply
Celine
Black Porsche 968 Club Sport

Haslamr2

Quote from: "celmacmat"I find that you can get a great finish with Autoglym Rubber & Vinyl Care...less messy than bumper care and easy to apply

After seeing yours Celine I'm following suit this week end!   s:D :D s:D
[size=75]05 MR2 1.8 VVT-i Roadster Red Spec Edit, TTE Dual exhaust TTE Lowering springs
Ali Larter in the passenger seat...lovin it!!! [/size]

Ernie Ball

Autoglym vinyl and rubber care is great . . .

until it rains.

And then you've got it all over your windows and paintwork and nothing short of a full wash will get it off.

I'm still searching for the perfect product.  Might have to import some of that Griot's stuff that the spyderchat folks recommend.

Haslamr2

Quote from: "Ernie Ball"Autoglym vinyl and rubber care is great . . .

until it rains.

And then you've got it all over your windows and paintwork and nothing short of a full wash will get it off.

I'm still searching for the perfect product.  Might have to import some of that Griot's stuff that the spyderchat folks recommend.

D'oh!!!
[size=75]05 MR2 1.8 VVT-i Roadster Red Spec Edit, TTE Dual exhaust TTE Lowering springs
Ali Larter in the passenger seat...lovin it!!! [/size]

Tem

until it rains.

You're using too much of it. When you apply the right amount of bumper care, rain won't get any of it off and you won't get any marks anywhere. You can even press your hand or white piece of cloth on it and it won't stain.

I use a piece of foam from an old sofa. Just put a DROP of bumper care on it and RUB it into the top. It's slower than wetting it with the stuff and harder to apply, but surely worth it. Only takes like 5 drops to do the whole top. Use more and you will have it all over your car.  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Ernie Ball

Quote from: "Tem"

until it rains.

You're using too much of it. When you apply the right amount of bumper care, rain won't get any of it off and you won't get any marks anywhere. You can even press your hand or white piece of cloth on it and it won't stain.

I use a piece of foam from an old sofa. Just put a DROP of bumper care on it and RUB it into the top. It's slower than wetting it with the stuff and harder to apply, but surely worth it. Only takes like 5 drops to do the whole top. Use more and you will have it all over your car.  s8) 8) s8)

I think we're talking about different products.  I'm talking about the Vinyl and Rubber Care, which is a light yellow spray.  The Bumper Care is a different product: a green gel.  I have some of that on hand but haven't tried it yet.  I must say that it did work wonders on the plastics below the windscreen.

spit

I've used the Gel - Bumper Care - on occasion and haven't had any run-off and streaking onto the paintwork. And yes, its great for plastics, vents and hood and windscreen surrounds (if you're careful applying it).

It works nicely, but I've never had a lasting finish on the hood - it seems to hold a sandy-type discolouration in the diamond-shaped dimples of the fabric. No idea what it is. The gel appears to remove it but in effect it probably just masks it.

I'll have my valet take a look at it  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

roger

I use the vinyl and rubber care and never had any problems with run off.

I certainly use sparingly and rub it in well. Could you be using too much Steve?
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

celmacmat

until it rains.

I did not experience this myself...

I spray a little and with a clean dry cotton cloth I rub it in circling motion uniformly... it gives a shinny effect and as it is slightly greasy, it protect the roof from damage from the sun...
Celine
Black Porsche 968 Club Sport

Ernie Ball

Quote from: "roger"I use the vinyl and rubber care and never had any problems with run off.

I certainly use sparingly and rub it in well. Could you be using too much Steve?

It's possible of course.  But it's such a pain to get it off that I'm not inclined to experiment.

I just did the Renovo two-step process (Vinyl cleaner and ultraproofer).  Results have been mixed: the top looked great at first and the water beads up nicely.  But a day later some of the brush strokes used to apply the stuff are visible.  I have no idea why, since I applied both products fairly evenly.  I might try reapplying the ultraproofer, since I think that was the problematic one.

These products are not cheap, however (£20 or so for the two, which amount to at most 2 applications).

I'm going to get some of that Griot's stuff from the states that Dev on SC waxes on (pun intended) about.

Tem

Quote from: "Ernie Ball"I'm talking about the Vinyl and Rubber Care, which is a light yellow spray.

Ah, but why would anyone use it as Autoglym recommended using Bumper Care for our top?  s8) 8) s8)

Though I still think the problem is the same. There must be too much of it, if it runs off.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Two's Company

Quote from: "spit"I'll have my valet take a look at it  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

You rang   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I've been using the Renova cleaner and ultra proofer.  This beads the water nicely but I have found that it makes the top stiff and doesn't make it look black.

The Renovo has run out now so I'm going to experiment with a few different products.  I want a non greasy, matt black finish, probaby going to try Meguairs #38 trim gel and see how that works.

Stifler

I was going to ask Mr T when the cars in for a service this week, waht the best product to use is, does anyone know what toyota themself recommend?

Two's Company

Quote from: "Stifler"I was going to ask Mr T when the cars in for a service this week, waht the best product to use is, does anyone know what toyota themself recommend?

They don't recommend anything as far as I know.

roger

From the Autopia website:-

Although vinyl doesn't need waterproofing, vinyl tops do need protection.  Using a good vinyl top protectant, you can prevent discoloration damage from road grime, pollution, salt deposits, leaf gum and bird droppings.  The two products I recommend for vinyl top protection are Raggtopp Vinyl Protectant and 303 Aerospace Protectant.  Both offer excellent UV protection.  Vinyl tops should be treated monthly.

Vinyl Top Protectant Instructions

Shake the top protectant for a few seconds.

Do not spray directly onto the top.  Spray or pour the protectant on a foam applicator or sponge, and use the applicator to apply the protectant to your top.  Start in the center on one side, and work toward your body in even, back-and-forth wipes.  Repeat on the other side.

Allow the protectant to soak in for 3 to 5 minutes, and then buff dry with a clean microfiber towel or terry cloth detailing towel.
Roger

philster_d

I am currently working on a possible affiliate who are in the field of car cleaning products like meguiars etc.

I am hoping they will also be able to help and guide us with this kind of thing too.

Ill keep you guys updated.

/Philster.

roger

Quote from: "philster_d"I am currently working on a possible affiliate who are in the field of car cleaning products like meguiars etc.

I am hoping they will also be able to help and guide us with this kind of thing too.

Ill keep you guys updated.

/Philster.

Can I ask who? By PM if necessary. I am sure there are plenty of guys / companies on  w www.detailingworld.co.uk w  who might be interested. They tend to have some of the more exotic stuff, as well as the megs, AG etc.
Roger

VVT-i

I use Meguiars Heavy Duty Vinyl Cleaner #39 and i find it very good (like the rest of the Meguiars range)

2005 MR2 Roadster  (Black)
P.E. Turbo and other stuff that gives 234BHP  \";)\"

Quote from: \"Wabbitkilla\"Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it\'s warmed up it slips in nicely.

kanujunkie

Quote from: "roger"303 Aerospace Protectant

hhhmmmmmm, now i wonder if i can get that from.............  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

The roof on my mr-s was looking grey not black. Used two 'renovo' products on it and it looks like a new roof! Firstly used their soft top cleaner which removed all the muck but didn't restore any colour. Then put on a layer of their 'vinyl soft top restorer' which was amazing. Was quite sceptical when I was applying it because it didn't look like it was going to do anything, but as it dried the roof changed colour. I now have a gleaming black roof!!

kanujunkie

mine was looking a bit tardy as well, 3 days later i hae a nice new shiney one  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

spit

Yeah, but you cheated  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

kanujunkie

Quote from: "spit"Yeah, but you cheated  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

and paid the price  s:( :( s:(
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Tags: